Rumor: Tarasenko

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Pre-expansion draft the offers will probably be a 2nd + an older tweener prospect with the pick being upgraded to a 1st if certain conditional milestones are met. I still think the best option is try and swing a deal with Seattle to get a pick and a player if Seattle can flip him to another team with retention. That makes our protected list inconsequential.

nick-noah-8208-geier.gif

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Is he leaving?

If so, where do you think?

...and for what?
Armstrong will try his best to make a deal. There are a few different windows here. Before the expansion draft, before/at rookie draft, before/during free agency. I think he will be dealt in the offseason or selected by the Kraken in the expansion draft. As to where he could be traded?
Kings, Rangers, Islanders, Canucks, Penguins, Canadiens, Hurricanes, Bruins, Panthers, Capitals, Flyers, Flames

The return? Depends on if Blues take back a contract, retain salary, or add additional pieces. I expect Armstrong will be looking for a return that includes a current NHL players plus futures.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
The protected list will tell the story I think. If he’s protected I think that means there is a market. If he’s left unprotected then he’s gonna need to show up and raise his value unless Seattle drafts him.

Armstrong protected Reaves over Perron then made a great trade last time.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I have never questioned 91's heart.

He is a world class sniper I want on my team...

Was. To be honest as much as I loved Tarasenko, he never struck me as a ‘world class sniper’ imo that others seem to idolize him as. When I think ‘world class sniper’ my bar is Chopper.

I’m sure that’s because of how much the surgeries impacted him and how much time he was off the ice because of them. Had he been healthy all this time… jeez.

But his name is on the Cup contributing heavily with the FIRST Blues team to win it all. No matter what happens from here, 91 is legendary.

Just sad it has to end like this…

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think he ends up with us next season unless Seattle picks him.

Either way, unless I'm getting over compensated for him, I don't trade him. Could care less if he wants out, he's under contract and his value is low right now.

Agreed. I would move him at the deadline

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Can he bolt to the KHL with the Blues suspending him without pay if he has a hissy fit? I realize that absolutely ruins his value in the NHL, but I don't know how upset he is at this point. This could be Sobotka 2.0 if that was the case.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think he ends up with us next season unless Seattle picks him.

Either way, unless I'm getting over compensated for him, I don't trade him. Could care less if he wants out, he's under contract and his value is low right now.

Definitely get what you are saying, but on the other hand I'm not sure it's good for the team to have a disgruntled star moping around. I noticed a few times last season that Tarasenko didn't seem to be enjoying himself and something just seemed off. It could have been assumed it was the injuries, struggling to produce, etc. but it's not fun for anyone to be in a workplace where they are miserable. And if the rumors are true about there being division in the locker room (and I don't think Strick would just throw that out there without being pretty damn sure), it might be best for all parties to just move on.

I say this as a huge Tarasenko fan and it would totally suck to have to sell low on him, but there is also the chance that he has a slow start next year and his value goes even lower. Working out a deal with Tarasenko to Seattle might be a good option however, as being able to keep Dunn + possibly getting another asset might make the sting of losing Vladi just a bit less.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Definitely get what you are saying, but on the other hand I'm not sure it's good for the team to have a disgruntled star moping around. I noticed a few times last season that Tarasenko didn't seem to be enjoying himself and something just seemed off. It could have been assumed it was the injuries, struggling to produce, etc. but it's not fun for anyone to be in a workplace where they are miserable. And if the rumors are true about there being division in the locker room (and I don't think Strick would just throw that out there without being pretty damn sure), it might be best for all parties to just move on.

I say this as a huge Tarasenko fan and it would totally suck to have to sell low on him, but there is also the chance that he has a slow start next year and his value goes even lower. Working out a deal with Tarasenko to Seattle might be a good option however, as being able to keep Dunn + possibly getting another asset might make the sting of losing Vladi just a bit less.
the blues winning will change his attitude imo. this team has been in free fall since the bubble and combined with his injuries hes really feeling pissed off. i dont blame him tbh but crying for a trade because hes upset about being hurt and not getting the captaincy is pretty childish imo. makes me respect people like Steen even more, wish tarasenko would take the same approach.

i think trading him right now would be a mistake as I think he can still produce at a decent rate. There is no way any team will offer fair value for him right now, so best to atleast wait. His value is unlikely to tank further unless he gets hurt and retires from it.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How is Tarasankos 200ft game?

Has he had diva moments or is he a hard core old school player?

We have the assets for a trade but there is also a hard core mentality on the club.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
How is Tarasankos 200ft game?

Has he had diva moments or is he a hard core old school player?

We have the assets for a trade but there is also a hard core mentality on the club.
Tarasenko is no diva. He is the guy who will rise to the occasion at the last moment.

His 200’ game is not good. But, when he dials it up, he puts forth a backcheck and at times it can come up huge in key moments of games. The rest of the time he leaves a lot to be desired in the back end.

He is not the type of player to lead you to victories throughout the series, but if you are facing an elimination game or a game seven, he is a guy you want. He can decide he wants to score in a game and it’s hard to stop him from doing that. All it takes is one play.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Tarasenko is no diva. He is the guy who will rise to the occasion at the last moment.

His 200’ game is not good. But, when he dials it up, he puts forth a backcheck and at times it can come up huge in key moments of games. The rest of the time he leaves a lot to be desired in the back end.

He is not the type of player to lead you to victories throughout the series, but if you are facing an elimination game or a game seven, he is a guy you want. He can decide he wants to score in a game and it’s hard to stop him from doing that. All it takes is one play.

The problem is that the two guys with great vision to set him up are Suzuki and Caufield. Suzuki is a great 200 ft player and CC tries...all 165 pounds of him.

Habs system is hard defense and quick breakout. It wont help if Tarasenko expects everyone else to do the heavy lifting. The upside of course is if he wants to buy into our system, he gets two linemates who see the game on a different level. Richard trophy would be real for him....

Or he gets the Tatar treatment where he sits when the game is close.

This trade has a bit of question mark....

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The problem is that the two guys with great vision to set him up are Suzuki and Caufield. Suzuki is a great 200 ft player and CC tries...all 165 pounds of him.

Habs system is hard defense and quick breakout. It wont help if Tarasenko expects everyone else to do the heavy lifting. The upside of course is if he wants to buy into our system, he gets two linemates who see the game on a different level. Richard trophy would be real for him....

Or he gets the Tatar treatment where he sits when the game is close.

This trade has a bit of question mark....

The Blues have been a defensive minded team Tarasenko's entire tenure. While there have been times where there has been fritction between him and the defensive-minded coaches, he never wore out his his welcome. I don't know why he isn't better defensively. He has shown the ability to be decent defensively. He is not a lazy player in general. But sometimes he just doesn't really show much effort on defense. Its almost like he values his offense more and is reserving energy for that. When he is scoring 40 goals, you can forgive that. When his offense is struggling though, it is frustrating. I don't think going to a defensive minded Habs will change that, as defensive minded Blues coaches didn't.

The big misconception with Tarasenko is that he is a sniper that needs a playmaker. This has never really panned out. Tarasenko rarely gets rid of the puck quickly. On plays he should one-time, he will dust off the puck. He can still score at times there, but it is because his shot is so accurate when he's on, not because the pass gave him the opening. When he is ON, he is creating for himself. He'll be skating the puck along the boards across the blue line on a nothing play, when suddenly he makes a super strong power move to the inside, gets a half step of space and rifles a nasty wrister into a 3 inch opening at 90 mph.

I think he is better paired with a scorer. He is a vastly underrated playmaker. Having someone else who can capitalize if he draws attention, or to keep the D honest is more important than someone who can put the puck on his tape for a quick release. That is why he has often excelled with Schwartz, a jack of all trades type of player without an ego that demands he is the #1 option. Of course, I'm talking about prime Tarasenko though. Who knows how his game will adapt as he ages and if his shoulder never fully heals.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think he is better paired with a scorer. He is a vastly underrated playmaker. Having someone else who can capitalize if he draws attention, or to keep the D honest is more important than someone who can put the puck on his tape for a quick release. That is why he has often excelled with Schwartz, a jack of all trades type of player without an ego that demands he is the #1 option. Of course, I'm talking about prime Tarasenko though. Who knows how his game will adapt as he ages and if his shoulder never fully heals.

He can be paired with two guys that can score or pass and they see the ice on a different level. CC is a scoring machine with a lightning release but he will pass if there is a better option, Suzuki will pass first but he wont hesitate to shoot. He's going to find the puck on his stick...but it's not going to go down well if he's got tunnel vision. Plus he and they are going to get a lot of attention once they start to dominate. The other issue is that line has no greasers (unless I'm wrong about Tarasenko). They have to do it on pure talent and defenseman losing their minds and their shorts trying to defend against them.

Hmmm......7.5 million, plus injury question plus assets...or sign Hall for that kind of money.....

Thanks for the input.....

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
The Blues have been a defensive minded team Tarasenko's entire tenure. While there have been times where there has been fritction between him and the defensive-minded coaches, he never wore out his his welcome. I don't know why he isn't better defensively. He has shown the ability to be decent defensively. He is not a lazy player in general. But sometimes he just doesn't really show much effort on defense. Its almost like he values his offense more and is reserving energy for that. When he is scoring 40 goals, you can forgive that. When his offense is struggling though, it is frustrating. I don't think going to a defensive minded Habs will change that, as defensive minded Blues coaches didn't.

The big misconception with Tarasenko is that he is a sniper that needs a playmaker. This has never really panned out. Tarasenko rarely gets rid of the puck quickly. On plays he should one-time, he will dust off the puck. He can still score at times there, but it is because his shot is so accurate when he's on, not because the pass gave him the opening. When he is ON, he is creating for himself. He'll be skating the puck along the boards across the blue line on a nothing play, when suddenly he makes a super strong power move to the inside, gets a half step of space and rifles a nasty wrister into a 3 inch opening at 90 mph.

This is as dead on accurate of a Tarasenko scouting report as I’ve ever seen. Hit the nail on the coffin right here.

Also, now I’m bummed because I’ve always thought to myself that if Vladi had a legit one-timer, how much better of a PP guy and versatile scorer he’d be. Probably could’ve hit 50 in his true prime if he had one.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He can be paired with two guys that can score or pass and they see the ice on a different level. CC is a scoring machine with a lightning release but he will pass if there is a better option, Suzuki will pass first but he wont hesitate to shoot. He's going to find the puck on his stick...but it's not going to go down well if he's got tunnel vision. Plus he and they are going to get a lot of attention once they start to dominate. The other issue is that line has no greasers (unless I'm wrong about Tarasenko). They have to do it on pure talent and defenseman losing their minds and their shorts trying to defend against them.

Hmmm......7.5 million, plus injury question plus assets...or sign Hall for that kind of money.....

Thanks for the input.....
Problem with Hall- other than him not having Tarasenko shot- is that he isn’t likely to sign short contract again. Thank you are on hook for 2 years, Hall could be 5 or more.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Problem with Hall- other than him not having Tarasenko shot- is that he isn’t likely to sign short contract again. Thank you are on hook for 2 years, Hall could be 5 or more.

Yeah...and that's a problem. He didn't do much on the Sabres although played better with the Bruins. He's decent defensively but not always consistent.

We don't have anyone else in the prospect system that has high offense and we do need a game breaker badly. We're going to lose Tatar and Drouin, which may not be a big deal right now, but that's 35-40 goals gone. Ideally we need that magic player that can score and play a 200ft game. Not easy to find......and appears that Tarasenko is not either.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can't open a thread because i've been a bad boy.....unless you guys want to open one.

Can you guys give us the low down on Dunn. I've seen him a few games and my only knock is that he's working with an Atari processor too many times. I also noticed that he plays wiith a burr in his butt.

What's your take and is there any hope he takes the next step with another team? We need a puck moving LHD and his name pops up...but more about potential, including top 2 then immediate help. That "potential" runway is running out....

So...opinions?

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Dunn is fast, has a good shot and can even fight.

That said, you can have him...

Not going to put up top 4 defenseman points and have the defensive prowess to keep other top lines at bay IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad