Tavares considered Bruins 'quite a bit' before signing with Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lol. Sure, bud. Whatever helps you sleep. :laugh:

Actually, NYI players have said nothing but nice and complimentary things about Tavares, his time with the Islanders, and the things he has done for the city. They have repeatedly said that he did nothing wrong. They have only come to his defense, even with full knowledge of the disgraceful position their fans were taking.

The fact that they played well might have something to do with some fans actually showing up that game.

Just because you have a good record in back-to-backs with your unsustainable numbers, doesn't mean every team does. We play a fast tempo game, we had a rookie backup with a lot of struggles, and for once, your building had people in it and there was energy and something to play for. Good job for winning your lopsided scenario, but thinking it means anything about the quality of the teams is pretty sad.
Let's just say that what is being said for public consumption is one thing and what guys really think is another. Watch their reactions in both of those games, then try and tell me those games didn't mean anything to them or that they didn't have a point to prove. Oh and my idea of disgraceful is rage tweeting your star player for wishing his national team well, sending a storm of death threats to James Reimer's wife and your team declining to salute you after games in response to fans throwing shit on the ice.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Let's just say that what is being said for public consumption is one thing and what guys really think is another.
Because as has been made clear, July 1st hit, and NYI fans suddenly gained the ability to read minds and know intentions, even if everything points to the opposite, and everybody involved says the opposite, and it goes against common sense.

try and tell me those games didn't mean anything to them or that they didn't have a point to prove.
Wanting to win against your former teammate, and wanting to prove your team's competitiveness to them, especially when fans have actually decided to show up for once, does not equal having negative feelings about that teammate, or thinking they did anything wrong, or forgetting about all they did for them, their team, and their city.

Oh and my idea of disgraceful is rage tweeting your star player for wishing his national team well
I don't even know what you're talking about with this, that's how obscure/far back you had to go.

sending a storm of death threats to James Reimer's wife
At least it was in response to something that actually happened and not the uninformed delusions of a broken fanbase, but yes, that was disgraceful and disgusting, and nobody should have done that. And all of the media (including the most bias Toronto sources) and all of the fans (including the most biased fans) immediately called out those few that did that and blasted it and called it disgusting, even in the direct aftermath of one of their most emotional and disappointing and frustrating moments as a fan.

Islanders fans should be doing the same.

Last edited:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
At least Leafs fans were respectful towards Sundin when he played against them that night even though he wished not to be traded, saying he didn't want to be a rental player and it caused other Leafs players at the time to not accept any trades. Later on he signs with the Canucks during the next season and became a rental player. Anyway this was Leafs fans reactions towards Sundin in his welcome back video.

Wish we still had Johnny Malkin :naughty::laugh:

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Because as has been made clear, July 1st hit, and NYI fans suddenly gained the ability to read minds and know intentions, even if everything points to the opposite, and everybody involved says the opposite, and it goes against common sense.

I don't even know what you're talking about with this, that's how obscure/far back you had to go.

At least it was in response to something that actually happened and not the uninformed delusions of a broken fanbase, but yes, that was disgraceful and disgusting, and nobody should have done that. And all of the media (including the most bias Toronto sources) and all of the fans (including the most biased fans) immediately called out those few that did that and blasted it and called it disgusting.

Islanders fans should be doing the same.

All of the stuff that has been floated by his stooges in the Toronto hockey media since last July has done nothing but confirm the belief that John just strung the Islanders along and worked them because the team that he professed to love was little more than a pawn to get the best deal possible from the team he REALLY loved. Did you notice that story when the Leafs wanted to make the deal different from what he wanted and he threatened to go back to the Isles? The Isles were nothing but leverage. He actually thought he could con those fans and he was completely wrong because they saw right through him.

Oh, and the incident I referenced was when Auston Matthews (who as we all know comes from a place that doesn't deserve a team because it doesn't snow there, isn't north of Chicago and hasn't sold out 3,000 games in a row) tweeted his support to Team USA (Who he, you know, played for at the youth level since he's from America) and his alleged fans from north of the border flooded him with angry hate filled rage tweets for having the nerve to support his national team.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
All of the stuff that has been floated by his stooges in the Toronto hockey media since last July has done nothing but confirm the belief that John just strung the Islanders along and worked them because the team that he professed to love was little more than a pawn to get the best deal possible from the team he REALLY loved.
That is not at all true. Everything that has come out, from a wide variety of sources, has only helped prove the opposite, and that everything Tavares has said all along is true.

There is absolutely nothing that suggests that he strung the Islanders along, and fabricating intentions and backstories in your head from nothing doesn't change that.

Did you notice that story when the Leafs wanted to make the deal different from what he wanted and he threatened to go back to the Isles? The Isles were nothing but leverage.
Or, way more likely, he had multiple teams that he liked and would enjoy being a part of, including the Islanders, so if one of those teams was refusing to offer a contract that made sense for him, he'd naturally go back to one of the other teams. Since it seems that Islanders were the next most likely team being considered, that would be them. It's called normal negotiations and weighing of factors that every UFA goes through.

Even if this story exists and is true, you're applying your own opinion of his intentions and motivations again, with nothing to support it.

Also, do you not realize that you're essentially arguing against yourself? To be able to use leverage, that leverage must be real. Otherwise it's not leverage. That means that if he didn't get the offer he wanted, he was ready and willing to go back to the Islanders. Which means that during the season when he had no idea about what would be offered to him or by who (when he can't talk to other teams and Toronto wasn't even being considered as a destination by 99% of people/media because of their upcoming RFAs), his most likely destination was still the Islanders.

He actually thought he could con those fans and he was completely wrong because they saw right through him.
Good lord, the delusions...

Oh, and the incident I referenced was when Auston Matthews (who as we all know comes from a place that doesn't deserve a team because it doesn't snow there, isn't north of Chicago and hasn't sold out 3,000 games in a row) tweeted his support to Team USA (Who he, you know, played for at the youth level since he's from America) and his alleged fans from north of the border flooded him with angry hate filled rage tweets for having the nerve to support his national team.
I don't remember this ever happening, or anybody talking about it, and I can't find any articles or anything on google about it. Given everything else you've said, I have to imagine you are using hyperbole, and it was like one kid joking about national rivalries with Matthews on twitter.

If people were legitimately berating him, then again, it's stupid and shouldn't be done. That said, every fanbase has stupid individuals that like to talk on twitter. Naming individual things that some individual Leaf fan has said and we've all acknowledged is stupid does not excuse a large portion of Islanders fans from the disgraceful, classless behaviour they have shown, continue to show, and continue to try to justify.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That is not at all true. Everything that has come out, from a wide variety of sources, has only helped prove the opposite, and that everything Tavares has said all along is true.

There is absolutely nothing that suggests that he strung the Islanders along, and fabricating intentions and backstories in your head from nothing doesn't change that.

Or, way more likely, he had multiple teams that he liked and would enjoy being a part of, including the Islanders, so if one of those teams was refusing to offer a contract that made sense for him, he'd naturally go back to one of the other teams. Since it seems that Islanders were the next most likely team being considered, that would be them. It's called normal negotiations and weighing of factors that every UFA goes through.

Even if this story exists and is true, you're applying your own opinion of his intentions and motivations again, with nothing to support it.

Also, do you not realize that you're essentially arguing against yourself? To be able to use leverage, that leverage must be real. Otherwise it's not leverage. That means that if he didn't get the offer he wanted, he was ready and willing to go back to the Islanders. Which means that during the season when he had no idea about what would be offered to him or by who (when he can't talk to other teams and Toronto wasn't even being considered as a destination by 99% of people/media because of their upcoming RFAs), his most likely destination was still the Islanders.

Good lord, the delusions...

I don't remember this ever happening, or anybody talking about it, and I can't find any articles or anything on google about it. Given everything else you've said, I have to imagine you are using hyperbole, and it was like one kid joking about national rivalries with Matthews on twitter.

If people were legitimately berating him, then again, it's stupid and shouldn't be done. That said, every fanbase has stupid individuals that like to talk on twitter. Naming individual things that some individual Leaf fan has said and we've all acknowledged is stupid does not excuse a large portion of Islanders fans from the disgraceful, classless behaviour they have shown, continue to show, and continue to try to justify.
You guys f***ing ran Kessel out of town with stupid bullshit about hot dogs so spare me your yammering about "classless" Islanders fans. If you don't think he had contact with Toronto before he could officially do so you literally have no idea how the league works. EVERYBODY engages in tampering, this case was no different.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You guys ****ing ran Kessel out of town with stupid bull**** about hot dogs so spare me your yammering about "classless" Islanders fans.
Uh, no. One idiot in the media made stuff up about hotdogs to get anti-Leaf clicks, and Leaf fans everywhere said the guy was an idiot and we'd been saying he was an idiot for years. Non-Leaf fans agreed he was an idiot. And then all the non-Leaf fans started using it as a joke against Kessel, and calling him fat. Toronto fans spent years defending Kessel and shutting down stupid attacks, comments, and lies about his play and character.

Toronto fans also accepted when he left, even though we got less than we should have, and we had to retain. We accepted that it was necessary to move on and take the organization in a new direction that it sorely needed, just like Tavares going to UFA despite how much he loved the team and city was the kick in the pants the Islanders management needed to realize how much they had been failing, and do a 180.

Kessel has been welcomed and treated nicely whenever he returns, and we recognize and appreciate all he did for the team and city, and we cherish the memories, even if it led nowhere.

If you don't think he had contact with Toronto before he could officially do so you literally have no idea how the league works. EVERYBODY engages in tampering, this case was no different.
He didn't, and it doesn't even change anything if he did, but I'm glad that we've at least moved on to wild conspiracy theories about the league with nothing to support it, instead of just baseless ones about Tavares.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Uh, no. One idiot in the media made stuff up about hotdogs to get anti-Leaf clicks, and Leaf fans everywhere said the guy was an idiot and we'd been saying he was an idiot for years. Non-Leaf fans agreed he was an idiot. And then all the non-Leaf fans started using it as a joke against Kessel, and calling him fat. Toronto fans spent years defending Kessel and shutting down stupid attacks, comments, and lies about his play and character.

Toronto fans also accepted when he left, even though we got less than we should have, and we had to retain. We accepted that it was necessary to move on and take the organization in a new direction that it sorely needed, just like Tavares going to UFA despite how much he loved the team and city was the kick in the pants the Islanders management needed to realize how much they had been failing, and do a 180.

Kessel has been welcomed and treated nicely whenever he returns, and we recognize and appreciate all he did for the team and city, and we cherish the memories, even if it led nowhere.

He didn't, and it doesn't even change anything if he did, but I'm glad that we've at least moved on to wild conspiracy theories about the league with nothing to support it, instead of just baseless ones about Tavares.
Let's also remember that Kessel never really wanted to be traded when you looked at the teams on his approved trade list and when he won his 2 Cups with Pittsburgh, he had his day with the Stanley Cup in Toronto.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Your own players were so badly abused by your fans they literally refused to salute you to show their contempt. That is 100% fact. And I know if I loved a team and city I would absolutely turn down $15 million to leave them. And as for that last thing: I run in the "Hockey is the entire purpose of my life" crew in the NY Metro area. These are people who go to well over 100 pro games a year and have been for decades. They know everyone and everything that is going on in multiple organizations and it's all first hand. Example: years ago me and 2 friends went to Philly and my one friend said the other was good friends with Bernie Parent. I was thinking "yeah right". So we run into Bernie and his eyes light up like he's just met his long lost brother and he runs up to my friend almost in tears hugging him. My jaw bounced right off the floor.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I never thought Islanders fans would get so far gone that they'd claim Moulson of all people made Tavares what he was. That's pretty sad. :laugh:
You did not get to watch him fall on his butt all year either. I never said Moulson made him, just that he would have looked like a bust without him. Anyone familiar with the draft that year knows that his skating was a problem.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Just because you have a good record in back-to-backs with your unsustainable numbers, doesn't mean every team does.
So, we are going to crash hard now that we have passed game #86.
Unsustainable!
I know you wanted us to suck, but we finished with a better record than you, and dominated the series between the two teams.
Hoping to see you later in the playoffs, to boot.

Reactions: sabremike

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You did not get to watch him fall on his butt all year either. I never said Moulson made him, just that he would have looked like a bust without him. Anyone familiar with the draft that year knows that his skating was a problem.
If you look at how bad Moulson played after the Islanders traded him it's obvious that Tavares was the only reason for whatever success he had. So to now claim other wise is just sad.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
You guys ****ing ran Kessel out of town with stupid bull**** about hot dogs so spare me your yammering about "classless" Islanders fans. If you don't think he had contact with Toronto before he could officially do so you literally have no idea how the league works. EVERYBODY engages in tampering, this case was no different.

What a stupid and uninformed post. You're blaming Leaf fans for something Steve Simmons wrote for a sensationalistic news outfit like The Toronto Sun, aka TMZ North?...If Kessel felt in any way slighted by us, then why did he go out of his way to publicly thank the Leafs, Leaf fans and the city of Toronto after he was traded to Pittsburgh? Yeah, sounds like those Leaf fans really ran him out of town....durrrrrrr. I guess when your fanbase resorts to petty and classless shit such as burning Canadian flags in your shitty arena parking lot, you need to conjure up something in order make you look good by comparision.

Keep reaching.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What a stupid and uninformed post. You're blaming Leaf fans for something Steve Simmons wrote for a sensationalistic news outfit like The Toronto Sun, aka TMZ North?...If Kessel felt in any way slighted by us, then why did he go out of his way to publicly thank the Leafs, Leaf fans and the city of Toronto after he was traded to Pittsburgh? Yeah, sounds like those Leaf fans really ran him out of town....durrrrrrr. I guess when your fanbase resorts to petty and classless **** such as burning Canadian flags in your ****ty arena parking lot, you need to conjure up something in order make you look good by comparision.

Keep reaching.
That whole story by Simmons was so bad that Keith Olbermann named Simmons his worst person of the day when he had a show on ESPN.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, sounds like those Leaf fans really ran him out of town....durrrrrrr. I guess when your fanbase resorts to petty and classless **** such as burning Canadian flags in your ****ty arena parking lot, you need to conjure up something in order make you look good by comparision.
Don't forget they decided to boo O Canada during all 3 games played in Long Island during the Leafs and Islanders playoff series in 2002.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What a stupid and uninformed post. You're blaming Leaf fans for something Steve Simmons wrote for a sensationalistic news outfit like The Toronto Sun, aka TMZ North?...If Kessel felt in any way slighted by us, then why did he go out of his way to publicly thank the Leafs, Leaf fans and the city of Toronto after he was traded to Pittsburgh? Yeah, sounds like those Leaf fans really ran him out of town....durrrrrrr. I guess when your fanbase resorts to petty and classless **** such as burning Canadian flags in your ****ty arena parking lot, you need to conjure up something in order make you look good by comparision.

Keep reaching.
I see you conveniently ignored the post in the other thread about your fans wishing another 9/11 on New York. Or the actual death threats Tweeted directly to Reimer's wife. Hell the IslesWhiteYesUV Twitter account had a field day posting lunacy from your fans.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I remember this. Don't like Olbermann though as he's really no different than Simmons.
My thought on Olbermann can be summed up like this: he once called Peter Karmanos (the most vile and repulsive man to ever walk the face of the earth) a scum bag and I still think Keith is an idiot.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Keep reaching.
They were burning Canadian flags? That's crossing a line. Does America even consider Buffalo their own?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I see you conveniently ignored the post in the other thread about your fans wishing another 9/11 on New York. Or the actual death threats Tweeted directly to Reimer's wife. Hell the IslesWhiteYesUV Twitter account had a field day posting lunacy from your fans.

Was is in similar fashion to Isles fans wishing death towards Mrs. Tavares on July 1st? Or was in more in line with comparing JT to a child molester? (ask CodeE what that means because I sure as hell don't) If Freud were still alive, he would have a field day on the Isles board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad