TSN: Tampa bay has Contacted Vancouver about Tanev

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What are you boasting about? Us giving the rangers a first round pick just means they are breeding a nhl roster player for us later.
Where in there did I boast at all?

You said to the other person you'd rather choke than not make it. Imo, if you're not going to win either way, it'd be better to get a better pick, especially if you already have a lot of guys with playoff experience like TB and a run isn't necessarily going to help season your core. Obviously, you don't get to choose, but if we're ranking outcomes and neither ends with winning, I'd think it'd be better to get a good pick.

Probably not a good time to start picking fights after TB spent a bunch to sleepwalk through elimination yet again.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Question 1. We have young Dmen like Juolevi Stecher Hutton that will likely make the team. Even a guy like Derrick Poliout could learn a ton from Tanev. High possibility of Dobson Hughes Bouhard as well after the draft. Not sure they make the team but its a possibility.

Question 2. If he gets hurt again this year then his value will stay the same as he has a percieved low value at the momment which is why Tampa wants him for Koekkek/Dochin plus pick. Im sure at the very least Van will get at the TDL on his final year of a great contract. Also if tbays final cost is Koekkek/Dochin plus picks then there would be 20 teams lining up who cam beat that offer.

At that point thE Canucks propbably offer Tanev a short term contract extension.

Hutton is not a Green guy. Stretcher is what a couple years younger than Tanev? Juolevi is the only one who has a chance. And the odds of any defenseman drafted by the canucks this year playing on the main roster is slim to none.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Where in there did I boast at all?

You said to the other person you'd rather choke than not make it. Imo, if you're not going to win either way, it'd be better to get a better pick, especially if you already have a lot of guys with playoff experience like TB and a run isn't necessarily going to help season your core. Obviously, you don't get to choose, but if we're ranking outcomes and neither ends with winning, I'd think it'd be better to get a good pick.

Probably not a good time to start picking fights after TB spent a bunch to sleepwalk through elimination yet again.

All I'm saying is the Rangers are basically a farm team for the Lightning now.

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
Hutton is not a Green guy. Stretcher is what a couple years younger than Tanev? Juolevi is the only one who has a chance. And the odds of any defenseman drafted by the canucks this year playing on the main roster is slim to none.
How do you figure any dman the Nucks draft won’t be on the team this upcoming season,

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Hutton has one more year to figure things out - he might get traded, but Green was just interviewed and said he was excited on what Hutton can do this off season to improve.

Stecher is just beginning to round out his game.

We likely will draft a defender in this coming draft.

Then we have some long-shot dmen that are still young like Brassard, Chatfield, Sautner, etc.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I see a few people saying Tanev is going to mentor the young kids coming into Vancouver. My question is, which d prospects do fans think will make the team? Another hypothetical for Vancouver fans is, by keeping Tanev for another year waiting for the right deal. Do you risk him getting hurt again this season which vindicates all the other people saying he is injury prone and risk lowering his value? Do you risk him getting hurt in his final year of the contract near the deadline which would plummet his value even more? The only two points of actual data we have is that Tanev is an elite 2D defenseman when he's playing and that he is a lock for being hurt for 10-15 games a year.

Holding on too long is basically the Erhoff and Hamhuis situation all over again.
First off Tanev is 28 not 32 and he is absolutely in his prime.

While his injuries are extremely frustrating and concerning for potential suitors he has shown time and time again that after a few games he can bounce back to form quite quickly.

On a personal level i would prefer we actually keep him and let him have a year where he shows what he can really be start to finish if possible. I mean at some point he has to have some luck in the health department no?

Olli Juolevi is the player everyone is hoping he can pair with and help build confidenece rather than the rest of our mistake making group

Obviously im a Canuck fan and would have seemingly have a bias to said player but i can say without bias that Chris Tanev is an impact player. His ability to neutralize top players and then in an ancanny split second put a pass on the tape to a teammate in a suitable position is unlike almost any player i have seen. He is a passive offensive player but he makes smart economical passes when in the offensive zone.

So there should be no incentive to move this player wo is happy in Van and under an excellent contract for at least another year unless a team is willing to pony up what a player of his ilk is worth (Hamonic 1st 2 2nds value)

I understand the concerns and if i was a TB fan i would not offer a big fish like Foote given what you already have and from our perspective i dont know why our management would want to turn our defense into a complete tire fire unless it meant the return was something to turn our paltry defensive group around.

Just my 2C

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I see a few people saying Tanev is going to mentor the young kids coming into Vancouver. My question is, which d prospects do fans think will make the team? Another hypothetical for Vancouver fans is, by keeping Tanev for another year waiting for the right deal. Do you risk him getting hurt again this season which vindicates all the other people saying he is injury prone and risk lowering his value? Do you risk him getting hurt in his final year of the contract near the deadline which would plummet his value even more? The only two points of actual data we have is that Tanev is an elite 2D defenseman when he's playing and that he is a lock for being hurt for 10-15 games a year.

Holding on too long is basically the Erhoff and Hamhuis situation all over again.

If the alternative is to trade Tanev for things that don’t help us then why would we strengthen another team will hurting our own? We have no need for Johnson...

Canucks are weak on D so Tanev does help us, Juolevi should be in the NHL next year so having Tanev mentor and shelter him is an asset to us. We also have Demko coming up and having Tanev around to help him out on the ice is another asset to keeping him. Canucks are in no position to hand Tanev over if the return doesn’t help us with rebuilding.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Even if the value is fair, Canucks have no need for Johnson. Perhaps a 3-team trade would work here, with Johnson going to a team that could use a top-6 center right now (MTL, ANA, STL?)

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
First off Tanev is 28 not 32 and he is absolutely in his prime.

While his injuries are extremely frustrating and concerning for potential suitors he has shown time and time again that after a few games he can bounce back to form quite quickly.

On a personal level i would prefer we actually keep him and let him have a year where he shows what he can really be start to finish if possible. I mean at some point he has to have some luck in the health department no?

Olli Juolevi is the player everyone is hoping he can pair with and help build confidenece rather than the rest of our mistake making group

Obviously im a Canuck fan and would have seemingly have a bias to said player but i can say without bias that Chris Tanev is an impact player. His ability to neutralize top players and then in an ancanny split second put a pass on the tape to a teammate in a suitable position is unlike almost any player i have seen. He is a passive offensive player but he makes smart economical passes when in the offensive zone.

So there should be no incentive to move this player wo is happy in Van and under an excellent contract for at least another year unless a team is willing to pony up what a player of his ilk is worth (Hamonic 1st 2 2nds value)

I understand the concerns and if i was a TB fan i would not offer a big fish like Foote given what you already have and from our perspective i dont know why our management would want to turn our defense into a complete tire fire unless it meant the return was something to turn our paltry defensive group around.

Just my 2C

Hey, I am one of the few lightning fans that like Tanev. He's been my favourite Canuck for years. I watch him all the time, me living in Vancouver, my whole life. I've been a Lightning fan since 98, but because of my family watch Canucks games, regularly, I know very well what he is capable of when he is on the ice. I value that. But its like I am beating a dead horse here, the fact that we can't even say he'll be healthy for a season because it would be a lie is a problem. The guy whether he is made of glass, unlucky, or plays dangerously, matters not. Just like Canuck fans say he is an elite 2D (Which I agree), the fact which is his complete counter argument is "he maybe elite, but he won't be elite on the ice because he is injured" hurts his value tremendously. You're basically trying to sell a Mercedes with dents, an engine that needs repair, a new transmission. Is it a Mercedes? Yes, a nice one. Does it require work? Yes because you treated in poorly and its banged up. Does that mean you can ask full price? Nope.

I said in previous threads that Vancouver and Tampa are not good trading partners. Because to us Foote offers something major. Cost control for years and possibly a future pairing partner for Sergachev. Tanev helps us now, but we Yzerman doesn't gut the future for the present. While he traded the firsts for McDonagh, and Howden and Hajek, both were expendable because of players like Cernak, Masin, and Cirelli. The firsts suck, but we are typically terrible in the first round aside from Vasy. If the ask is Foote and a first, or like someone who was completely out to lunch asking for Sergachev or Point (Rangers fans tried this), then hold on to Tanev and don't trade anything for him.

Tanev helps but doesn't push us over the top. And from the sounds of it, Tanev won't bring in want Vancouver wants and are happy to keep him.

Side Note, I don't think Juolevi makes the team right out of camp this year. Maybe later in the year, but not out of the gates.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All I'm saying is the Rangers are basically a farm team for the Lightning now.

Yes, thanks to us you got to pay Callahan a million dollars a goal in his twilight years, got to spend a bundle of assets for McD who didn't help you get any further than you've already been, and got JT Miller to put the puck in your own net trying to play Gretzky.

TB hasn't accomplished a single thing NYR hasn't since their cup win with a completely different lineup over 10 years ago. I don't know where the hubris comes from - you have a lineup that should have won multiple times and instead your best players sleepwalk through elimination over and over while some fans talk like you've built a dynasty.

There are pretty good odds this iteration of TB ends up exactly where the Rangers are, a good lineup that couldn't get it done when it mattered despite bringing in a few waves of reinforcements in to help the cause.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
How do you figure any dman the Nucks draft won’t be on the team this upcoming season,

Lets say Vancouver doesn't trade Tanev.

Tanev
Edler
Hutton
Stetcher
Gudbranson
Del Zotto
Biega
Pouliot

Stetcher will get extended. Most likely Pouliot. Where do they fit if you keep Tanev? You are already at 8 Defenseman, 6 of which are on 1 way contracts. with a high chance Stetcher's new deal will be 1 way. Maybe Pouliot will get 2 way. The point here is A) there is no space if the roster stays. B) Even with the inevitable Tanev injury, they are already carrying max defenders.

So barring trading Tanev, there is no spot for Juolevi or whomever they pick right now. Unless they decide to buy out or trade defenders.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yes, thanks to us you got to pay Callahan a million dollars a goal in his twilight years, got to spend a bundle of assets for McD who didn't help you get any further than you've already been, and got JT Miller to put the puck in your own net trying to play Gretzky.

TB hasn't accomplished a single thing NYR hasn't since their cup win with a completely different lineup over 10 years ago. I don't know where the hubris comes from - you have a lineup that should have won multiple times and instead your best players sleepwalk through elimination over and over while some fans talk like you've built a dynasty.

There are pretty good odds this iteration of TB ends up exactly where the Rangers are, a good lineup that couldn't get it done when it mattered despite bringing in a few waves of reinforcements in to help the cause.

Not going to disagree with that. The only difference is our window is going to be open for a little longer than the Rangers was.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'd love to see TB spend assets to pick up this guy. As long as he doesn't come to Toronto

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Even if the value is fair, Canucks have no need for Johnson. Perhaps a 3-team trade would work here, with Johnson going to a team that could use a top-6 center right now (MTL, ANA, STL?)
To Anaheim: Tyler Johnson, Baertschi/Goldobin/Granlund/Gagner/Sutter/Whatever veteran they need.

To Vancouver: Anaheim 1st, Tampa 2nd, Dotchin/Koekkoek

To Tampa: Tanev

Would also be willing to take shorter term cap dumps back in the deal going to Vancouver, for some mid round picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
Lets say Vancouver doesn't trade Tanev.

Tanev
Edler
Hutton
Stetcher
Gudbranson
Del Zotto
Biega
Pouliot

Stetcher will get extended. Most likely Pouliot. Where do they fit if you keep Tanev? You are already at 8 Defenseman, 6 of which are on 1 way contracts. with a high chance Stetcher's new deal will be 1 way. Maybe Pouliot will get 2 way. The point here is A) there is no space if the roster stays. B) Even with the inevitable Tanev injury, they are already carrying max defenders.

So barring trading Tanev, there is no spot for Juolevi or whomever they pick right now. Unless they decide to buy out or trade defenders.
Pouliot,Hutton or DelZotto can sit, it’s common knowledge in Van City that with the twins off the books, it’s gonna be all about youth movement

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan only has two years left on his contract, those years we won't be competitive yet anyways.
I also think it's likely that either: Callahan = no Bozak signing, or Callahan = IR most of the season with cap space saved.

Which is why Callahan likely won't have Vancouver on his 10-team trade list. He would only waive to a contender and/or what's good for his family, which also makes Buffalo a possible landing spot even if they are not a contender. His salary is down to 4.7 million the last two seasons, 7th on the team now, so it's really not as big of an issue as some people make it out to be. He still is a very effective bottom 6 forward, and will be back by October, so won't miss much time next season. He's just overpaid, but not as much in the final two seasons of that contract.

I think Johnson and Killorn are the more concerning contracts now since they run way past the Callahan contract and both fell short of their usual playoff performances this year. So could see them moved, especially Johnson who's NMC/NTC does not kick in till July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad