Dreger: Tavares and Islanders discussing contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What a hot take from Dreger. Tavares could re-sign or he may explore free agency. More to come.
:laugh: I mean, it is kind of funny how a lot of these "reporters" report things in ways that they're essentially correct no matter what happens.

Dreger: "Tavares and Islanders are negotiating an extension ... but if they can't come to an agreement, he won't sign."

So he can chalk another one up to being an insider regardless of how this plays out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Won't be from a lack of trying, but wonder how Dregs knows. Not from Lou, he will have the cone of silence on. Probably JT's agents.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He had a deal all worked out to re-sign with the Islanders, but his agents leaked this story so Lou tore up the contract as punishment and won't sign him now.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Isles have very quickly become the #1 most intriguing team to follow from an analytical standpoint. High profile superstars, young studs, high draft picks and cap space, but also a lot of holes and needs that must be addressed soon. Also, the revamp of the front office is huge.

As for Tavares, I hope he stays. The last thing I want is for him to come to a Central team... or Toronto.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I didn’t think I would have to explain this but There is 0 percent chance he signs before the interviewing period.

Dreger is not reporting anything worthwhile here.

Wow Lou has been in contact daily with his franchise player who is about to test free agency?!? Shocking stuff
gheezus , lighten up man .

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I didn’t think I would have to explain this but There is 0 percent chance he signs before the interviewing period.

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. I came to HfBoards today not knowing if he was going to re-sign or test FA, and you've explained it all to me. Now I know.

Thanks again.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
We know one of the first things Lou will do is trade for a goaltender. So maybe Tavares realizes that the Islanders can be good with an established goaltender and a 1 - 2 center punch of him and Barzal. Still need a top pairing though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The vibe I am getting is JT will sign on The Island. Friedman was on the air this morning and he said he always thought JT's first choice to remain with NY. If both can come up with a fair deal. Then it sure sounds like it is going to happen.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The vibe I am getting is JT will sign on The Island. Friedman was on the air this morning and he said he always thought JT's first choice to remain with NY. If both can come up with a fair deal. Then it sure sounds like it is going to happen.

Only thing I don't get is why wait till the last minute? I have to believe he isn't going to get more now then he would a year ago so he is risking a full season of potentially hurting his value or him getting a career ending injury and giving up those 10s of millions of dollars

Reactions: SI90

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Only thing I don't get is why wait till the last minute? I have to believe he isn't going to get more now then he would a year ago so he is risking a full season of potentially hurting his value or him getting a career ending injury and giving up those 10s of millions of dollars

JT and NYI only started negotiating once Lou came on board. If Snow and Weight were still around, he would be gone. JT is obviously sold on Lou's plan.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hope he re-signs. Wouldnt be good for that franchise to see their number 1 pick leave as a UFA.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I am surmising everything may have changed when Lamoriello came aboard. We hear he is in constant contact with JT. Maybe after a new coach is announced? It would seem to be the prudent thing to do from JT's point of view before inking a contract. You want to know who the coach is. I think this is the reason Lamoriello is not wasting more time. A new coach will be announced next week or sooner. Then perhaps the JT signing?

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
We know one of the first things Lou will do is trade for a goaltender. So maybe Tavares realizes that the Islanders can be good with an established goaltender and a 1 - 2 center punch of him and Barzal. Still need a top pairing though.
Grubauer?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Definitely good for the Isles, can't let a top 5 center ever walk away. Those guys are like gold.

I've had the Sharks and Islanders as the main destinations for a while now, with outside shot at Vegas.

After these reports I'd say Isles are ahead of the Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad