Tavares considered Bruins 'quite a bit' before signing with Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I've got to admit I always have trouble with fan reactions to players leaving a team. I assume that as a player approaches free agency, there's a good chance that they'll be traded away or will simply leave. I never assume that they're coming back and would certainly never base my feelings on public statements or what people claim are public statements. If they do end up coming back, that's usually great. If not, oh well, you adjust and move on.

Like, right now, I don't assume that Mitch Marner will be a Leaf next year. I would like him to be, but the possibility certainly exists that he might not be back. And if so, that will be fine with me. If, for example, he signs an offer sheet with another team and the Leafs decide not to match, he'll be doing something the CBA entitles him to do, so it just seems silly to me to rant and rave about it on the Internet.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Finally some common ground!

Rocky Balboa: "You guys didn't like me, but if an Islanders fan and a Leafs fan can get along maybe there's hope for us all!!"

(Yes I know I'm screwing up the quote. Hard for me to rewatch that movie because I cry like a baby when Apolo Creed dies. Don't judge me!).

Hahaha...all good man. There's good and bad in both fanbases. It's just hard to sift through a thread and not react to some of the comments that I've happen to spot. Hook, line, sinker I suppose?

Reactions: sabremike

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Dion Phaneuf got a tribute video in his first game against the Leafs after he was traded to the Senators.
He may have, and it may have been implemented after he was traded (I mean, good or bad, he was also the captain). That may lead more to the idea that it was because of Kessel, but there's a bunch of articles referencing how Shanahan and Lou decided that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
actions speak louder than words, at least Carter is honest, I am assuring you last year Tavares DELIBERATELY did his part to make sure the Islanders did not make the playoffs, this is something I said at the time and now in now in retrospect it is pretty obvious
The Islanders were 2 points behind Columbus for a playoff spot during the 2018 trade deadline and Garth Snow didn't do anything to improve them which happened a lot during Tavares 9 years with them. So to outright lie and say Tavares did not do his part to get them into the playoffs last season is wrong.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
actions speak louder than words, at least Carter is honest, I am assuring you last year Tavares DELIBERATELY did his part to make sure the Islanders did not make the playoffs, this is something I said at the time and now in now in retrospect it is pretty obvious
Wow.

New low. Didn't know that was possible.

:help:

Reactions: LeafsNation75

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Tavares lied for years and than used the Islanders to get more money from the Leafs, you traded Kessel for assets when I am pretty sure he was fine in staying where he was, yea I am sure you have a right to be more angry at your player

I assume that all public statements by anyone are what they feel is the best for them to say at the time, so I seldom put much value on them. Heck, that's often the case for private statements as well.

It's quite possible that Tavares was lying; it's also possible that he changed his mind since the original statements were made. But I think the mistake is fans putting much value on public statements by anyone. And as for using the Islanders to get more money from the Leafs, that just seems like a standard negotiating technique.

I find it hard to get too worked up over something that really has very little effect on my life.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
The Islanders were 2 points behind Columbus for a playoff spot during the 2018 trade deadline and Garth Snow didn't do anything to improve them which happened a lot during Tavares 9 years with them. So to outright lie and say Tavares did not do his part to get them into the playoffs last season is wrong.
you are saying this as someone who I am guessing did not watch any Islander games outside of playing your team last year, I am saying this as someone who saw every game and KNEW Tavares would never re-sign, and when I saw Tavares essentially playing like garbage (unless there was an empty net goal to be had or garbage time points to be accumulated) I knew damn well he was doing his part to make sure the Islanders did not make the playoffs

Reactions: RMimagery

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I assume that all public statements by anyone are what they feel is the best for them to say at the time, so I seldom put much value on them. Heck, that's often the case for private statements as well.

It's quite possible that Tavares was lying; it's also possible that he changed his mind since the original statements were made. But I think the mistake is fans putting much value on public statements by anyone. And as for using the Islanders to get more money from the Leafs, that just seems like a standard negotiating technique.

I find it hard to get too worked up over something that really has very little effect on my life.
Didn't someone say Tavares was more likely to re-sign if they Lamoriello never fired Doug Weight and Garth Snow? Say what you want about their coaching and management decisions it's not like Tavares owed any loyalty to Lamoriello who was their President & GM for 40 days until Tavares officially signed in Toronto.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
you are saying this as someone who I am guessing did not watch any Islander games outside of playing your team last year, I am saying this as someone who saw every game and KNEW Tavares would never re-sign, and when I saw Tavares essentially playing like garbage (unless there was an empty net goal to be had or garbage time points to be accumulated) I knew damn well he was doing his part to make sure the Islanders did not make the playoffs
Yet during the year when Tavares was in contention for the Art Ross Trophy and finished 2nd behind Jamie Benn, I read a story where he was credited with a goal and Tavares said he never actually touched the puck and had the goal given to another Islanders player. He was told he should keep it to help him win the Art Ross and Tavares didn't want to be given a goal which he never scored.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You are citing the wrong Garth act of stupidity. The thing that Garth did to kill the team was the 3 goalie circus that led to Halak getting mad. Garth then exiled him to Bridgeport leaving the team with Greiss and Berube (who literally had no business being in the NHL and was being kept on the roster because Garth was insane and worried someone would claim him). Weight basically had no choice but to play Greiss on a nightly basis and predictably he got run into the ground. This should've cost Garth his job because his actions literally cost his team a playoff spot. Ironically JT suffered a season ending injury 10 days before the season ended and wouldn't have been able to play if the team had qualified.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Didn't someone say Tavares was more likely to re-sign if they Lamoriello never fired Doug Weight and Garth Snow? Say what you want about their coaching and management decisions it's not like Tavares owed any loyalty to Lamoriello who was their President & GM for 40 days until Tavares officially signed in Toronto.
ha as said this is what I am sure Tavares would want you to believe, he had about 300 days to sign here with Weight and Snow, but suddenly a Hall of Fame GM was put in charge and the coach who just won the Stanley Cup was added and that was his catalyst to leave, he wanted to play under a coach who gave up 45+ shots every game he just had 300 days to think about it and needed an extra week or 2

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
ha as said this is what I am sure Tavares would want you to believe, he had about 300 days to sign here with Weight and Snow, but suddenly a Hall of Fame GM was put in charge and the coach who just won the Stanley Cup was added and that was his catalyst to leave, he wanted to play under a coach who gave up 45+ shots every game he just had 300 days to think about it and needed an extra week or 2
Like I said before he didn't owe any loyalty to Lamoriello and him being a Hall of Fame GM should not have mattered.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Yet during the year when Tavares was in contention for the Art Ross Trophy and finished 2nd behind Jamie Benn, I read a story where he was credited with a goal and Tavares said he never actually touched the puck and had the goal given to another Islanders player. He was told he should keep it to help him win the Art Ross and Tavares didn't want to be given a goal which he never scored.
nice story, but I am not sure what that has to do with anything

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hahaha...all good man. There's good and bad in both fanbases. It's just hard to sift through a thread and not react to some of the comments that I've happen to spot. Hook, line, sinker I suppose?
Just as long as you aren't an Argos fan we're cool, that would be unforgivable!!!
FB_IMG_1554302739126.jpg

Oskie Wee Wee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
You are citing the wrong Garth act of stupidity. The thing that Garth did to kill the team was the 3 goalie circus that led to Halak getting mad. Garth then exiled him to Bridgeport leaving the team with Greiss and Berube (who literally had no business being in the NHL and was being kept on the roster because Garth was insane and worried someone would claim him). Weight basically had no choice but to play Greiss on a nightly basis and predictably he got run into the ground. This should've cost Garth his job because his actions literally cost his team a playoff spot. Ironically JT suffered a season ending injury 10 days before the season ended and wouldn't have been able to play if the team had qualified.

Speaking of Garth, does Jack Capuano still live in his basement? When I first heard about this, I literally LOL'ed. If those walls could talk...

Reactions: sabremike

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
nice story, but I am not sure what that has to do with anything
You said how last season Tavares basically quit on the Islanders and only tried going for empty net goals.

Bood12 said:
I am saying this as someone who saw every game and KNEW Tavares would never re-sign, and when I saw Tavares essentially playing like garbage (unless there was an empty net goal to be had or garbage time points to be accumulated)

In the example I gave Tavares told the official scorer to give Thomas Hickey a goal which was originally given to him because Tavares said he never deflecting the puck. Hickey told him to not do that since he was in contention for the Art Ross and Tavares did it anyway.

Islanders players come to Tavares' defense after Schremp's criticism

"It's silly to me," Islanders defenseman Thomas Hickey said. He then added an anecdote about when Tavares lost the 2014-15 scoring title by a single point after asking for his deflection to instead be credited to Hickey on a goal about halfway through the season.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tavares played all 82 games for the Islanders in his final season with them. So I see you are now resorting to lying about him having a fake injury.

John Tavares Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
No, I got the year screwed up. The scenario I recalled was in 2017 which was the year I thought you were talking with the Garth f*** up. 2018 he f***ed up by not getting rid of a historically terrible coach in Doug Weight (whose status as the gold standard for coaching suck lasted a mere season before being obliterated by Phail Housley).

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
You said how last season Tavares basically quit on the Islanders and only tried going for empty net goals.

In the example I gave Tavares told the official scorer to give Thomas Hickey a goal which was originally given to him because Tavares said he never deflecting the puck. Hickey told him to not do that since he was in contention for the Art Ross and Tavares did it anyway.

Islanders players come to Tavares' defense after Schremp's criticism
you are talking about 2014-15 I am talking about 2018, and I couldn't care less what his business associates say about his decision, the fans are the ones who are ultimately there for the long term and I am pretty sure care more about the team than the players, and I said garbage time goals also not just empty net goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad