Dreger: Tavares and Islanders discussing contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, same with Friedman. All signs are pointing to JT staying, The question is, how much of a home team discount is he willing to take to help the Isles win going fwd?

I don't think or expect him to take a hometown discount like he did last time. It should be in the appropriate range so whatever. Throw in a lifetime supply of Dippin' Dots and that's a major score. :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think or expect him to take a hometown discount like he did last time. It should be in the appropriate range so whatever. Throw in a lifetime supply of Dippin' Dots and that's a major score. :laugh:

If he gets an average cap hit of under 10M per, I would consider this a team friendly contract. I am sure he would have gotten more had he accepted offer sheets. Maybe Lou can also get a great #3C with the saved money. ;)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If he gets an average cap hit of under 10M per, I would consider this a team friendly contract. I am sure he would have gotten more had he accepted offer sheets. Maybe Lou can also get a great #3C with the saved money. ;)

I think the range we’re looking at is 10.5-11.5.

If He he goes to July first I could see him getting 12-13 AAV. That’s also over the course of 7 years where as the isles would be over the course of 8 years.

That extra year helps lower the AAV and cap hit

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This is Stamkos all over again. Big name superstar goes to free agency, looks like he may move, creates a buzz among the other NHL organizations, only to resign with his team. I knew he wasn't going anywhere, just as Stamkos wasn't going anywhere either.

Reactions: Critical

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He must love losing.

Some guys just don't care about winning.

What does this mean? The islanders having had much playoff success but they’ve made the playoffs despite being help back by a ball and chain in Garth Snow and horrible management.

The islanders haven’t been close to the leagues worst teams since Tavares was drafted.

Now let’s see what they can do with real ownership, management, and coaching.

The isles having a lot of pieces with some holes to plug but the building blocks are there.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Isles suck with or without Tavares. Even if they get out of their division which is highly unlikely they'll get dummied by the Atlantic.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is Stamkos all over again. Big name superstar goes to free agency, looks like he may move, creates a buzz among the other NHL organizations, only to resign with his team. I knew he wasn't going anywhere, just as Stamkos wasn't going anywhere either.

Not the same as Stamkos. Two major differences.

1) Taxes are much less in Florida vs NY

2) Lightning had a much better team for Stamkos to come back to.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I didn’t think I would have to explain this but There is 0 percent chance he signs before the interviewing period.

Dreger is not reporting anything worthwhile here.

Wow Lou has been in contact daily with his franchise player who is about to test free agency?!? Shocking stuff

No no not Dreger!

Seriously though of course he would be talking to the Isles before he ventures out on the interview circuit with whatever NHL teams have real interest and that JT has interest in.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
No no not Dreger!

Seriously though of course he would be talking to the Isles before he ventures out on the interview circuit with whatever NHL teams have real interest and that JT has interest in.

False. If he wanted to leave, he wouldn't be "focusing on negotiation with the Islanders" (as per Dregger). The money is all going to be the same.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Honestly, what is wrong with some of you.

JT has said all along he wants to stay. Literally, 1000X. He loves the franchise, the area and the new practice facility. He loves Nassau Coliseum. The Isles are getting a new arena in 3 years.

The only obstacle is that he wants to WIN and needed ownership to sell him that it is possible on LI. Ownership fires the worst GM/Coach combo in NHL history, brings in one of the greatest executives in NHL history who by Dreger and others indications, has been in constant contact with JT on his vision to improve the club.

So while you all just state your butthurt opinions because it's looking more and more he isn't going to the Tor/NYR/Montreal, I'll just keep posting the FACTS.

Reactions: SteveH124

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Dregs also said Babcock wasn't coming to Toronto so he basically guaranteed Tavares to TO, jokes on you.
no no I'm sure he said that "while it might be unlikely that Babcock ends up in Toronto because the Sabres have the inside track, stranger things have happened and he could land there"

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
This is one of those rorschach tests. But, basically, this is just confirmation of what most NYI fans have been saying. I think it's pretty obvious from the beginning that LL has a plan. It's also pretty obvious what that plan involves (new coaching staff, resigning JT, goaltender, other additions, changing the makeup of the organization, etc). This plan can only have a positive impact on negotiations with Tavares. Dreger's news confirms this. All those folks who thought the firing of Snow and Weight would rule Tavares resigning out should eat some crow, because that's clearly wrong.

But it's not a done deal by any means. It's interesting that those reading the tea leaves on here, assuming that JT is back with the Isles aren't NYI fans. We know how things can go from looking up to going straight to hell in 3 seconds.

Reactions: PWJunior

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

JT has said all along he wants to stay. Literally, 1000X. He loves the franchise, the area and the new practice facility. He loves Nassau Coliseum. The Isles are getting a new arena in 3 years.

The only obstacle is that he wants to WIN and needed ownership to sell him that it is possible on LI. Ownership fires the worst GM/Coach combo in NHL history, brings in one of the greatest executives in NHL history who by Dreger and others indications, has been in constant contact with JT on his vision to improve the club.

So while you all just state your ******** opinions because it's looking more and more he isn't going to the Tor/NYR/Montreal, I'll just keep posting the FACTS.

That all may be true, but it's also true that every franchise player raised in Ontario will inevitably sign with the Leafs. There are countless examples.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
My original prediction still will stand true if Tavares resigns with Isles. Some fans from a fanbase (not all of them) will talk about how much of an overpayment it is.

Seems like some people want to call him out on not being a winner as well. Well, I for one cannot wait to see how Lou Lamoriello can screw up Barzal and Tavares down the middle for the next 8 years. I mean like, the Islanders can get REALLY creative in screwing this one up.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
This is one of those rorschach tests. But, basically, this is just confirmation of what most NYI fans have been saying. I think it's pretty obvious from the beginning that LL has a plan. It's also pretty obvious what that plan involves (new coaching staff, resigning JT, goaltender, other additions, changing the makeup of the organization, etc). This plan can only have a positive impact on negotiations with Tavares. Dreger's news confirms this. All those folks who thought the firing of Snow and Weight would rule Tavares resigning out should eat some crow, because that's clearly wrong.

But it's not a done deal by any means. It's interesting that those reading the tea leaves on here, assuming that JT is back with the Isles aren't NYI fans. We know how things can go from looking up to going straight to hell in 3 seconds.

Great post.

And I agree. If Snow is still GM, JT is GONE.

Reactions: PWJunior and dano16

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

So while you all just state your ******** opinions because it's looking more and more he isn't going to the Tor/NYR/Montreal, I'll just keep posting the FACTS.

You're on a discussion board you know. People are allowed to comment even if you don't like it. If he doesn't sign with the Isles you will look like even more of an ass than you already do with that post.

Personally I hope he stays in New York and finishes his career with the same team, but I don't see any problem with people criticizing that or speculating he won't. It's hockey, man, not brain surgery. It's not that serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad