News: Tavares: "i want to stay on Long Island"

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
From what a friend of mine (who's mutual friends with Tavares' fiancé) has implied...

Chances Tavares stays with Islanders? 75%
Chances Tavares joins the Maple Leafs? 20%
Chances Tavares joins the Lightning? 4%
Chances Tavares joins a whole other team not named Montreal? 1%
Chances Tavares joins Montreal? -100%

Let's see where this goes!
i love it when implications mean where a player will sign

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Or we could just make a run at him in the off-season (assuming he makes it there obviously) and not have to give up any of our assets for him.

I can say pretty safely we're not going to clean out our prospect pool for only two months of Tavares.

One thing I forgot to put in my post was that this would be under a Sign & Trade situation.

Blues could try and get him in the offseason, but if I was Army, I would leverage the needs of the Islanders and make a deal; JT out of contract gives him far too many options and absolutely zero control of a team getting him but while under contract with the Isles, he's a literal lottery ticket the Isles could cash out for real blue chip prospects at D & Goal and those are assets the Blues have in excess.

You got a far, far better chance at getting him that way and make a real run in the playoffs this year. Center the deal around Allen, call up Husso and with Stastny's contract ending this year, you got a Blues team that'll rock the playoffs and go deep.

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
Islanders have arguably best goalie prospect in the league in Sorokin. Good luck centering a deal around JT with Jake Allen.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
One thing I forgot to put in my post was that this would be under a Sign & Trade situation.

Blues could try and get him in the offseason, but if I was Army, I would leverage the needs of the Islanders and make a deal; JT out of contract gives him far too many options and absolutely zero control of a team getting him but while under contract with the Isles, he's a literal lottery ticket the Isles could cash out for real blue chip prospects at D & Goal and those are assets the Blues have in excess.

You got a far, far better chance at getting him that way and make a real run in the playoffs this year. Center the deal around Allen, call up Husso and with Stastny's contract ending this year, you got a Blues team that'll rock the playoffs and go deep.

I know Carter Hutton is playing amazing right now but he is a career backup. He'll fall down to earth eventually. I doubt the Blues would do much noise with him as our starter and a rookie as our backup in the playoffs.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
98% chance he re-signs with the Islanders 1% chance he signs with Leafs, 0% Chance he signs with Habs, 1% chance he signs with another team

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
New arena won't be ready for 3 years, current team is life and death to make the playoffs, no goalie, not serious contenders for the Cup. I think there's a good chance he bolts for a new team as a UFA.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Islanders have arguably best goalie prospect in the league in Sorokin. Good luck centering a deal around JT with Jake Allen.

First, I know he is up there, but Sorokin is really in a grouping of 4-5 guys- and as someone else mentioned, the goalie position is such an impossible thing to judge in terms of potential. There is also n way in the world a guy in JT's position would have a young Russian goalie's potential be a factor in his decision. Even if he was considered the greatest goalie in 40 years, there is no way to predict when he will ever decide to come over. He did just resign for 3 years.

I think JT is a honorable guy. He also no doubt wants to win. Looking at where the Isles are and just comparing to other teams in the division, can anyone honestly say they are a top three team over the next 3-4 years?

I still think it a very good chance that he stays, but the arena problems certainly have not helped. The D and G positions need to be addressed as well.

I also have a hard time putting too much faith in a kid that is still a little over his first season i n the League. We have simply see now many guys come like stars and then fade. (I say this while also acknowledging that at 20, Barzal looks very much like the real deal.)

Hard to dislike a player like Tavares. Wish him the best.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
From the Leafs

Two 1sts
Two 2nds
Kap/Dermott/other 2nd tier prospect

Or

Nylander
1st
2nd

Close?
I wouldn’t trade for him but I’d sign him in a heartbeat as a UFA. Johnny wants to win, he’s come this far without a deal. May as well play out the string and save the team he’s going to 2or 3 valuable pieces.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I wouldn’t trade for him but I’d sign him in a heartbeat as a UFA. Johnny wants to win, he’s come this far without a deal. May as well play out the string and save the team he’s going to 2or 3 valuable pieces.
Stammer did the same thing and he reupped with Tampa.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
He should sign a small deal with the Leafs for 2-3 years, win a cup and go back and finish his career in a NYI team that would have more great young pieces from tanking for the few years he is away.

Reactions: MattySnipes

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

How many sign and trades have there been in the history of the NHL? Why would he weaken his future team?

From the Leafs

Two 1sts
Two 2nds
Kap/Dermott/other 2nd tier prospect

Or

Nylander
1st
2nd

Close?
It's very far from the nothing we would give up for a player who is either not going anywhere, going somewhere else, or we can get for free.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
I know it's likely been said, but my only issue is if he is going to stay why hasn't he signed already. I would believe that the Isle have made him offers by now, what is with the hold off. I thought forsure after the announcement that they would return to Long Island it would be followed by a long term deal, but nothing. I can't imagine many of the Isle players enjoy every home game being like a road game, having to travel to Brooklyn and then spend the day in a hotel....that wouldn't be a lot of fun.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He should sign a small deal with the Leafs for 2-3 years, win a cup and go back and finish his career in a NYI team that would have more great young pieces from tanking for the few years he is away.

My thoughts exactly. We can pay him his 12 or 13 million that he wants + he'll cash in on sponsorships too. To top it off it is his hometown team. I think he could go for it if Lou turns the charm on. Once the NYI arena is up and running he can sign a new UFA deal. Next season is the last year we'll be competing with Matthews & Marner on their ELC.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Outside of NYI, I can see the Blues or Preds being a good fit.

Don’t think he’ll want to play behind Matthews, don’t think he’ll want to play on a poor Hab team, do not think Tampa can afford him in the context of Stamkos, Kucherov, Vas, and Hedman.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
There is a literal 0% chance any player in tavares' position will ever do anything like that.

Why not? It literally benefits everyone:
JT has a much better chance at getting the cup
He still makes very good money, just not quite the same, although NY taxes are awful too, so who knows? Especially when you factor in TO endorsements
We all know his heart is in NYI, so he gets to go back with a mature Barzal and a team with a lot more good/young pieces and he gets his big contract then (I doubt he becomes any less of a player over 2-3 years)

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Why not? It literally benefits everyone:
JT has a much better chance at getting the cup
He still makes very good money, just not quite the same, although NY taxes are awful too, so who knows? Especially when you factor in TO endorsements
We all know his heart is in NYI, so he gets to go back with a mature Barzal and a team with a lot more good/young pieces and he gets his big contract then (I doubt he becomes any less of a player over 2-3 years)

Nobody is taking the risk of a 2-3 year deal when theyll have 90+ mil on the table. i doubt he thinks hell become any less of a player either, but he still would never do it. God forbid injury etc, its just a horrible move and is why its rarely done. Keep dreaming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad