News: Tavares: "i want to stay on Long Island"

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Marner and Matthews are not up until the next season. Nobody knows what they will do with Marleau's 3rd year as it's been structured to be dumped, what the cap space increase will be the year afterwards and what Matthews, Nylander and Marner would sign for. Nor Tavares for that matter. I think there's a lot to be figured out before drawing such conclusions.

Matthews and Marners contract will be up in 2 years, and they could afford Tavares for next year, but after that they won't able to. So it makes no sense to sign Tavares.

Marleau is still getting paid over 4 million in real money in his last year, thats still a big amount.
I don't see a team acquiring his 6.3 million cap hit without sending some salary back.
Also Gardiner will want a raise on his current 4 m contract after next season.

The reason the cap increased a lot for next year is because of Vegas. It won't be increasing too much until a new expansion team arrives.

For the leafs to make it work, theres a lot of things that will have to go right (ex Matthews taking a discount, being able to dump Marleau without taking any salary back, etc.)
Buts its unlikely everything goes all in their favor.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Matthews and Marners contract will be up in 2 years, and they could afford Tavares for next year, but after that they won't able to. So it makes no sense to sign Tavares.

Marleau is still getting paid over 4 million in real money in his last year, thats still a big amount.
I don't see a team acquiring his 6.3 million cap hit without sending some salary back.

The reason the cap increased a lot for next year is because of Vegas. It won't be increasing too much until a new expansion team arrives.

For the leafs to make it work, theres a lot of things that will have to go right (ex Matthews taking a discount, being able to dump Marleau without taking any salary back, etc.)
Gardiner isn't gonna be re-signed and Marleau will Be traded to a cap team in his final year.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

Marleau's bonus gets paid out July 1st making his final year salary 1.25m. Why are you insisting on arguing with Leaf fans about Leafs? You do not know this situation as well as we do.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Marleau's bonus gets paid out July 1st making his final year salary 1.25m. Why are you insisting on arguing with Leaf fans about Leafs? You do not know this situation as well as we do.

Either way, Tavares will look at the cap situation of the teams interested, and he certainly won't like the amount of work that leafs will have to do just to accommodate his contract.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I have to wonder since he's saying all the right things if .....

A)--does he prefer snow using the two 1st rounders for some players that might get them into playoffs yet still get eliminated by TB , Wsh etc.

B)--since he's committing 8 years that those 2 first rounders go towards planting some seeds for the future that might help him and the team in years 5-6-7- 8 of his contract .

If it were up to me , I'd choose the long game and if things truly go south for the isles he can request a trade to a contender halfway through the contact.

Reactions: IODCPiper

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I have to wonder since he's saying all the right things if .....

A)--does he prefer snow using the two 1st rounders for some players that might get them into playoffs yet still get eliminated by TB , Wsh etc.

B)--since he's committing 8 years that those 2 first rounders go towards planting some seeds for the future that might help him and the team in years 5-6-7- 8 of his contract .

If it were up to me , I'd choose the long game and if things truly go south for the isles he can request a trade to a contender halfway through the contact.

Players like that don’t get traded often especially at cap hits like that. Unless it’s like Tavares for Kane or something like that. Unreasonable.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't claim to know Tavares and his career goals, but the Islanders better do something at the TDL/the offseason.

Two missing D-men make their warts noticeable.

I don't see J.T. wanting max. dollars, but I do see a guy that wants to win.

If things don't shape up I can see him entertaining offers.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Except for the fact that Marleau, Horton and Martin's deals all come off the books after the 2019-2020 season. The Leafs will have cap space, don't you worry about that. And no chance Marner or Nylander get that much, we're not the Oilers as much as you'd like to wish.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Brown-Kadri-Kapanen

Damn...

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
From what a friend of mine (who's mutual friends with Tavares' fiancé) has implied...

Chances Tavares stays with Islanders? 75%
Chances Tavares joins the Maple Leafs? 20%
Chances Tavares joins the Lightning? 4%
Chances Tavares joins a whole other team not named Montreal? 1%
Chances Tavares joins Montreal? -100%

Let's see where this goes!

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If the stadium deal doesn't happen and the Isles can't get solid goaltending and top end D, JT isn't staying, and at the end of the day, him being moved might not be his choice.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I’m not really sure why people think the Belmont Arena has a chance of not happening. It’s happening. It’s a non issue.

Something about Elmont residents planning to file a lawsuit to stop it from happening may be one of the things on doubters minds. Many things can happen before 2021, the year the Arena is slated to open.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
From what a friend of mine (who's mutual friends with Tavares' fiancé) has implied...

Chances Tavares stays with Islanders? 75%
Chances Tavares joins the Maple Leafs? 20%
Chances Tavares joins the Lightning? 4%
Chances Tavares joins a whole other team not named Montreal? 1%
Chances Tavares joins Montreal? -100%

Let's see where this goes!

unless Tavares is willing to take a significant pay cut on years and term I do not see how Toronto is going to take him

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
If he really really wanted to be a part of the Isles long term he'd have signed a contract already.

A player under contract saying they want to stay put isn't news.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I honestly believe JT will get a contract with the Isles and they'll find a way to scrape together a legit Goaltender and some top 4 D. If they don't, if I'm Snow, I still say ship him to the Blues and clean out their prospect pool. You get Blue Chip Dmen and a legit netminder in Husso, Binnington or center a deal around Jake Allen. A legit Elite 1C is really that important to the Blues and with Stastny about to come off the books, they can pay him - plus those prospects will help in opening a long term window the Isles can build from.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I honestly believe JT will get a contract with the Isles and they'll find a way to scrape together a legit Goaltender and some top 4 D. If they don't, if I'm Snow, I still say ship him to the Blues and clean out their prospect pool. You get Blue Chip Dmen and a legit netminder in Husso, Binnington or center a deal around Jake Allen. A legit Elite 1C is really that important to the Blues and with Stastny about to come off the books, they can pay him - plus those prospects will help in opening a long term window the Isles can build from.

Or we could just make a run at him in the off-season (assuming he makes it there obviously) and not have to give up any of our assets for him.

I can say pretty safely we're not going to clean out our prospect pool for only two months of Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad