Dreger: Tavares and Islanders discussing contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Wait a minute so a player who is becoming a free agent in a few weeks is discussing an extension with his current team and this is a surprise. Of course he will listen to their pitch and discuss an extension but I still believe hell get to the interview stage to listen to other offers

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
11th, 12th, 41st, 43 over all in this years draft to start with. Most cap space in the league to work with for seconds.

Signing Tavares at lets say 12 million per will evaporate a lot of that. Lee is also up for a new deal next summer.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Signing Tavares at lets say 12 million per will evaporate a lot of that. Lee is also up for a new deal next summer.

We don't know what Tavares signs for. Either Lee or Eberle or both are likely to be replaced internally by someone on an ELC next season. You can add one of those two as potential trade chips for a defenseman along with Brock Nelson and Josh Ho-Sang.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
As a Leafs fan, I am still angry we let Lou go.

If the difference between Tavares going back to the Island or going somewhere else is Lou 'magic', crap.
I didnt like when he spoke to Tavares while Lou worked for us. I saw it as a bad omen when Lou then signed with them. To me that was a big indicator that Tavares was staying in the Island OR Lou thought he could get a good return in trading Tavares rights so a team could go 8 instead of 7 years.

I hope if Tavares signs, the Islanders send us a nice 'Thank You' gift for helping them resign their Franchise player.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
I think he would be silly not to hear what his preferred teams of choice has to say before circling back to the NYI.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Hell go to the listening period, and I still think hes going to leave.

I havent been to keen on Dreger to begin with, nor do I think a leake like this is overly feasible with Lou at the helm.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wasn't it said if a Lou Lamoriello deal gets leaked out before it's official Lou doesn't go through with it? I'm honestly asking because I remember reading that in the past.

I don't know anything about that and I'm sure it's a case by case basis. However, as a guy who has only had the job a month I wouldn't freak out about that. He hasn't had time to execute the moles yet.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wait a minute so a player who is becoming a free agent in a few weeks is discussing an extension with his current team and this is a surprise. Of course he will listen to their pitch and discuss an extension but I still believe hell get to the interview stage to listen to other offers

It's news because it appears he wasn't even seriously listening weeks ago. No one will just come right out and say that though.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I hope if Tavares signs, the Islanders send us a nice 'Thank You' gift for helping them resign their Franchise player.
One of those edible arrangements fruit baskets?:popcorn:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

If the difference between Tavares going back to the Island or going somewhere else is Lou 'magic', crap.
I didnt like when he spoke to Tavares while Lou worked for us. I saw it as a bad omen when Lou then signed with them. To me that was a big indicator that Tavares was staying in the Island OR Lou thought he could get a good return in trading Tavares rights so a team could go 8 instead of 7 years.

Is this going to be new narrative?

It's slightly more creative than the last two Leafs-Tavares narratives (post-draft and post-ELC).

Reactions: PWJunior

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It's news because it appears he wasn't even seriously listening weeks ago. No one will just come right out and say that though.
I think any credibility Snow had was lost, when he gave a preseason interview,describing the 2017-2018 team as a serious SC contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad