TSN: Tampa bay has Contacted Vancouver about Tanev

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Will be Tyler Johnson if it happens Brayden Point has over taken him in Tampa for the number two center spot

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The McDonagh trade was brutally awful. I was happy we at least didn’t give up Foote but to give up Hajek, Howden, a 1st, and either another 1st or a 2nd to get a two-year bandaid who’s not only in decline but who plays the wrong side for our needs? For that price we could have gotten a damn good young defenseman who would have been a long term solution. Instead we’ve sold away our future, drastically shortened our window, and didn’t even resolve our short term need. Tanev would just be the icing on the **** cake we’re already eating.
Sold away our future? Pal we are set at just about all positions moving forward. Our forward prospect pool is glorious even without Howden, and our d pool is decent.

Reactions: HolyJumpin40

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Bolts could take the bubble wrap we used to wrap Sami Salo in when not on the ice, accident proof his home, and lease a Hummer. Then we may get 60 games a year out of him. :laugh:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
He doesn't play a 'sexy' game. He plays a safe and smart game. He's not fun to watch, like a Sergachev or Karlsson... But he does what he does very well and he's valuable because of that. He's a fantastic partner for any d-man that likes to pinch and play more offensively at times. I'd actually put him with Sergachev and see Sergachev flourish... I'm sure you've heard this, but when played with Rielly in the World Championships, Rielly played the best I've ever seen him play and got tournament MVP because of it, all while giving much of the credit to his D partner, Tanev....

Fellow players appreciate the game he plays because you hardly notice the guy's game unless you're paying attention to it. He's a calming presence on the ice, but also a frustrating player to play against. He gets compliments from great forwards all the time.
I'm not saying he's a bad player, just seemed odd to read a post saying that on his own he wasn't much to look at.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think we have a lot of movable forwards. Johnson, Miller, maybe even a guy like Cirelli.

All three make sense but I'd keep Cirelli out of it. I don't have any reason to doubt that he will continue to excel under pressure just like he always has at every other level.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Here is a question that Vancouver fans could answer if they watched our series vs the Caps: Would having Tanev in our lineup have helped beat the Caps?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Here is a question that Vancouver fans could answer if they watched our series vs the Caps: Would having Tanev in our lineup have helped beat the Caps?

Would he have scored a number of game winning goals? Probably not. Would he have smoked Ovechkin and left him confused as to who brought the Zamboni on the ice during play? Again, not likely.

A player like Tanev would buy time before a first goal and allow Tampa's artillery to re-calibrate. He is able to smother the offense of some of the best scorers and playmakers in our division. At best a few of the Capitals rampaging forwards would have been cooled off, at worst he would have bought time to adjust your strategy while the game is tied.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I see a few people saying Tanev is going to mentor the young kids coming into Vancouver. My question is, which d prospects do fans think will make the team? Another hypothetical for Vancouver fans is, by keeping Tanev for another year waiting for the right deal. Do you risk him getting hurt again this season which vindicates all the other people saying he is injury prone and risk lowering his value? Do you risk him getting hurt in his final year of the contract near the deadline which would plummet his value even more? The only two points of actual data we have is that Tanev is an elite 2D defenseman when he's playing and that he is a lock for being hurt for 10-15 games a year.

Holding on too long is basically the Erhoff and Hamhuis situation all over again.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Would he have scored a number of game winning goals? Probably not. Would he have smoked Ovechkin and left him confused as to who brought the Zamboni on the ice during play? Again, not likely.

A player like Tanev would buy time before a first goal and allow Tampa's artillery to re-calibrate. He is able to smother the offense of some of the best scorers and playmakers in our division. At best a few of the Capitals rampaging forwards would have been cooled off, at worst he would have bought time to adjust your strategy while the game is tied.

I agree that Tanev would have helped shut down more of Washington's defense. He would have helped us keep them close and gave Vasy some better looks. Maybe helped McDonagh or Hedman roam and generate more. But that is to say he was healthy.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I see a few people saying Tanev is going to mentor the young kids coming into Vancouver. My question is, which d prospects do fans think will make the team? Another hypothetical for Vancouver fans is, by keeping Tanev for another year waiting for the right deal. Do you risk him getting hurt again this season which vindicates all the other people saying he is injury prone and risk lowering his value? Do you risk him getting hurt in his final year of the contract near the deadline which would plummet his value even more? The only two points of actual data we have is that Tanev is an elite 2D defenseman when he's playing and that he is a lock for being hurt for 10-15 games a year.

Holding on too long is basically the Erhoff and Hamhuis situation all over again.

Specifically Juolevi, who could use some evening out in his own zone, and possibly our D choice this year, both of whom would benefit from a role model instead of just being thrown into a situation they are unfamiliar with. We have other D, but Del Zotto and Pouliot aren't exactly the kind of players we need more of.

We kept Ehrhoff thinking he'd resign, tried to get him to a discount due to our cap situation, and realistically we thought we were competing still.

Hamhuis held all the cards and severely limited the possible return, and as bad a call as it is in hindsight, Benning held out for more and made it public he wouldn't be back if he didn't cooperate.

We have no bad blood with Tanev, we're not competing, we have a ton of cap space the next several seasons, and frankly all we'd be doing is creating an RHD hole on our team later if we move him for a weak return.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I agree that Tanev would have helped shut down more of Washington's defense. He would have helped us keep them close and gave Vasy some better looks. Maybe helped McDonagh or Hedman roam and generate more. But that is to say he was healthy.
Actually, no...no he wouldn't, because he had a season ending injury. The Leafs were talking with Van at the deadline, but it was clear Tanev was done.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Question 1. We have young Dmen like Juolevi Stecher Hutton that will likely make the team. Even a guy like Derrick Poliout could learn a ton from Tanev. High possibility of Dobson Hughes Bouhard as well after the draft. Not sure they make the team but its a possibility.

Question 2. If he gets hurt again this year then his value will stay the same as he has a percieved low value at the momment which is why Tampa wants him for Koekkek/Dochin plus pick. Im sure at the very least Van will get at the TDL on his final year of a great contract. Also if tbays final cost is Koekkek/Dochin plus picks then there would be 20 teams lining up who cam beat that offer.

At that point thE Canucks propbably offer Tanev a short term contract extension.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Specifically Juolevi, who could use some evening out in his own zone, and possibly our D choice this year, both of whom would benefit from a role model instead of just being thrown into a situation they are unfamiliar with. We have other D, but Del Zotto and Pouliot aren't exactly the kind of players we need more of.

We kept Ehrhoff thinking he'd resign, tried to get him to a discount due to our cap situation, and realistically we thought we were competing still.

Hamhuis held all the cards and severely limited the possible return, and as bad a call as it is in hindsight, Benning held out for more and made it public he wouldn't be back if he didn't cooperate.

We have no bad blood with Tanev, we're not competing, we have a ton of cap space the next several seasons, and frankly all we'd be doing is creating an RHD hole on our team later if we move him for a weak return.

My point was more along the lines of diminished return for waiting. Tanev's top value imo is in the off season with the question of his health is padded by an extra year on his contract. For a rebuilding team maximising return with their most valuable tradable asset should be paramount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad