News: Tavares: "i want to stay on Long Island"

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
tumblr_nicov2iYBp1tqaeybo10_250.gif

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Not sure I totally buy it as A big Isles fan myself- but it is odd because he doesnt really make these kinds of statements.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I admire the loyalty but good luck getting that Cup there JT.

With the 12 mil he is gonna get a lot will be changing there.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
All players say that, but then again most elite players stay with their team.

He'll likely follow the standard elite player career trajectory:
1. Get drafted by a bad team.
2. Play well and get lots of hype. He'll want to leave when his ELC is up!
3. He re-signs with his original team through to UFA.
4. He'll definitely want to leave as a UFA!
5. He re-signs with his original team this time at above market value.
6. His play lags a bit and rumors are that the team is looking to move his "albatross" contract.
7. Finally, near the end of his career, he plays for like 20 teams in 3 years.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
"Man, listen, you know my heart, my soul and everything I have is in Orlando," Howard told RealGM. "I just can't leave it behind." -(Dwight Howard, 2012)

Good luck Isles.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
"Man, listen, you know my heart, my soul and everything I have is in Orlando," Howard told RealGM. "I just can't leave it behind." -(Dwight Howard, 2012)

Good luck Isles.

To quote myself here - just something I vividly remember as I lived in Orlando at the time. In no way do I think JT is as brainless or stupid as Dwight is/was. From the outside, big trades are always interesting but I also wish you guys the best (at least the best I can being in the same division)

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Not really news. He’s always said this. Move along. Still doesn’t make me feel any better. What else is he supposed to say in the middle of the season?
I personally don't get why he hasn't re-signed if he truly felt that way. I mean, don't these guys have agents to worry about the dirty details? Tavares stays where he has lived for sometime now, so that isn't a worry, and the money is probably what he wants at this point... Why he hasn't re-signed yet leaves me feeling weird about the whole situation.

The whole 'the player is focusing on the season first and then the contract after' excuse is exactly that and has been in the past. Not saying JT or the Islanders won't come to an agreement, but that has never made any sense. Many players sign during the season.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
In before Tavares extends with NYI for 8-8.5m per season to show off his loyalty. Stamkos 2.0

Reactions: Mork

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you want to stay, then sign! Unless the Islanders are low balling a contract offer? Doubt it but it's not adding up. If you don't believe in the team, you never will!

Looking at the Islanders, they have work to do before July 1st...

- $36M in projected cap space (Salary cap at a generous $80M) with 15 players already under contract. That leaves 8 players to sign to reach the 23 man roster

- Need a goalie and will still have Griess at $3.3M. Does Tavares and the Islanders believe Griess is the guy moving forward? Doubt it

- Key UFA's to sign. Tavares, Bailey, De Haan, Hickey

- Key RFA's to sign. Nelson, Pulock

Snow will have his hands full!

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
“........ but me and Doughty agreed to sign in Toronto as UFA’s, and I already know I will be centring Marner and will score a bazillion goals like that.”

In other news, Santa Claus is dating a Kardashian.......

Reactions: leetch99

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I'm not surprised. I fully expect him to stay in NYI. As a Canes fan, trust me when I say that you don't let true elite 1st liner centers go.

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad