Post-Game Talk: Talbezina

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Reading 58 pages random comments in a GDT? nah, I'll take the readers digest version. Learned to stray far away from those in the moment everybody sucks threads.

Luckily you can just read my PGT titles for a nice bite size summary. ;)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
All this talk of trading posters reminds me of something I did on this board a long, long time ago...

(Cheers to the vets who were here for that fiasco ... @Mowzie )
GlaringKlutzyBluegill-size_restricted.gif

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
All this talk of trading posters reminds me of something I did on this board a long, long time ago...

LOL I think that rings a bell. Didn't we still have Horcoff?

Shame on you. Suggesting I should go play for the 'Lames?

I can't believe you'd say such a thing.

Come on, man. It's for the team!
We can see you love your polls.
You can go have fun making polls for the Flames and the results will bring you delight! ;)

Shame on you. Suggesting I should go play for the 'Lames?

I can't believe you'd say such a thing.

So if everyone in Edmonton coughed up $68.62 bucks we could get it done?
Let's start a campaign!

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I joined two years ago. What happened?
I'm a little fuzzy on details but basically Mowzie was traded for some guy on the isles board who made absolutely incredible GDTs and he made one for the Oil that night.

Mowzie made one for the isles but it was all text, filled with spelling mistakes had wrong players listed etc. It was hilarious.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm a little fuzzy on details but basically Mowzie was traded for some guy on the isles board who made absolutely incredible GDTs and he made one for the Oil that night.

Mowzie made one for the isles but it was all text, filled with spelling mistakes had wrong players listed etc. It was hilarious.
That's amazing :laugh::laugh::laugh:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
All Talbot all day. The reason the Oilers won the game. Ducks had it all over us early and Talbot held the fort and held them off the scoresheet. Wonder how much credit he was given tonight here.

Albeit the thread title is something..

I gave Talbot full credit several times in the GDT... and very early at that. I noted that he was playing rock solid and it was going to be a solid night for him after he made his few initial saves.

You could tell he was going to have a good game and you got the sense he had something to prove as well.

He was actually solid in the LA game as well in relief after coming in for Koskinen.

I personally try to call it like I see it with the goalies and will give credit where it's due.

I would honestly like nothing better than for Talbot to rebound back into his 16/17 form AND have Koskinen playing well also.

Ideally it's a 1A/1B situation but we certainly need at least one goalie to get close to that 92% level if this team has a chance at going anywhere as the team offense and defense are still too sketchy to also have mediocre goaltending.

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003

The best part of that was his gdt on the isles board. It was done so lazily looool

I joined two years ago. What happened?

That's amazing :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Haha, memories! I remember I kept saying "hey guys" and used no punctuation. That was really a lot of fun because a lot of people thought the trade was serious and were super pissed off and confused. Isles board was pissed that I was their new GDT guy as their guy was really really really good at GDT's. I was getting private messages from people really confused and sending me well wishes. I gotta try to dig that up.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He can do that all day long if he wants to. Hopefully Hitch had a heart to heart with him and this will be more common than what we've been seeing lately.

But its a small players game now...heh.

I wish Lucic would do more of that. I know several people said that. But that's a train coming. Maybe he read the comments on here today.

I can't imagine if felt too good being lined up like that lol how the Duck tried to give back on that one. Nah, you're destroyed, you lose in physics.

Lucic actually played well tonight.

I was watching the Ducks feed since the game is blacked out on gamecenter for me On that feed it was clear that Montour was holding onto Looch going into the corner and he still got tossed like a rag doll. If Looch doesn't score much but t least does stuff like that and stands up for his teammates I can stomach him on the team in spite of the brutal cap hit.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Haha, memories! I remember I kept saying "hey guys" and used no punctuation. That was really a lot of fun because a lot of people thought the trade was serious and were super pissed off and confused. Isles board was super pissed that I was there new GDT guy as their guy was really really really good at GDT's. I was getting private messages from people really confused and sending me well wishes. I gotta try to dig that up.

Here is a GDT I did in the same terrible style. GDT: - Oilers and Preds hey

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He can do that all day long if he wants to. Hopefully Hitch had a heart to heart with him and this will be more common than what we've been seeing lately.

I was watching the Ducks feed since the game is blacked out on gamecenter for me On that feed it was clear that Montour was holding onto Looch going into the corner and he still got tossed like a rag doll. If Looch doesn't score much but t least does stuff like that and stands up for his teammates I can stomach him on the team in spite of the brutal cap hit.

I was watching the Ducks feed as well... and their replay camera angle showed when Nurse made his Hulk-Smash hit on Henrique.. he had quite the grimaced look while flying through the air. Excellent entertainment value and that would make an excellent gif from that angle as well.

I also agree... this team has the potential to regularly bully teams with their physicality... yet most times they play as soft as bunny rabbits out there. Sure they get a few hits per game, but very rarely can you really say that the Oilers physicality made a difference in a game but it did tonight.

If they play like this more often... they'd EASILY be in a playoff spot because teams wouldn't be able to just glide through games and not break a sweat like the LA team just did.

I also agree... it's a major piss off to see what this team is capable of, then see them half-ass it most nights and not even give 50% let alone 100% most games.

It's no coincidence we finally saw a couple forwards other than Drai/McD/RNH/Chaisson get on the board tonight. That wasn't just a coincidence... that came from the entire team being more engaged and actually giving a shit for a change and the opportunities and goals came along with that.

This team does have limited talent and skill... but they certainly don't have to play half assed and not work hard every night... because that just makes it worse. When they play with some passion and intensity, the team can somewhat make up for a lack of skill... and that's when Drai/McD/Nuge come in and supply their skill... as they get a little more room out there when the rest of the less skilled players are at least working their asses off and creating some chaos at least.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Haha, memories! I remember I kept saying "hey guys" and used no punctuation. That was really a lot of fun because a lot of people thought the trade was serious and were super pissed off and confused. Isles board was super pissed that I was there new GDT guy as their guy was really really really good at GDT's. I was getting private messages from people really confused and sending me well wishes. I gotta try to dig that up.

I remember the hey guys thing, it cracked me up real good lol.

Edit: I had a different account back then...

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Not that optimistic about the Oilers and Talbot. They have to be more consistent for me to and most fans to have faith. They are only close to the playoffs because of how lousy the other teams near the playoffs cut have played.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't think too many of us are under any illusions that this game is a major turning point.

This was Talbot playing unreal... stopping all 39 shots.

That's obviously not going to happen every night... most nights he'll likely let in 4 goals on that many shots... or at least 3... but tonight he was in the zone and rock solid... and the team around him actually buried their chances when they got them... 4 goals on 24 shots because they actually had some drive and tenacity out there.

The shot clock was still one-sided though... you can't be outshot 39-24 and expect to win many of those.

Most of the time good or even average teams will bury you with those shot counts and the Oilers ran into a crappy slumping team plus they rebounded after a craptastic effort the night before against LA and played a more aggressive, capitalizing game against the Ducks.

The underlying fundamentals are still bad though... Oilers have been outshot in 11 of their last 12 games.

The shots over those past 12 games are:

293 shots for... 24.4 per game
408 shots against... 34.0 per game

You aren't going to win the majority of your games when you are being outshot by an average of 10 shots per game so either the offense needs to improve... or the defense needs to improve, or both, or this team is going to only win games when the goalie stands on his head... like what happened tonight.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Holy ****, that's hilarious :laugh: if you ever find the one from the isles thread please @ me. I just had a good laugh :laugh:

It's my understanding that it's no longer in the archives. It was funny though. My HF career kind of mirrored Ryan Smyth. I was a great Oiler, got traded to NYI, it didn't really pan out. I eventually found my way back to HFOIL, but I was a shadow of the poster I was before the trade.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I don't think too many of us are under any illusions that this game is a major turning point.

This was Talbot playing unreal... stopping all 39 shots.

That's obviously not going to happen every night... most nights he'll likely let in 4 goals on that many shots... or at least 3... but tonight he was in the zone and rock solid... and the team around him actually buried their chances when they got them... 4 goals on 24 shots because they actually had some drive and tenacity out there.

The shot clock was still one-sided though... you can't be outshot 39-24 and expect to win many of those.

Most of the time good or even average teams will bury you with those shot counts and the Oilers ran into a crappy slumping team plus they rebounded after a craptastic effort the night before against LA and played a more aggressive, capitalizing game against the Ducks.

The underlying fundamentals are still bad though... Oilers have been outshot in 11 of their last 12 games.

The shots over those past 12 games are:

293 shots for... 24.4 per game
408 shots against... 34.0 per game

You aren't going to win the majority of your games when you are being outshot by an average of 10 shots per game so either the offense needs to improve... or the defense needs to improve, or both, or this team is going to only win games when the goalie stands on his head... like what happened tonight.
Of course everyone knows that. Fans are just happy with the win. I think they will miss the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was watching the Ducks feed as well... and their replay camera angle showed when Nurse made his Hulk-Smash hit on Henrique.. he had quite the grimaced look while flying through the air. Excellent entertainment value and that would make an excellent gif from that angle as well.

I also agree... this team has the potential to regularly bully teams with their physicality... yet most times they play as soft as bunny rabbits out there. Sure they get a few hits per game, but very rarely can you really say that the Oilers physicality made a difference in a game but it did tonight.

If they play like this more often... they'd EASILY be in a playoff spot because teams wouldn't be able to just glide through games and not break a sweat like the LA team just did.

I also agree... it's a major piss off to see what this team is capable of, then see them half-ass it most nights and not even give 50% let alone 100% most games.

It's no coincidence we finally saw a couple forwards other than Drai/McD/RNH/Chaisson get on the board tonight. That wasn't just a coincidence... that came from the entire team being more engaged and actually giving a **** for a change and the opportunities and goals came along with that.

This team does have limited talent and skill... but they certainly don't have to play half assed and not work hard every night... because that just makes it worse. When they play with some passion and intensity, the team can somewhat make up for a lack of skill... and that's when Drai/McD/Nuge come in and supply their skill... as they get a little more room out there when the rest of the less skilled players are at least working their asses off and creating some chaos at least.

The bolded is the teams true identity. The key is maintaining that for most of the season...not easy to do because you have to create and maintain your own intensity level many nights.
The playoffs are another matter though...you can more easily maintain that identity in the playoffs.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad