News: Tavares: "i want to stay on Long Island"

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Well he was pushed out by Alex smith. Who's pushing out jt? Barzal?

No, the Redskins got Alex Smith because Cousins was determined not to stay, despite saying all the right things in public.

Anyway, my point is, what else could JT possibly say? If he doesn't act like a team guy, his value goes down. So no matter how he really feels this is what he has to say. You'll know his real intent after he signs his next contract.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hmmmm, Is there a chance that if the Islanders are out of major contention at the trade deadline, the Islanders promise to give JT say 13 Million if he promises to resign, allowing them to get some nice assets out of the deal?

If JT loves the Island so much and wants to win there why not allow them to do this and get some free assets.

Islanders get free Assets
JT gets chance at cup and possible salary increase due to assets he was able to get the Islanders.
If they did this without making it clear that he was absolutely only a rental, I doubt there would be many teams willing to deal with them going forward. Generally, GMs don't actively try to screw each other over. It's bad business.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The replies in this thread are funny. Isles fans are stating how this really is not news and fans of 30 other teams are saying this means nothing in hopes of Tavares leaving and signing with their team.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The replies in this thread are funny. Isles fans are stating how this really is not news and fans of 30 other teams are saying this means nothing in hopes of Tavares leaving and signing with their team.
It's only believable if a player states "I want out." Players always say their current team is their preferred choice. That may even be a requirement.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I don't understand why he would stay, and I say this as an Isles fan. This organization is a dumpster fire. Not only that, the GM just stated yesterday that he will use injuries as the excuse if/when team misses the playoffs. I think it's clear John deserves better. But it's his decision, not ours. But if he really chooses to stay then I hope it comes at the cost of a new GM and a new direction. This ship is rudderless.

Reactions: 12Dog

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Steve Stamkos left LITERALLY millions on the table just 8 months ago.

Did he net-wise?

I am not a tax-expert. But I have friends that work in finance that have moved to Texas and Florida because of the money they save on taxes- not to add the cost of living...

So, can someone tell me if making $11.5/year in Toronto is close to $9.5 in Tampa? Again, taking into account the cost of living and the fact that he already owns a house in TB, and doesn't need to spend money on moving (he is married) I am not sure if in the end he left "millions" on the table.

We are also talking about a player choosing to "stay" with a long term contract. Not take a 3 year deal and the chance that he incurs a career ending injury leaving $50-60 million on the table. So, not offense, but your post doesn't really respond in correct context to my comment.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
If JT stays with the Islanders he doesn't care about winning anytime soon in his career. He must also not care much about convenience in his daily life. I mean practices on the island, games in brooklyn, then a new game location next year, then a new game location the year after that....higher taxes etc etc.

If he does stay, he's the most loyal person I've ever seen. Islander fans should honor him forever.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If JT stays with the Islanders he doesn't care about winning anytime soon in his career. He must also not care much about convenience in his daily life. I mean practices on the island, games in brooklyn, then a new game location next year, then a new game location the year after that....higher taxes etc etc.

If he does stay, he's the most loyal person I've ever seen. Islander fans should honor him forever.

The isles have been decimated by injuries and are still right in the middle of a playoff berth. I don’t understand the idea that if he stays with the isles he somehow doesn’t care about winning? Fun fact, Thier other top players who have stayed with their teams who haven’t won a cup. Ovi snd Bsckstrom. Benn. Giroux. Price.

I agree that it’s not ideal to play in different home arenas but in 3 years they will be playing in the newest arena the NHL has and it will be closer to home. I the meantime they don’t have to go to Brooklyn for every game. They have a world class state of the art practice facility already.

If Tavares leaves because he thinks he has a better shot at a cup elsewhere that’s fine. But let’s not act like the isles don’t have talent and have been perennial losers the last few years.

Reactions: PWJunior

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Boring. Expect nothing else from NHL-players these days. Hopefully more GMs like Poile arrives so that there'll be more trades that includes big names going forward.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
As much as the guy wants to "stay" if no deal is signed before the deadline personally I would want him moved if I was an Islanders fan. Can't afford to take that chance and lose him on July 1st

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
As much as the guy wants to "stay" if no deal is signed before the deadline personally I would want him moved if I was an Islanders fan. Can't afford to take that chance and lose him on July 1st

Agree, unless he has some verbal agreement with management.

Or, If Isles are out of the playoff hunt and he is still noncommittal, I'm moving him and Bailey. Isles could have 4 first rounders in a very strong draft.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Agree, unless he has some verbal agreement with management.

Or, If Isles are out of the playoff hunt and he is still noncommittal, I'm moving him and Bailey. Isles could have 4 first rounders in a very strong draft.

I don't know how the rest of your fan base sees it, but that's what I would do. Not easy to trade your franchise player but you have to do what's best for the team.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I don't know how the rest of your fan base sees it, but that's what I would do. Not easy to trade your franchise player but you have to do what's best for the team.

Not garth snow. He knows better than everyone else. 9 years on the job and this is the team he has to show for it. If i was tavares i would flat out say this organization needs a new direction and then leave. 8 years of his career on that contract and that GM couldnt do better than bailey on his wing. My god.

ALEXIVICH CHULKATURI

Dec 5, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
If the Islanders go 1-5 in the games coming up leading up to the Monday February 26 deadline he should get traded to a Western Conference favorite.

Would it be realistic to ask for

St. Louis Blues
C Tage Thompson
2018 First Round Pick
2018 Second Round Pick

Vegas Golden Knights
C Nick Suzuki
2018 First Round Pick
2018 Second Round Pick

Winnings Jets
C Kristian Vesalainen
2018 First Round Pick
2018 Second Round Pick

Nashville Predators
RW Eeli Tolvanen
2018 First Round Pick
2018 Second Round Pick

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
If the Islanders go 1-5 in the games coming up leading up to the Monday February 26 deadline he should get traded to a Western Conference favorite.

Would it be realistic to ask for

St. Louis Blues
C Tage Thompson
2018 First Round Pick
2018 Second Round Pick

Vegas Golden Knights
C Nick Suzuki
2018 First Round Pick
2018 Second Round Pick

Winnings Jets
C Kristian Vesalainen
2018 First Round Pick
2018 Second Round Pick

Nashville Predators
RW Eeli Tolvanen
2018 First Round Pick
2018 Second Round Pick
Cut NSH out since we don't have a 2nd in 2018, don't want to trade Tolvanen for a rental who we cannot afford with Joey also counting against the cap. Even if we trade Joey for JT, he's still testing the market.. He's going for top dollar if NYI doesn't stay within a mill of his asking price.
Literally impossible to have Tavares, Johansen, Bonino, Fisher, Jarnkrok, Sissons (Gaudreau, Pettersson) all as a center core.
There will be a place where Tavares will go (or stay), I really don't think it will be NSH. Even if the cap rises above 80 mill, Preds still have to account for Saros and Hartnell (even though they probably won't account to much cap, maximum of 2-3 mill. We just won't have the cap required to have Tavares if we have Johansen.
But of course I would love to have JT instead of RJ.

Hasn't Snow also stated many times that he won't be trading JT? Now it's a complete another discussion if that's a good idea or not...

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Did he net-wise?

I am not a tax-expert. But I have friends that work in finance that have moved to Texas and Florida because of the money they save on taxes- not to add the cost of living...

So, can someone tell me if making $11.5/year in Toronto is close to $9.5 in Tampa? Again, taking into account the cost of living and the fact that he already owns a house in TB, and doesn't need to spend money on moving (he is married) I am not sure if in the end he left "millions" on the table.

We are also talking about a player choosing to "stay" with a long term contract. Not take a 3 year deal and the chance that he incurs a career ending injury leaving $50-60 million on the table. So, not offense, but your post doesn't really respond in correct context to my comment.

From reading HF posts by tax experts, being in Florida is only a difference of a couple hundred thousand.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Thompson+picks for JT is a no-brainer. Hell, I'd even throw in our newest and bestest prospect, Vincenzo Arelliti, for free - assuming he isn't already packaged for Pacioretty like has been rumored.

Cap might be an issue at the deadline, but I think JT to STL in FA is more likely than some think. Although, I don't think NYI trades him at the TDL. I do think that JT doesn't return to NYI though.

Reactions: The Note

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad