HF Habs: Taxi squad

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
So I guess, the AHL's return to operations is the big question here. Genuine prospects like Poehling, Juulsen, Fleury, Brooks and Primeau need to be on the ice asap............if the AHL cancels it's season, they should be on the taxi squad, otehrwise guys like Belzile, Dauphin, McNiven, Weal, Vejdemo/Teasdale,Ouelette etc..

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Assuming the AHL wont be playing right away...

STARTING LINEUP
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Byron
extras: Weal, Poehling

Chiarot-Weber
Romanov-Petry
Edmundson-Mete
extra: Kulak

Price-Allen

TAXI SQUAD
1) Primeau
2) Ouellet
3) Juulsen or Fleury
4) Vejdemo
5) Belzile
6) Blandisi or Dauphin

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
We're spending to the cap on 21 players. How is it that posters here put up 23 man rosters plus taxi squads? Are we not 21 + taxi squad?

Mete's new contract assures him the same salary in the AHL than he would get in the NHL, interestingly enough. Juulsen would need to go through waivers. Weal is the extra forward OR Juulsen the extra D. Taxi for Mete.

Reactions: 26Mats and ArtPeur

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Poehling, Juulsen, Fleury and Primeau all need to play games at the AHL level.

Belzile, Dauphin, Olofsson, Vejdemo, Lindgren/McNiven, and Leskinen are my guesses.

Believe you me.....Julien and Bergevin all need to win games too, so my guess is those players will be the best available.
But as some mentioned, it all depends if the AHL will be playing which I highly doubt.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Belzile, Dauphin, Olofsson, Vejdemo, Lindgren/McNiven, and Leskinen are my guesses.

Exactly, those young players need games. Maybe they will be part of the taxi squad to start the season if they NHL does indeed start a full month before the AHL but once the AHL is going, the young will be sent down to play.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Exactly, those young players need games. Maybe they will be part of the taxi squad to start the season if they NHL does indeed start a full month before the AHL but once the AHL is going, the young will be sent down to play.

Exactly, and I think the squad will change depending on trips, too.

Like if there is not a lot of games, they might wanna take the high end prospects.. or if there are guys banged up and its more likely they'll get in.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
NHL start date: Around January 13th
AHL Start date: Maybe February 5th

AHL players are available for a while.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
We're spending to the cap on 21 players. How is it that posters here put up 23 man rosters plus taxi squads? Are we not 21 + taxi squad?

Mete's new contract assures him the same salary in the AHL than he would get in the NHL, interestingly enough. Juulsen would need to go through waivers. Weal is the extra forward OR Juulsen the extra D. Taxi for Mete.

I'm thinking some people forgot we were over cap with all our signings. I'm also thinking the NHL gave a taxi squad to all teams because some were in cap problems

Reactions: Roadhouse

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
STARTING LINEUP
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Byron

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Kulak-Romanov
Extra: Mete

Price-Allen

Taxi Squad:
Weal-Dauphin-Belzile
Ouellet-Leskinen
Lindgren

That's assuming AHL games are being played.

Poehling, Juulsen, Fleury and Primeau all need to play games at the AHL level (assuming Juulsen clears waivers...). Vejdemo could refine his offensive game at the AHL level.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Yes to this, with Lindgren over McNiven. McNiven also needs to play.

Let's hope management gets it right.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Mete needs to go through waivers too, and has a much higher chance than Juulsen of being claimed. I think both Weal and Juulsen will have to go on waivers to get under the cap. And, we'mm have to go with a 21 man roster, plus 6 taco squaders: 12F, 7D, 2G, 6T (T for Taxi).

Taxi squad: Weal, Blandisi, Belzile, Ouellet, Leskinen, Lindgren. I like Vejdemo, but thin he also should be playing.

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Mete needs to go through waivers too, and has a much higher chance than Juulsen of being claimed. I think both Weal and Juulsen will have to go on waivers to get under the cap.

Mete is a known NHL quantity to other teams at this point. Juulsen isn't. I'm thinking he gets more interest if placed on waivers. Mete wouldn't complain salary wise.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mete is a known NHL quantity to other teams at this point. Juulsen isn't. I'm thinking he gets more interest if placed on waivers. Mete wouldn't complain salary wise.

Mete still has potential, something many your-career-will-only-be-as-good-as-you-are-at-21 Habs fans don't realize, but executives around the league do.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Mete, Schmete. I'd be more concerned about losing Kulak and I'm willing to trade him for Cap savings. Mete will never bring the offense you need to get from a smaller D like him. Endless talk about how he can hold his own defensively with active stick work is a long drawn out bore because, why would you be happy with a small D that can't be physical in his own end if all that he brings is okay D and no offense?

Kulak might be a better security if we need to move on from the combined 7M for Chiarot and Edmundson in the short term to fit other players in under the Cap. A little more expensive but, a better fix as seen in the past with Petry, at least, when his game is on.

If Romanov can progress into a top-4 role quickly, we might need to go...

Kulak - Petry
Romanov - Weber
Harris/Norlinder - Juulsen/Fleury

...sooner rather than later...

When Kulak is gone and Romanov is on his second contract we might be at...

Romanov - Petry
Harris/Norlinder - Weber
Guhle - Juulsen/Fleury/Norlinder/Harris

Beyond that, the post Weber-Petry era may well see a bunch of LDs playing on their off side as RDs for the Habs...

Reactions: Roadhouse

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Before the ahl starts: Poehling, Fleury, Juulsen, Weal, Ouelett, Lindgren

After ahl starts: Juulsen, Weal, Lindgren, Belzile

Hudon will be on the taxi squad if he is signed

Last edited:

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Before the ahl starts: Poehling, Fleury, Juulsen, Weal, Ouelett, Lindgren

After ahl starts: Juulsen, Weal, Lindgren, Belzile

Hudon will be on the taxi squad if he is signed

Before looks pretty spot on.
After: I still hope we can sneak Juulsen through waivers and get him lots of AHL ice time. Switch him for Ouellet who can do occasional spot duty.
I don't think we see Hudon until his European season wraps up. Hopefully he builds lots of confidence and becomes an x-factor late season for us

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Before looks pretty spot on.
After: I still hope we can sneak Juulsen through waivers and get him lots of AHL ice time. Switch him for Ouellet who can do occasional spot duty.
I don't think we see Hudon until his European season wraps up. Hopefully he builds lots of confidence and becomes an x-factor late season for us

I believe that ship has sailed and there's nothing coming back from that end. Even if it did, Hudon's return wouldn't be a game changer in the least, even as a depth piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad