Rumor: Tarasenko

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Thank you doctor.

He has a point.

I don’t blame Army for this one bit but after this is all coming to light the fact is, Army needs to clean house. I don’t want any of our medical staff even looking at Colt at this point. They need to go.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He went public with the trade request the day the Cup was awarded. How many trades happen during the playoffs?

I thought the demand was made right after the playoffs ended, but wasn't made public immediately. I was thinking this last night, does anyone remember exactly when Tarasenko changes agents? I found an interview with Kevin Weekes addressing it on May 25th, so I'd guess shortly before that. The reason I'm asking is was it the new agent who made the trade demand or old one? We know the new agent is the one who took it public and put pressure on Armstrong, I'm just trying to figure out the timeline of events here.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Well if team isn't handling situation correctly it's only way to push things to make it happens. This is Tarasenko's career. 2 times failed surgery's unacceptable.

Have you really go deep in to Eichel case? Buffalo has done it even worse vs Blues.

I really recommend listen this, open up things.

Why Eichel Wants a Disc Replacement | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca
I very much enjoy 31 Thoughts and I loved that episode.

However, that podcast absolutely did not establish that Buffalo has "done it even worse" or establish that the doctor talking is correct. That was not a panel discussion or a debate of experts. That was a single doctor offering his opinion and it happens to be the doctor who has a vested interest in the artificial disk replacement surgery becoming the accepted standard of care within the medical community. That doctor was openly speaking as a representative of Eichel about a procedure that he has a financial incentive to back. There was no voice in that podcast offering a counter opinion and Friedman bent over backwards to make that clear. One point that brings me great pause is that Eichel's doctor says that he wouldn't recommend the procedure if Eichel played football because the hits there are more likely to compress the spine whereas in hockey they create a whiplash effect. That is true unless/until a guy has his head driven into the boards/glass or gets tagged with his head down. While those types of hits are less frequent than in football, they absolutely happen in hockey and they usually happen with more force behind them. A disc replacement being unsuitable for that type of hit absolutely creates justified pause in accepting that procedure as the preferred option. Neither of us know the full story behind this and it is 100% factual that a good portion of the medical community believes that a fusion is the preferred procedure. I lean toward Eichel's camp based on the info we have, but it is naive to believe that we have the full story based on what one side chooses to make public.

It is a similar situation with Tarasenko and the Blues (although with less medical clarity behind the claims). We have the player's camp releasing selective info about the player's perception of events and the team saying that a lot of the info put out is not factual. Unlike the Eichel situation, Tarasenko has not given his doctor permission to speak publicly about his medical info. In both situations, the team is legally not allowed to share any details about what their doctor's did or diagnosed. Again, it is incredibly naive to believe that the story we have heard is the full, honest truth. Tarasenko could publish all of his medical documentation tomorrow to prove how bad the team doctors f***ed him up. If he didn't want the records fully published, he could share them with JR and grant him permission to take them to an independent doctor who could make an on-the-record opinion about what happened over the last 3 years. That hasn't happened and I'd wager good money that it would have happened by now if there wasn't any gray area about what happened.

Finally, I find it bizarre that the narrative is suddenly that we have evidence that the 3rd surgery fully fixed Tarasenko. He's played 28 NHL games since surgery #3. He played 112 between surgery #1 and surgery #2. If the botched surgery #1 allowed him to play 112 NHL games before requiring another surgery, then him staying healthy for 28 games offers zero support for the notion that the surgery was successful. He also performed like his normal self after surgery #1 and failed to do so after surgery #3. There is a real chance that the different procedure he got done in Colorado successfully prevented future re-injury but at the expense of permanently reducing mobility/strength much more than the previous procedures would have. His shot looked noticeably worse in the 28 games we saw him last year. That might be the new normal of the 3rd surgery and if it is then it is pretty damn murky about whether it was successful. There is also a real chance that the 3rd surgery was as successful as the 1st and he gets injured over the next 84 games.

At the end of the day, everything we have heard about Tarasenko and Eichel is pure PR. Neither player has facilitated an honest and open presentation/discussion of the facts. I don't think we are owed that as fans, but when you are the party who makes things public then I take your claims with a gigantic grain of salt when you are only willing to discuss a portion of the facts and only on your terms.

Edit: As to the red text, I believe that he said that calculus of the decision would be different, not that he definitely wouldn't recommend it. That is definitely a significant difference, but my cause for pause is that my view of hockey's risks seems to be much different than his. If a hit to the top/crown of a helmet can make this type of procedure unsuitable, I think that is an extremely valid concern for an NHL player.

Last edited:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I thought the demand was made right after the playoffs ended, but wasn't made public immediately. I was thinking this last night, does anyone remember exactly when Tarasenko changes agents? I found an interview with Kevin Weekes addressing it on May 25th, so I'd guess shortly before that. The reason I'm asking is was it the new agent who made the trade demand or old one? We know the new agent is the one who took it public and put pressure on Armstrong, I'm just trying to figure out the timeline of events here.
I've seen a couple articles stating that the original trade request was at the end of the regular season. I don't see an issue in making the request, but deciding to go public with it before there was ever really a chance for him to be traded was entirely unnecessary. Rutherford posted his first tweet about the trade request before the last game of the finals was even over.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
From the Islanders board

Here’s my take on Tarasenko. St. Louis doesn’t want to retain. They want to shed as much salary as possible because they only have 1.5M left to sign Robert Thomas. They aren’t taking on net salary either in a deal. So I think the fair deal is they take Komarov and Hickey and in exchange for taking them we also give them Bellows and Colorado’s 2nd next year. They save 2M on the cap and get a pick and young player. We take on 2M on the cap but get a potential game breaking scorer and lose two guys who sorely need to go.

The other option is Bailey for Tarasenko. St. Louis saves 2.5M but the negative for us is that leaves Beau as the only asset left to trade for Leddy’s replacement as the options left on the UFA market suck. If Leo and Hickey go for Tank you still have Bailey left to use for a LD

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
From the Islanders board

Here’s my take on Tarasenko. St. Louis doesn’t want to retain. They want to shed as much salary as possible because they only have 1.5M left to sign Robert Thomas. They aren’t taking on net salary either in a deal. So I think the fair deal is they take Komarov and Hickey and in exchange for taking them we also give them Bellows and Colorado’s 2nd next year. They save 2M on the cap and get a pick and young player. We take on 2M on the cap but get a potential game breaking scorer and lose two guys who sorely need to go.

The other option is Bailey for Tarasenko. St. Louis saves 2.5M but the negative for us is that leaves Beau as the only asset left to trade for Leddy’s replacement as the options left on the UFA market suck. If Leo and Hickey go for Tank you still have Bailey left to use for a LD

I don't mind taking on Komarov, Hickey or a guy like Clutterbuck if that will improve Tank's return and we have enough to sign Thomas. Komarov, Hickey and Clutterbuck all have just one year left on their contracts and will be gone next year so there is enough room to sign Parayko to a better deal. However, if we're taking on 1 or 2 of those contracts the return should be a lot better then Bellows (who hasn't convinced me yet he's actually an NHL-er and had a substance problem) and a very late 2nd round pick on 2022.

I would be on board for:
Tarasenko for Komarov and Clutterbuck/Hickey, Islanders 2022 1st, the rights to Tristan Lennox, the rights to Samuel Bolduc

In this example we take on 2 'bad contracts' and in return we get a futures package: a late 1st round pick in a good draft year and two good promising prospects to stock our cupboard.

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Would anyone be willing to trade Tank for Kessel? We save close to 700K. But more importantly, he is a UFA next summer.

Looking at long term cap savings when we need to resign CP.

I would also do the above deal too. I just don't think NYI would.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Would anyone be willing to trade Tank for Kessel? We save close to 700K. But more importantly, he is a UFA next summer.

Looking at long term cap savings when we need to resign CP.

I would also do the above deal too. I just don't think NYI would.
No Kessel for me. I might be biased against him, as I was against even drafting him when he first came in. I dislike one-dimensional players, and Kessel is the epitome of that. If people didn't like Hoffman for that reason, wait until you see Kessel. The Islander deal isn't too bad.

Reactions: Blues Knight

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
From the Islanders board

As a counterproposal, I would offer Tarasenko and Jake Walman for Komarov, Hickey, Bellows, Bode Wilde, and a player to be named later (1st if Tank puts up more than 20 goals a 2nd if he doesn't)
They need an NHL ready lefthanded defenseman with some offensive upside with Leddy gone.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
I guess my itchy, burning question is?

How the hell can a player demand a trade and then have the kahuna’s to limit where you can trade him?

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Put your big boy pants on and hold Tank till the TDL. Kessel could be had for a 2nd rounder and 1 Million bucks. 20 goals for a million bucks - Order Please!

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Assuming Tank shoulder had the Magnuson-Stack procedure his shoulder will not separate any more. His external rotation may be limited. He can relearn his shot and still be a leading goal scorer.

Last edited:

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
No Kessel for me. I might be biased against him, as I was against even drafting him when he first came in. I dislike one-dimensional players, and Kessel is the epitome of that. If people didn't like Hoffman for that reason, wait until you see Kessel. The Islander deal isn't too bad.
I could possibly see Kessel. think only 1 yr left and his actual money is less than his cap iirc but I cant recall what his cap # actually is

can def still wing the puck for sure

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Put your big boy pants on and hold Tank till the TDL. Kessel could be had for a 2nd rounder and 1 Million bucks. 20 goals for a million bucks - Order Please!
Can't do it as long as Tank is here. No cap space to fit him in (his cap hit is much higher than remaining cash).

Reactions: STL BLUES

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad