TSN: Tampa bay has Contacted Vancouver about Tanev

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not for me - just too much to give up for a guy with Tanev’s injury issues. We’ll need good ELC players like Stephens and Volkov to provide cheap depth and outperform their contracts in the coming years when we’ll be up against the cap. And the only cap dump we have whose term matches Tanev’s is Callahan who probably can’t be traded to Vancouver, so while we could afford Tanev next season if we trade Miller we definitely can’t afford him the following season when Kucherov, Point, and Gourde get their new deals. So between the injury history and our cap situation it just doesn’t make sense for us.

What do you think would be an appropriate price? I get that you need cheap ELC depth, but you do have A LOT of options in that area. Raddysh and Katchouk will be turning pro next season and just beginning their ELCs in addition to the tons of guys you have in Syracuse.

The injury issues are a legit concern, but it's not like he's had recurring injuries in the same spot...He just gets hurt. Probably due to his style (which is what makes him good).

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
No, you and the rest of the Canucks fanbase clearly lack fundamental reading skills. I’ve said repeatedly that he’s a fine player when healthy and that my lack of desire to acquire him is due solely to his significant injury issues. But keep on making those straw man arguments and ad hominem attacks.:thumbu:

Regardless of why you value Tanev as you do; it’s way off.

If you don’t want him, ok, but don’t value him (and argue his value with others) because of your preference to not have a defenseman that plays 60 games a year.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
That is an absurd ask for Tanev.

Drop one of those two major pieces.

If you think we are getting a 1st + a prospect like Foote, your expectations need adjusting.

Just saying that's the age of players that Benning usually targets in trades.

The ideal return is Foote + 1st in 2019 (or even 2020) + Callahan (or Girardi) for Tanev + 37th overall and maybe a replacement like Granlund or something along those lines.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That is an absurd ask for Tanev.

Drop one of those two major pieces.

If you think we are getting a 1st + a prospect like Foote, your expectations need adjusting.

Start high, work your way down. I'd be totally happy with just Foote for Tanev.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If we are giving Foote it will be for Karlsson. Dont see us giving up our best RHD prospect for a guy who has had some injury issues. Last thing we need is another Callahan on D. Not saying he would be that but you dont take that chance giving up your best RHD prospect.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If we are giving Foote it will be for Karlsson. Dont see us giving up our best RHD prospect for a guy who has had some injury issues. Last thing we need is another Callahan on D. Not saying he would be that but you dont take that chance giving up your best RHD prospect.

That's fair. I don't know much of Tampa's needs, but the benefit of Tanev over Karlsson is obviously preventing goals rather than scoring them - so if you're in need of more defence and goal prevention, Tanev is a good option. His contract is and will be much cheaper than Karlsson's as well, which I imagine could be a great benefit when you need to re-sign guys like Sergachev, Point, etc.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That's fair. I don't know much of Tampa's needs, but the benefit of Tanev over Karlsson is obviously preventing goals rather than scoring them - so if you're in need of more defence and goal prevention, Tanev is a good option. His contract is and will be much cheaper than Karlsson's as well, which I imagine could be a great benefit when you need to re-sign guys like Sergachev, Point, etc.

The real problem is the lack of RHD prospects on our team. Cernak and Foote are the only legitimate D prospects we have on that side. With Hedman locked up long term and Sergachev taking over for McDonagh when/if he leaves we are set on the left side. Cant say the same about the right side. I dont mind Tanev, but not for that price and even though we need our D to tighten up, we still have Stralman and McDonagh 2 of the better defensive D in the league. Hedman is obviously really good Defensively too. I think Karlsson is a little underrated there too. Point is with a top 4 being that strong defensively adding a monster point machine on D like Karlsson would make the D amazing. I think the majority of our defensive issues lied in our system. No team with a top 4 D of Hedman, Stralman and McDonagh should get scored on very often.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad