News: Tavares: "i want to stay on Long Island"

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
My thoughts exactly. We can pay him his 12 or 13 million that he wants + he'll cash in on sponsorships too. To top it off it is his hometown team. I think he could go for it if Lou turns the charm on. Once the NYI arena is up and running he can sign a new UFA deal. Next season is the last year we'll be competing with Matthews & Marner on their ELC.

Absolutely!

I bet if Limelight Lou says please with a big smile and does a little jig, JT signs right away.

Hell, he may even lower is demands.

Turn that charm on big-guy.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
The whole narrative that he wouldn't want to sign with the leafs because he would have to play behind Matthews should be dismissed out of hand. The difference in ice time in a Babcock system would be minimal. In fact it would probably help increase his production. Slotting into a 1b center behind Matthews with the age of 30 on the horizon might be smartest career move he could make actually.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Lmao hey just let us dream while we still can.:sarcasm:

I know Tavares ain't going anywhere.

Thx for some reality... Can't ever imagine a player leaving so much money on the table...nhlpa would want his head...

However, is JT the sponsorship-type guy?

Such a quiet, private, low-key guy. And no offense to him, but he isn't really a "dream-boat" type either.

Sort of reminds me of Brian Leetch, who always seemed to lose the ad spots to teammates like Messier, Graves and Richter.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Hmmmm, Is there a chance that if the Islanders are out of major contention at the trade deadline, the Islanders promise to give JT say 13 Million if he promises to resign, allowing them to get some nice assets out of the deal?

If JT loves the Island so much and wants to win there why not allow them to do this and get some free assets.

Islanders get free Assets
JT gets chance at cup and possible salary increase due to assets he was able to get the Islanders.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Hmmmm, Is there a chance that if the Islanders are out of major contention at the trade deadline, the Islanders promise to give JT say 13 Million if he promises to resign, allowing them to get some nice assets out of the deal?

If JT loves the Island so much and wants to win there why not allow them to do this and get some free assets.

Islanders get free Assets
JT gets chance at cup and possible salary increase due to assets he was able to get the Islanders.

In theory that works fine, but in real life there tends to be gentlemens agreements and mutual respect and suchlike. How oftes does that happen?

I don't think the Isles would take the chance tbh, and in JTs case I think he'd rather see his name in the rafters knowing he played his entire career with the same organization. Either tyhat or he bolts off on July 1.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I don't even understand why you would bother to make this statement even if its earnest. You're serving nobody given the numerous examples of outright 'betrayal' that have been documented through the four major NA sports and beyond.

As a diehard Indians fan, I don't even bother to review the roster until a few weeks before spring training given what happened with Thome and Ramirez.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This is factually wrong first of all the highest state tax rate is CA with 13.3% plus all professional athletes are taxed on where their games are played not just for which state their team is from. To expound on this further I would be taxed 41 games in my home state and the other 41 games would be taxed in each state I play in. No way do you save 3 Million by playing in Florida compared to California, you would save between a half million and a million depending on what division you play in. Not chump change but nowhere near the advantage you think it is. And that is comparing Florida to California most states compared to Florida would be a couple hundred thousand, again not saying it doesn't make a difference but 3+ million couldn't be more wrong.

I have experience with doing Major League Baseball team employees tax returns.
Here's more about the jock tax if anyone cares:

https://www.mightytaxes.com/jock-tax-professional-athletes-state-tax/

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
My thoughts exactly. We can pay him his 12 or 13 million that he wants + he'll cash in on sponsorships too. To top it off it is his hometown team. I think he could go for it if Lou turns the charm on. Once the NYI arena is up and running he can sign a new UFA deal. Next season is the last year we'll be competing with Matthews & Marner on their ELC.
Hilarious! Let me throw tens of millions of dollars away to play the years right before I decline with the Leafs and risk injury and destroying my earning potential in the years that I need to bank. Every hockey players dream!! Endorsements are usually global partnerships and have barely anything to do at all with the team they play for. Those local deals are chump change.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Endorsements are usually global partnerships and have barely anything to do at all with the team they play for. Those local deals are chump change.

Maybe, maybe not.

Canadian Tire had that $3M cheque ready and waiting in the meeting for Stamkos.

He decided to re-sign in Tampa right?

Did he ever get that $3M cheque? I don't see Stamkos on that CT billboard when I went to buy my sons toboggan last week.

Reactions: Kurtz

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Really get the feeling that hes staying in long island. If he leaves, St louis is definitely the best set up to get him and Toronto would be my dark horse team to get him

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Nobody is taking the risk of a 2-3 year deal when theyll have 90+ mil on the table. i doubt he thinks hell become any less of a player either, but he still would never do it. God forbid injury etc, its just a horrible move and is why its rarely done. Keep dreaming

It depends where his priorities lie, if he only cares about securing money, he won't do it.

If he wants to win a cup and help NYI become great again, it completely makes sense.

Although maybe you're right, JT with only 40-50 million dollars v JT with 90+ million dollars is obviously a world of difference, I mean how is a man supposed to live with less than 10 lambos? SAD!

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
It depends where his priorities lie, if he only cares about securing money, he won't do it.

If he wants to win a cup and help NYI become great again, it completely makes sense.

Although maybe you're right, JT with only 40-50 million dollars v JT with 90+ million dollars is obviously a world of difference, I mean how is a man supposed to live with less than 10 lambos? SAD!

Easy to say youd leave 50 mil on the table when youll never be in that situation ever. Get a grip. Leaving 50 mil because 40 is still a lot is something that no smart (or any really, dont kid yourself) person would do

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He also went to the cup final with Tampa. Tampa also has Hedman and Kucherov. Why on earth do you think this is the same kind of situation?
because they're both franchise players. jt is trying his hardest to not re-sign here. ofc he will test the market to see what other offers are available but he will end up re-signing with the isles anyways

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
because they're both franchise players. jt is trying his hardest to not re-sign here. ofc he will test the market to see what other offers are available but he will end up re-signing with the isles anyways
Suter was a franchise player, so was Parise. Each situation is different. These guys are people with different lives/goals...just because you're a franchise player doesn't mean you all have to do the same thing. What if Tavares feels like he wants to go to a team that is a contender in which he could make a favourite.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
What Franchise player has left their team through free agency in the modern NHL?

What franchise player has made it this far into the season without a contract extension? Benn, Marchand, Price, Kane, Toews, Holtby, McDavid, Gaudreau, Hedman, Kessel, Rask, Letang, Kopitar (off the top of my head I am sure I'm missing plenty more) all signed their extensions before they even stepped onto the ice for their contract years.

Stamkos, Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk and Subban are the lone exceptions and we saw how the last 4 worked out.

And unfortunately for the Islanders, they don't have the best GM in all of sports (they probably have the worst), and two of the top 10 best players in the league to surround him with like the Lightning do.

And the Lightning literally went to the Stanley Cup Finals and the Eastern Conference Finals in the two years prior.

Stamkos and the Lightning isn't a good comparison for the Islanders and their hopes of signing Tavares.

So again, what information is out there right now in the public that makes you think it's likely he stays?

Reactions: redbull

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
What franchise player has made it this far into the season without a contract extension? Benn, Marchand, Price, Kane, Toews, Holtby, McDavid, Gaudreau, Hedman, Kessel, Rask, Letang, Kopitar (off the top of my head I am sure I'm missing plenty more) all signed their extensions before they even stepped onto the ice for their contract years.

Stamkos, Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk and Subban are the lone exceptions and we saw how the last 4 worked out.

And unfortunately for the Islanders, they don't have the best GM in all of sports (they probably have the worst), and two of the top 10 best players in the league to surround him with like the Lightning do.

And the Lightning literally went to the Stanley Cup Finals and the Eastern Conference Finals in the two years prior.

Stamkos and the Lightning isn't a good comparison for the Islanders and their hopes of signing Tavares.

So again, what information is out there right now in the public that makes you think it's likely he stays?

I think a lot of people put the fact he has been very interested in the club returning to long island as the reason he is going to stay. I'm sure they will at some point, but how long away is that? next year is supposed to be 50% games in long island, so that's a plus. But until the new building is up (3-4-5 years?) it's not a for sure.

Again I ask if he is going to sign, why hasn't he yet? We know what the cap will be next year, hes having a career type year, he should cash in ASAP prior to any possible injury etc...it's weird to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad