Rumor: Tarasenko

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You wont get anything in return. I'd rather retain 2.5M and take Hickey for 1 year, than retain a higher percentage for 2 years on Tarasenko.
That's fine. We aren't going to get prospects like Dobson, regardless of how much we retain.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I only listed about 5 or 6 other ones that would be of interest.
I guess, but all varying levels of value. We can get Bellows for no retention because he sucks. The idea that retaining cap will turn a bad package into a good one just isn't a thing IMO. You might get something slightly better, but it won't be significant.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I think, unless Army gets blown away by a non-retention offer, he will see how Tarasenko's attitude and performance is during camp. Then at least he will have something to base his valuation/decision from. Right now, the agent seems to be driving the narrative and teams are basing his value on unknowns and risk.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I think, unless Army gets blown away by a non-retention offer, he will see how Tarasenko's attitude and performance is during camp. Then at least he will have something to base his valuation/decision from. Right now, the agent seems to be driving the narrative and teams are basing his value on unknowns and risk.
I think for a trade to happen now, DA would have to retain at a higher percentage than after the start of the season.

The better Tarasenko performs, the lower the percentage retained.

If he has a blazing start and a trade is still primary, then we may not need to retain at all.

There’s a ton of nuance when it comes to retaining and cap constraints and the interplay of the pieces in the deal. etc etc

Last edited:
Reactions: MissouriMook

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It is in both the Blues and Tarasenko's best interest that he comes to camp and performs to his best level as soon as possible to boost his value and trade prospects. Anything short of that would put him in a mini-Lucic cap dump territory.

Reactions: Mike Liut

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I think for a trade to happen now, DA would have to retain at a higher percentage than after the start of the season.

The better Tarasenko performs, the lower the percentage retained.

If he has a blazing start and a trade is still primary, then we may not need to retain at all.

There’s a ton of nuance when it comes to retaining and cap constraints and the interplay of the pieces in the deal. etc etc
Most teams don't carry 7.5M cap space into the regular season. I don't think there will be a window to trade him once to season starts until the deadline, when teams can get creative with how cap space can accumulate during the season.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Most teams don't carry 7.5M cap space into the regular season. I don't think there will be a window to trade him once to season starts until the deadline, when teams can get creative with how cap space can accumulate during the season.
Which is why salary (a roster player) would have to come back at that point.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I really cant see the Isles dealing Beauvillier unless he is seeking a contract that he Isles aren't comfortable with. His qualifying offer should be a hair over 2.1M. He has arbitration rights. If it gets that far, who knows what an arbiter would decide. Somewhere in the 4M range perhaps.

Isles have been so close to the Cup Finals the last two years. I would be wanting to add pieces to my NHL roster, not swapping them around. Getting Anders Lee back next year will be a huge boost. Putting all that together, maybe the Blues retain 2.5M and take back some combination of Komarov, Hickey or Panik. In return, Isles send futures to the Blues. Sorokin, Wahlstrom and Dobson are closest to NHL ready. Kiefer Bellows, Samuel Bolduc and Bode Wilde would probably be in the next grouping with 2021 selection Aatu Raty on their heels.

I'd prefer a hockey trade for Tarasenko but I'm not sure one exists. Throw some conditional picks in the trade and add 1 or 2 prospects, retain some salary and take back a contract and call it a day.

Tarasenko (2.5M retained)

to Islanders for:
LD Thomas Hickey (1 year at 2.5M)
*2022 Conditional 2nd Round Pick
1 of Kiefer Bellows or Aatu Raty
1 of Dobson, Wilde or Bolduc

2022 Conditional 2nd Round Pick becomes a first rounder if Tarasenko scores 20 goals or the Islanders make the cup finals.

Wouldnt be too thrilled with the retention and the cap hit. Would much rather take back Komarov + Hickey as opposed to the retention. It’s an extra 500k but only for this season. It also fills a roster slot and probably gets Clifford out of the lineup. A 4th line of Barby - Sunny - Komarov would probably be hell to play against.

If there’s no addition of one or two of the prospects mentioned I see no reason not to wait until next season though if we’d be eating that much cap.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
JR responded to a complaint I made in the comment section of his last piece where he put a projected line-up without Tarasenko, nor with any return for trading him. And without Kostin. I give him credit for engaging with the fans and readers, but his own question to me of "What am I supposed to do" answers itself. Don't make a line-up projection without Tarasenko if you can't account for the return.

I hope that he really does have some inside track on the negotiations, but I strongly doubt it. I think the most likely course now is that Vlad has to report to camp. But JR seems to be deliberately blind to that possibility, even though it reflects Armstrong's most recent public statements on the matter. For the team's sake, I'd like to move Tarasenko before camp even if the return isn't as great as you'd hope. I'd love to get a young player who is RFA status and still with a ceiling.

I just don't understand the reporting being SO deferential to Tarasenko's camp. It doesn't even make sense as a cowardly move to secure sources, unless I suppose JR has completely given up on Armstrong's front office as a source.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
At this point we should hold Tarasenko until the start of the season unless someone blows us away (MT, Bellevuie (sp) from NYI, etc) with an offer.

Sure sounds like Army is adamant about not giving him away. He wants value for him

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I've got a sneaking suspicion that Winnipeg may be interested. Wonder if they'd trade us Lucius & a 2nd next year for 2 years of Tarasenko, $2M retained.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've got a sneaking suspicion that Winnipeg may be interested. Wonder if they'd trade us Lucius & a 2nd next year for 2 years of Tarasenko, $2M retained.
I so can’t see that happening. Jets not dealing their recent 1st. Army would rather not deal him in division. And Tank likely wouldn’t want to go to Winnipeg.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
JR responded to a complaint I made in the comment section of his last piece where he put a projected line-up without Tarasenko, nor with any return for trading him. And without Kostin. I give him credit for engaging with the fans and readers, but his own question to me of "What am I supposed to do" answers itself. Don't make a line-up projection without Tarasenko if you can't account for the return.

I hope that he really does have some inside track on the negotiations, but I strongly doubt it. I think the most likely course now is that Vlad has to report to camp. But JR seems to be deliberately blind to that possibility, even though it reflects Armstrong's most recent public statements on the matter. For the team's sake, I'd like to move Tarasenko before camp even if the return isn't as great as you'd hope. I'd love to get a young player who is RFA status and still with a ceiling.

I just don't understand the reporting being SO deferential to Tarasenko's camp. It doesn't even make sense as a cowardly move to secure sources, unless I suppose JR has completely given up on Armstrong's front office as a source.

I mean how hard is it to do that?

All of us could make a reasonable guess on what the return will be. Also lot depends on other pieces involved in the trade.

You could assume Islanders want Nelson or Bailey involved in it.

Blues would want Beauvillier.

The Blues line should be reasonable to do it. This is their job.

JR writing has gone to the dump lately.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I so can’t see that happening. Jets not dealing their recent 1st. Army would rather not deal him in division. And Tank likely wouldn’t want to go to Winnipeg.

Depends on how badly Tarasenko wants out. LeBrun thinks the Jets are looking for another top-9 forward. Lucious may be a stretch, but Winnipeg is in win-now mode and may not be willing to wait 2-3 years on a '21 draftee to contribute. Plus, Winnipeg doesn't really have extra defense to deal, and Perfetti is off the table. I don't think Army particularly cares about dealing him in the division, if that's where the best return is coming from...he did trade Stastny there. (though that's the only Central team with whom he's recently traded).

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Depends on how badly Tarasenko wants out. LeBrun thinks the Jets are looking for another top-9 forward. Lucious may be a stretch, but Winnipeg is in win-now mode and may not be willing to wait 2-3 years on a '21 draftee to contribute. Plus, Winnipeg doesn't really have extra defense to deal, and Perfetti is off the table. I don't think Army particularly cares about dealing him in the division, if that's where the best return is coming from...he did trade Stastny there. (though that's the only Central team with whom he's recently traded).
Stats was dealt there as a rental. Tarasenko is different. I can’t see it.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
What about an incentive laden trade? Blues get a 2nd rd pick. If Tarasenko scores 30+ it turns into a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad