Tavares in Arizona

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Tavares won't come to AZ even if everything with the Coyotes is going right. We don't need the Coyotes to ever be in cap hell.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
0% chance.

He has a few big reasons to leave the Islanders:

1. Unstable ownership situation
2. Uncertain arena situation
3. Lack of on-ice success

All of those also apply here.

I suspect we would 31/31 on his list. This is the last nhl team he would consider. Not going to happen.
You're being overly optimistic. I'd rate it 32/31....Seattle has a better shot of signing him than we do :)

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Why would he leave his present home for AZ?? Get the Islanders a goalie and they are probably in the playoffs.
Kulomin, Halak, DeHaan and Hickey ($14M+ AAV) all roll off. They have 2 lottery picks and two 2nds on top of Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, etc. They're moving back to Long Island. They need a coaching change/different philosophy which will allow less shots...once that happens the Islanders will be regulars in the playoffs.

Many good reason for Tavares to resign with NYI.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They need a defensive minded, ideally experienced HC. Dare we say.....never mind.
I remember Tippett saying that Samuelsson did a perfect job running camp pending his arrival (he was a late hire after Gretzky abruptly quite very late into the off-season due to bankruptcy drama) because Samuelsson was very, very similar in terms of philosophy and approach. If Samuelsson is a less stubborn, but less accomplished Tippett, he might be a better fit, and a better bargain than Tippett himself would be.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I remember Tippett saying that Samuelsson did a perfect job running camp pending his arrival (he was a late hire after Gretzky abruptly quite very late into the off-season due to bankruptcy drama) because Samuelsson was very, very similar in terms of philosophy and approach. If Samuelsson is a less stubborn, but less accomplished Tippett, he might be a better fit, and a better bargain than Tippett himself would be.

I still maintain that Ulf is the reason why we, and then later the Rangers, had so much success with their defense.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think the Isles need a goalie before a coaching change. It's probably time to dump Garth Snow too. He shouldn't have sat on his hands at the deadline.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Haha He wants off of Long Island that much is clear. He will go to a marquee franchise. And the Coyotes are LAST in that category.
What is less then 0.00 percent?

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think the Isles need a goalie before a coaching change. It's probably time to dump Garth Snow too. He shouldn't have sat on his hands at the deadline.
It's such a mess, the Islanders lead in the NHL in GA, but also their goalies have the most saves. They play AHL quality defense. While the goalies haven't been great...structure and coaching have been worse.....and the GM, well he should be packing his bags in the next week.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I used to think there is no way we can attract, pay for, and sign Tavares, still do, but..... On ice, AZ would be a perfect place for Tavares, assuming we extend OEL, with all our young talent, pretty solid D core, and goal tending. If we are going to pay big money for anyone, I would do it for a solid young 1D in OEL and a solid young 1C in Tavares. Stay under 5 mill for any other contracts moving forward.

Assume we can afford it, how many other teams have the cap space and young talent? Assume he wants off the islanders for whatever reason. Chayka has made some pretty amazing moves, so you never know.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I can actually see Tavares signing in Toronto.
just like Stamkos was supposed to? probably not.
What is the most likely scenario? The Islanders trade his rights so Tavares can get a bigger contract and it's less of a hit to the team that receives him.
He is leaving Long island and a more probable destination is Montreal.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
My gut is telling me the Panthers.. Hope not but we shall see

Interesting. They did unload a bumch of cap last year, but that would be a strange and very uncertain plan.

I could also see Detroit making a push, they seem to be struggling with the idea of a rebuild and went hard for Stamkos. If Vegas gets out of the first round I could see them make a push too and would help attract Neal. I think they still need to prove to McPhee they are for real, even though he overpaid for Tatar (still fits their age group) to make that large of a splash that essentially ends any mass building of prospects.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I can actually see Tavares signing in Toronto.

Toronto gets bounced in the 1st round because their defense sucks.
We win the #1 pick.
Toronto signs Tavares.
We trade the #1 for Matthews.
Has the same chance of happening as me getting hit by lightning or winning the Powerball...

Reactions: Lilhoody

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If we get stable ownership with a new barn under construction, I could see Tavares and a lot of other UFA's coming here because they can raise a family without groupies camped out outside their home and without a throng of media. We have 2 reporters following the team, none on a full time basis. This makes Arizona a team which should be able to attract a Tavares in the future.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If we get stable ownership with a new barn under construction, I could see Tavares and a lot of other UFA's coming here because they can raise a family without groupies camped out outside their home and without a throng of media. We have 2 reporters following the team, none on a full time basis. This makes Arizona a team which should be able to attract a Tavares in the future.

Your assuming they don't like the attention and just want to be "regular guys." Some UFAs may like a break from fans or the media, but would probably get tired of it somewhat quickly (a season or two).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad