TSN: Tampa bay has Contacted Vancouver about Tanev

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hey, I am one of the few lightning fans that like Tanev. He's been my favourite Canuck for years. I watch him all the time, me living in Vancouver, my whole life. I've been a Lightning fan since 98, but because of my family watch Canucks games, regularly, I know very well what he is capable of when he is on the ice. I value that. But its like I am beating a dead horse here, the fact that we can't even say he'll be healthy for a season because it would be a lie is a problem. The guy whether he is made of glass, unlucky, or plays dangerously, matters not. Just like Canuck fans say he is an elite 2D (Which I agree), the fact which is his complete counter argument is "he maybe elite, but he won't be elite on the ice because he is injured" hurts his value tremendously. You're basically trying to sell a Mercedes with dents, an engine that needs repair, a new transmission. Is it a Mercedes? Yes, a nice one. Does it require work? Yes because you treated in poorly and its banged up. Does that mean you can ask full price? Nope.

I said in previous threads that Vancouver and Tampa are not good trading partners. Because to us Foote offers something major. Cost control for years and possibly a future pairing partner for Sergachev. Tanev helps us now, but we Yzerman doesn't gut the future for the present. While he traded the firsts for McDonagh, and Howden and Hajek, both were expendable because of players like Cernak, Masin, and Cirelli. The firsts suck, but we are typically terrible in the first round aside from Vasy. If the ask is Foote and a first, or like someone who was completely out to lunch asking for Sergachev or Point (Rangers fans tried this), then hold on to Tanev and don't trade anything for him.

Tanev helps but doesn't push us over the top. And from the sounds of it, Tanev won't bring in want Vancouver wants and are happy to keep him.

Side Note, I don't think Juolevi makes the team right out of camp this year. Maybe later in the year, but not out of the gates.
Completely reasonable.

I wouldn't trade him unless some GM is willing to give us a young core or potential core piece but from your side and any others i would not be happy with my GM if he gave that up? its a holding game and i believe that some team with a window without as much talent as you have in TB on the blueline will pony up and most likely its picks so the GM can send it down the road and hope we dont pull a nugget

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Completely reasonable.

I wouldn't trade him unless some GM is willing to give us a young core or potential core piece but from your side and any others i would not be happy with my GM if he gave that up? its a holding game and i believe that some team with a window without as much talent as you have in TB on the blueline will pony up and most likely its picks so the GM can send it down the road and hope we dont pull a nugget

It's one of those things where both sides have completely valid points and both agree with each others points, but neither side agree to the solution.

Reactions: kanucks25

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Maybe. The thing is, as mentioned before, it's been reported that Yzerman wouldn't include Foote in whatever lowball offer we made to Ottawa for Karlsson (I don't think we made a serious attempt to land Karlsson), but, more importantly, Yzerman wouldn't budge on Foote in the McDonagh deal. So I don't see him doing it now. MAYBE if we could get Callahan to waive and Vancouver ate the remainder of that contract. But that feels really unlikely.
I know Foote is off the table on your end, but was there a report that he was asked for in the McDonough deal and Yzerman said no way? Or is it just that he didn't get moved so the assumption is that he is off the table?

As for Tanev to Tampa, it doesn't really make sense after the McDonough deal. Tampa has given up a lot already, and if Foote is off the table there isn't much that would make sense now.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I know Foote is off the table on your end, but was there a report that he was asked for in the McDonough deal and Yzerman said no way? Or is it just that he didn't get moved so the assumption is that he is off the table?

As for Tanev to Tampa, it doesn't really make sense after the McDonough deal. Tampa has given up a lot already, and if Foote is off the table there isn't much that would make sense now.
Multiple reports noted that Foote was untouchable in a trade for either EK or McDonagh.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Sure he does. We have a need at top 4 RHD which is what Tanev is. We have too many LHD on this team now. Now the price that you mention may be the factor. I dont see SY giving up our best RHD prospect for a guy who has had a history of injuries.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's one of those things where both sides have completely valid points and both agree with each others points, but neither side agree to the solution.
Yes i agree. Thanks for the reasonable discussion. Usually its a heated bashing of players and i appreciate the down to earth opinion.

My darkhorse for Tanev is NYI. If they can't rectify that blueline this summer some other way i could see them enetering the fray with Tavares negotiations for sure centering around them going for it and Tanev and Tavares actually played together back in their youth and have the same windows. The Islanders defense is a tire fire and they have some pretty good assets.

As far as your team goes i think you need some heaviness without sacrificing too much the speed talent and quickness that makes you so good. It's a young group but the push needs to happen soon as Stamkos looks like he's getting pretty beat up. Defensively you can probably find some solid vets on deadline deals or UFA to fill the depth....good luck

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
My point was more along the lines of diminished return for waiting. Tanev's top value imo is in the off season with the question of his health is padded by an extra year on his contract. For a rebuilding team maximising return with their most valuable tradable asset should be paramount.

True, but scorching the earth isnt a good look either. Edmonton and Buffalo have learned that.

Also if we were mass selling our players, yes, we would need maximum value which we can get before injuries or bad play hurt a players value. However, outside of Tanev, who else to we move that holds value? Were almost better standing pat if Tanev is the only asset to return good value.

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
That's ridiculous, a youth movement does not include sitting assets to force an underdeveloped 17/18 year old to play in the NHL.

Hutton and Pouliot ARE the youth.
They are gonna give the youth a chance, so if you think to ridiculous then that’s your lack of being a GM showing, I don’t what to tell ya, how about calling up the staff and tell them how to do their job.....f...ing tools on this page

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
True, but scorching the earth isnt a good look either. Edmonton and Buffalo have learned that.

Also if we were mass selling our players, yes, we would need maximum value which we can get before injuries or bad play hurt a players value. However, outside of Tanev, who else to we move that holds value? Were almost better standing pat if Tanev is the only asset to return good value.

When Edmonton and Buffalo scorched the earth they had no where near the pieces around the board that Vancouver has right now.

Edmonton had 4 forwards, no Defense, no goalie. Now they have 4 forwards, 2 Defenseman, and 1 goalie.

Buffalo had 1 Defenseman, and pretty much nothing else for a long while.

Right now at least Vancouver has a good young forward core, a future star goaltender, and at least 2 solid defenders in the pipeline. Where the team is overall getting younger and moving in the right direction. Selling Tanev is not burning anything down, its just committing to a new change in the team.

Edit: One more point about the other players on the Canucks. Some players are worth something if Vancouver is willing to eat some salary. If they are willing to do that, then get lower picks. 3rd's, 4th's, and etc... Benning and his team are good at drafting. Fill in the depth with solid low end picks. Vancouver and Tampa also, have the luxury of having a good scouting team. So even lower end picks could bare some tasty fruit.

Last edited:

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They are gonna give the youth a chance, so if you think to ridiculous then that’s your lack of being a GM showing, I don’t what to tell ya, how about calling up the staff and tell them how to do their job.....f...ing tools on this page

I'm extremely sorry for displaying my 'lack of being a GM'. How embarrassing! :blush::blush::blush:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we are trading Johnson for Tanev it's 1 for 1 no adds. Tanev isn't worth Johnson +.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If we are trading Johnson for Tanev it's 1 for 1 no adds. Tanev isn't worth Johnson +.

Should be a +

Johnson is a 5'8 45-50 point center on a stacked team. I dont care if Tanev averages 20 missed games a year, hes still more valuable.

Who do you think Tyler Johnson is? His career year was an anomaly.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Should be a +

Johnson is a 5'8 45-50 point center on a stacked team. I dont care if Tanev averages 20 missed games a year, hes still more valuable.

The old stacked team argument, still boring and false

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The old stacked team argument, still boring and false

Okay, and take that argument out the window. Hes still a 5'8 45-50 point guy whose turning 28.

How does that provide any value to a rebuilding team?

I would love to hear your feedback.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Should be a +

Johnson averages 23g 32a 55p for his career. Matt Duchene averages 25g 35a 60p for his. He also has a great track record in the playoffs. Duchene went for a massive haul all while just having a year and half before FA while Johnson is locked up at a fair deal for 6 more years. Duchene has a little bit more value than Johnson but nobody would trade Duchene for Tanev.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Johnson averages 23g 32a 55p for his career. Matt Duchene averages 25g 35a 60p for his. He also has a great track record in the playoffs. Duchene went for a massive haul all while just having a year and half before FA while Johnson is locked up at a fair deal for 6 more years. Duchene has a little bit more value than Johnson but nobody would trade Duchene for Tanev.

Career average is the worse way to assess a player. Especially if that season career season happened 4 years ago.

How can you defined as a career average 55 point scorer If you have reached that once in your 5 year career? It is a technicality. Let's not pretend Duchene and Johnson are even remotely comparable.

Last edited:

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I think TB would be a good fit for Tanev and a good trading partner for the Canucks.

TB still has good assets, plus this upcoming year is their last year to " go for it" before they have some key RFA's to re up and they have to make a decision on McDonaugh. Have Coburn and Girardi UFA next summer also.

Tanev could slot into the top for, moving Girardi to 3rd pair. He will help your PK, he doesn't score much, but he does seem to score some key goals, from what I can remember some OT winners in years past.

Don't think he will garner a kings ransom, but should net a decent return, otherwise keep him and hope he stays healthy so he will be worth more at the TDL

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Career average is the worse way to assess a player. Especially if that season career season happened 4 years ago.

How can you defined as a career average 55 point scorer If you have reached that once in your 5 year career? It is a technicality. Let's not pretend Duchene and Johnson have the same value.

He's averaged or hit 50 points in every year but one in his career. It's been 5 years since Duchene has had his best year and only time he hit 70 points himself. If one wasn't a 1st overall and the other undrafted this wouldn't be as big an issue.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

How can you defined as a career average 55 point scorer If you have reached that once in your 5 year career? It is a technicality. Let's not pretend Duchene and Johnson have the same value.

3 out of the last 5 years he's scored at least 20 goals and 50 points. The only two seasons he didn't reach that were because of freak knee on knee collisions and because of lingering issues after someone broke his hand in the SCF.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He's averaged or hit 50 points in every year but one in his career. It's been 5 years since Duchene has had his best year and only time he hit 70 points himself. If one wasn't a 1st overall and the other undrafted this wouldn't be as big an issue.

Yes and a 50 point 5"8 centre at the age of 28 is valuable to the Canucks? The lightning are phoning the Canucks on acquiring Tanev. The buyer is supposed to make an incentive for the seller to make the deal. Not the other way around. It makes no sense to do a straight up deal whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad