Tavares considered Bruins 'quite a bit' before signing with Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Your own players were so badly abused by your fans they literally refused to salute you to show their contempt.
There was no "abuse", lol. A few players were upset at an emotional point in the season, and made a stupid decision one time; without much planning and without everybody's knowledge. It got blown up by media, and then those players regretted doing it and called themselves out on it, and everybody moved on, except maybe some fringe media members desperately trying to get clicks.

And I know if I loved a team and city I would absolutely turn down $15 million to leave them.
What are you even talking about? He would have made the same amount in Toronto or NYI. However, he had no way of knowing that at the time, or if he'd get an offer at all, and throughout the entire season, NYI had serious concerns about their present and future. It's cool that your organization kinda got their **** together a couple weeks before free agency (which introduces it's own problem of dealing with all new people he didn't know), but you guys are all blasting him for not knowing months before that, and concocting weird self-hating conspiracies, when the truth is he loved both cities and teams and wanted to play for both, but when given all of the information and weighing against each other, there were more benefits and certainties to Toronto for him and his family, and he took his CBA-negotiated right after 9 years of giving a ton to a city and team that underappreciated and underpaid him.

Sometimes, in real life, it's more complicated than complete black and white, and you love more than one thing. Him choosing Toronto doesn't instantly mean that he hated NY or he knew all along. There are a million factors to consider. This is his and his family's life, the future and quality of life for his generations to come, and basically the rest of his career legacy. You guys are brushing it off like you're playing NHL 19. He earned the right to hear all sides and choose.

And no, you probably wouldn't turn down $15 million for what is essentially no reason.

And as for that last thing: I run in the "Hockey is the entire purpose of my life" crew in the NY Metro area. These are people who go to well over 100 pro games a year and have been for decades. They know everyone and everything that is going on in multiple organizations and it's all first hand. Example: years ago me and 2 friends went to Philly and my one friend said the other was good friends with Bernie Parent. I was thinking "yeah right". So we run into Bernie and his eyes light up like he's just met his long lost brother and he runs up to my friend almost in tears hugging him. My jaw bounced right off the floor.
:laugh:

:help:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Was is in similar fashion to Isles fans wishing death towards Mrs. Tavares on July 1st? Or was in more in line with comparing JT to a child molester? (ask CodeE what that means because I sure as hell don't) If Freud were still alive, he would have a field day on the Isles board.

Given that the Isles fans made your entire city meltdown worse than Chernobyl after 2/28 you might not want to play the mental illness card, just saying.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
At least it was in response to something that actually happened and not the uninformed delusions of a broken fanbase, but yes, that was disgraceful and disgusting, and nobody should have done that. And all of the media (including the most bias Toronto sources) and all of the fans (including the most biased fans) immediately called out those few that did that and blasted it and called it disgusting, even in the direct aftermath of one of their most emotional and disappointing and frustrating moments as a fan.
If it wasn't for the CBC cameras showing that image of Elisha Cuthbert wife looking at April Reimer's right after the Leafs lost in overtime, those idiots on Twitter never start with those disgusting tweets towards her.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Lol. Sure, bud. Whatever helps you sleep. :laugh:

Actually, NYI players have said nothing but nice and complimentary things about Tavares, his time with the Islanders, and the things he has done for the city. They have repeatedly said that he did nothing wrong. They have only come to his defense, even with full knowledge of the disgraceful position their fans were taking.

The fact that they played well might have something to do with some fans actually showing up that game.

Just because you have a good record in back-to-backs with your unsustainable numbers, doesn't mean every team does. We play a fast tempo game, we had a rookie backup with a lot of struggles, and for once, your building had people in it and there was energy and something to play for. Good job for winning your lopsided scenario, but thinking it means anything about the quality of the teams is pretty sad.
haha just about every game on Long Island was sold out this year, and I am assuring you Isles fans just do not bring the energy because that snake scum made his return, Isles fans bring an energy every game, even in the dark years when 9,000 people are in the crowd Isles fan bring an energy to the game, I am sure that is something you are not able to understand as even a regular season borderline meaningless Islanders game has more energy than a playoff Leaf game but it is the truth

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Given that the Isles fans made your entire city meltdown worse than Chernobyl after 2/28 you might not want to play the mental illness card, just saying.

I didn't notice any Leaf fans who were so triggered by a loss that they went out of their way to purchase a US flag for the sole reason of desecrating it. Just saying...

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Uh, no. One idiot in the media made stuff up about hotdogs to get anti-Leaf clicks, and Leaf fans everywhere said the guy was an idiot and we'd been saying he was an idiot for years. Non-Leaf fans agreed he was an idiot. And then all the non-Leaf fans started using it as a joke against Kessel, and calling him fat. Toronto fans spent years defending Kessel and shutting down stupid attacks, comments, and lies about his play and character.

Toronto fans also accepted when he left, even though we got less than we should have, and we had to retain. We accepted that it was necessary to move on and take the organization in a new direction that it sorely needed, just like Tavares going to UFA despite how much he loved the team and city was the kick in the pants the Islanders management needed to realize how much they had been failing, and do a 180.

Kessel has been welcomed and treated nicely whenever he returns, and we recognize and appreciate all he did for the team and city, and we cherish the memories, even if it led nowhere.
are literally all of you in Toronto pathological liars, does being a leaf fan mean you have to be a pathological liar? that is complete garbage about Kessel, you scum did not even give him a video tribute and you booed him in his return

Phil Kessel returns to Toronto, gets booed by fans

Letang calls out Leafs for not honoring Kessel

Reactions: sabremike

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
are literally all of you in Toronto pathological liars, does being a leaf fan mean you have to be a pathological liar? that is complete garbage about Kessel, you scum did not even give him a video tribute and you booed him in his return

The Leafs fans decided to boo because he scored the first goal against them on the night they had to win and clinch a playoff spot.

As for the Leafs not honoring him with a video, I assume it was because Brendan Shanahan held him responsible for salute gate and it's why he wanted Kessel to be traded.

However that doesn't take away the fact that Leafs fans still enjoyed Kessel during his time in Toronto and was the only fan base to stand up for him when he got bashed on here by non Leafs fans.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He could barely stay on his skates in year one, and without Moulson to feed he would have been widely considered a bust.
I am done with you, believe whatever gets you through the night.

Hahahahaha........are you.........hahahaha.......serious?

Enjoy your series win, it was well deserved. Why are some NYI fans still hung-up on Tavares leaving? You have Barzal to watch score once in every 28 games, who needs JT.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
The Leafs fans decided to boo because he scored the first goal against them on the night they had to win and clinch a playoff spot.

As for the Leafs not honoring him with a video, I assume it was because Brendan Shanahan held him responsible for salute gate and it's why he wanted Kessel to be traded.

However that doesn't take away the fact that Leafs fans still enjoyed Kessel during his time in Toronto and was the only fan base to stand up for him when he got bashed on here by non Leafs fans.
ha you are the must smug people that ever existed

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region

Fanbase boos former player playing on rival team. Great insight there, chap. So I guess you guys are even worse for how you treated your ex franchise player of 9 years during his return?

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Hahahahaha........are you.........hahahaha.......serious?

Enjoy your series win, it was well deserved. Why are some NYI fans still hung-up on Tavares leaving? You have Barzal to watch score once in every 28 games, who needs JT.
I watched most of the games, no kidding.
BTW Barzal has more points than Pajama Boy in the playoffs.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There was no "abuse", lol. A few players were upset at an emotional point in the season, and made a stupid decision one time; without much planning and without everybody's knowledge. It got blown up by media, and then those players regretted doing it and called themselves out on it, and everybody moved on, except maybe some fringe media members desperately trying to get clicks.

What are you even talking about? He would have made the same amount in Toronto or NYI. However, he had no way of knowing that at the time, or if he'd get an offer at all, and throughout the entire season, NYI had serious concerns about their present and future. It's cool that your organization kinda got their **** together a couple weeks before free agency (which introduces it's own problem of dealing with all new people he didn't know), but you guys are all blasting him for not knowing months before that, and concocting weird self-hating conspiracies, when the truth is he loved both cities and teams and wanted to play for both, but when given all of the information and weighing against each other, there were more benefits and certainties to Toronto for him and his family, and he took his CBA-negotiated right after 9 years of giving a ton to a city and team that underappreciated and underpaid him.

Sometimes, in real life, it's more complicated than complete black and white, and you love more than one thing. Him choosing Toronto doesn't instantly mean that he hated NY or he knew all along. There are a million factors to consider. This is his and his family's life, the future and quality of life for his generations to come, and basically the rest of his career legacy. You guys are brushing it off like you're playing NHL 19. He earned the right to hear all sides and choose.

And no, you probably wouldn't turn down $15 million for what is essentially no reason.

:laugh:

:help:
Look at the offer he got from the Leafs, look at the offer he got from the Isles and note there was a $15 million difference between the two. And it's funny that everyone misses the irony that as matter has developed if he HAD stayed he would actually have a better chance of winning a cup than he does in Toronto if for no other reason than they will have to go through the Tampa/Boston/Florida (assuming they sign Panarin and Bob) gauntlet for the foreseeable future.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You did not get to watch him fall on his butt all year either. I never said Moulson made him, just that he would have looked like a bust without him. Anyone familiar with the draft that year knows that his skating was a problem.
I don't even know what to say. This is just embarrassing.

There are multiple skills that create a good hockey player. Good skating or not, Tavares was a significant net positive even that first year, and was a bigger net positive than Moulson.

So, we are going to crash hard now that we have passed game #86.
No, that's not really how that works.

I know you wanted us to suck
I actually really didn't care. You weren't a big rivalry, you weren't in the same division, we were unlikely to be fighting you for a playoff spot; why would I care? If anything, until Islanders fans started being obnoxious and classless for no reason, if I had thought about the Islanders or had an opinion on them at all, it would have been that I hope they do better than expected, and your players did well, so you could move on like we did.

Then you had an amazing overachieving season and everyone is still crying and making stuff up, so....

but we finished with a better record than you, and dominated the series between the two teams.
You finished with an essentially identical record, and the season series didn't really say much, because the first 2 games were completely lopsided in terms of advantages for you, and the only even game was a close-fought 1-goal game that the Leafs won.

Hoping to see you later in the playoffs, to boot.
Yeah, that would be great, because that would mean the Leafs are in the ECF, and I like our chances with that match-up.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
You guys have thought about this for 17 years? Life beyond hockey, check it out.

Well, when something as stupid as a bunch of fat, unemployed lowlifes who gather around to burn a country flag where over 90% of your team is from, then yes, that level of stupidity tends to stick in one's mind over the course of time.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Fanbase boos former player playing on rival team. Great insight there, chap. So I guess you guys are even worse for how you treated your ex franchise player of 9 years during his return?
our franchise player lied and than used his former team to get more money from the team he fantasized about playing on all while he was captaining his current team, and no clown, I was calling out that above poster who made it sound that like you welcomed Kessel back and cheered him

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Please, tell us how to feel. We desperately need to know where we erred from the path of righteousness!

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Says the person with a fan base that had adults crying on TV before Tavares first game back in Long Island and was throwing rubber snakes at him during the pre game.

Not to mention them taking the better part of the year in practicing lame variations of cat calls, it's easy to see why we're living rent free in all of their heads.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018

For now. Might be still the case after tonight, might not. Also, I'm sure facts what matter to you but I see him referred to as Pajama Boy by a large amount of Islander fans on here........the photo showed Leaf bed sheets.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
For now. Might be still the case after tonight, might not. Also, I'm sure facts what matter to you but I see him referred to as Pajama Boy by a large amount of Islander fans on here........the photo showed Leaf bed sheets.
Were sets handed out on JT Day?
Pajama Boy is better than sheet boy, he might be confused with the KKK.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You realize a very similar situation once took place in Toronto, only it was the NBA and it was Vince Carter who was the franchise player who totally screwed over the Raptors and their fans. And when those fans reacted like the Isles fans in booing the hell out of the guy I had zero problem with it because you had every right to despise the guy. The Raptors fans weren't "classless" and neither were the Isles fans.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wow he has a whole 2 more points than Tavares.

How did they do in the regular season? Oh that's right Tavares had 47 goals and 88 points. Without having Tavares to protect Barzal from tougher matches he had 18 goals and 62 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad