Tavares in Arizona

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wrong. Clarkson was offered more by Edmonton which has better taxes than Toronto. Lucic was offered more by Montreal, not sure if it was enough to compensate for tax difference?? Stamkos was offered $3 million more per season by Toronto, combine that with increased marketing opportunities and he left some major coin on the table.
Of course you can pick a choose a player here and there, but most times is about money and term.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
:)I agree, there is a gun problem in the US. I thought Winterpeg has that title?
I think per capita Saskatoon, Regina, and Winnipeg kinda pass it around annually!!! And FTR we are heading for a gun problem in Canada, you just don't see the guns.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Of course you can pick a choose a player here and there, but most times is about money and term.
Agree but this thread is about Tavares, and contract for him will not be an issue for where he chooses to sign. In our own world same with OEL, he can pick where he wants to play and money won't decide that. Now a guy like Richardson, he takes the most money and term, as he should.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think per capita Saskatoon, Regina, and Winnipeg kinda pass it around annually!!! And FTR we are heading for a gun problem in Canada, you just don't see the guns.

So concealed is OK, just don't want to SEE them?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So concealed is OK, just don't want to SEE them?
Don't recall writing that?? Concealed carry is not legal in Canada, It's gangsters that have the guns. That is the gun problem North of the Border. I simply pointed out that folks looking at living in AZ who come from places that don't have Citizens carrying guns sometimes find it uncomfortable. It does not bother me.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Wrong. Clarkson was offered more by Edmonton which has better taxes than Toronto. Lucic was offered more by Montreal, not sure if it was enough to compensate for tax difference?? Stamkos was offered $3 million more per season by Toronto, combine that with increased marketing opportunities and he left some major coin on the table.
Not sure if all of what you are saying is true but it does prove my point of what players need to be paid in order to sign in Canada. Was there an article about Stamkos taking 3 mill less for 8 years? I didn't see it? Maybe the warm weather of Florida swayed his decision:)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not sure if all of what you are saying is true but it does prove my point of what players need to be paid in order to sign in Canada. Was there an article about Stamkos taking 3 mill less for 8 years? I didn't see it? Maybe the warm weather of Florida swayed his decision:)
You do know 2 of the three guys I mentioned signed in Canada right?? And Stamkos stayed with his original team, which is a good team. I don't think these 3 situations say bupkiss about players not choosing Canada. Maybe Stamkos likes the beach so AZ is also out for beach lovers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Or the woman walking around in bikinis? ;)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You do know 2 of the three guys I mentioned signed in Canada right?? And Stamkos stayed with his original team, which is a good team. I don't think these 3 situations say bupkiss about players not choosing Canada. Maybe Stamkos likes the beach so AZ is also out for beach lovers.
Yes, because Toronto an Edmonton way over paid, that is the only way they can attract players. Would love to see the proof that Stamkos took 30% less to stay in Florida too for 8 years. Your saying he passed on 20+ million?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yes, because Toronto an Edmonton way over paid, that is the only way they can attract players. Would love to see the proof that Stamkos took 30% less to stay in Florida too for 8 years. Your saying he passed on 20+ million?
Leafs offered Stamkos $12 or thereabouts according to media sources. It's easy to look back and say someone overpaid for a player but there were lineups for those players and Canadian teams won.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Leafs offered Stamkos $12 or thereabouts according to media sources. It's easy to look back and say someone overpaid for a player but there were lineups for those players and Canadian teams won.
Lucic/Clarkson were over pays before they played their first games. I don't believe the media sources, maybe planted by Toronto since they didn't sign him. If Tavares or his agent said it, different story.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Lucic/Clarkson were over pays before they played their first games. I don't believe the media sources, maybe planted by Toronto since they didn't sign him. If Tavares or his agent said it, different story.
Hindsight is always 20/20 and I assume you meant Stamkos. What agent or player is ever going to tell you what contract they turned down?? You are just being silly now.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hindsight is always 20/20 and I assume you meant Stamkos. What agent or player is ever going to tell you what contract they turned down?? You are just being silly now.
They could say we turned down more money/term to stay? Toronto never offered Stamkos 30% more then what he got from Florida. A little more, 500k/1 mill, maybe. The Lucic/Clarkson contracts were overpays, everyone thought that at the time, those weren't hindsight, they were predictable.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They could say we turned down more money/term to stay? Toronto never offered Stamkos 30% more then what he got from Florida. A little more, 500k/1 mill, maybe. The Lucic/Clarkson contracts were overpays, everyone thought that at the time, those weren't hindsight, they were predictable.
Pretty much every free agent signing is an over payment until you consider that multiple teams are offering similar contract, that kinda makes tgem market value. The players routinely don't live up to them. I might have been a bit off on Stamkos going off memory:

Toronto’s top management brass, the city’s Mayor, and several other key figureheads in the sports community, including corporate executives, reportedly met with Stamkos during the last week of June in an attempt to lure him to the Maple Leafs.
According to multiple sources with knowledge of those meetings, the Maple Leafs were preparing to offer Stamkos a seven-year, $73.5 million contract, which would have paid him $10.5 million, per season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Talked to someone today who was on a flight from Toronto to PHX, sitting next to Tavares. I have no way to verify and no further details, but feel free to let your imagination run wild...
Was it a realtor:)

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad