Post-Game Talk: Talbezina

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I honestly believe they could bully and lean hard on teams with their physicality... which would wear on the opposition at least and make games tougher so the opposition doesn't have easy, smiling wins like LA just had.

Lucic
Nurse
Kassian
Khaira
Larsson
Benning
Manning
Petrovic

All big guys with some solid physicality in their games.

Drai/Brodziak/Chiasson/Gravel are all good sized guys as well... not physical but not easily pushed around.

There's absolutely no reason this team can't play hard-nosed tenacious hockey on most nights instead of the soft floating version of the Oilers we usually see.

Yes I know the refs are biased and call every chintzy penalty against the Oilers while overlooking blatant calls when McDavid etc get hooked/slashed/mugged and you will get burned by opposition power plays if you play too physical... but that's no reason to play so lackadaisical in so many games like they do.

I honestly hope this game was a wake-up call for the team to be more engaged and actually give a level of effort because obviously a higher level of effort makes a difference on the scoreboard and will be appreciated by their fanbase as well.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
That 4th goal was just absolutely electrifying, to see Lucic send Montour into another dimension, win the puck battle and set up the Leon goal was pure awesome.
Puljujarvi with a nice goal, Brodziak with with a shorty, Talbot with a shut-out. The definition of a team win, it was a game of resurgence for the players who have been struggling

Biggest game of the year, 4 pt divisional game with the team we're chasing for the wild card, and they get the win with authority.

After the game against the Sharks, I really like the schedule for the rest of the month. Good set-up for a streak or two

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Can you imagine if the loss to the Oilers is the straw that forces an Anahiem coaching change and brings Eakins back into the NHL?

U have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa then Eakins coming back to coach the Oilers

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This should quiet the trade Kris Russell crowd on this forum for a day.

Only when you get trash like we just traded for can you appreciate this cowboy

I'm a Kris Russell fan, always have been. Its good we have Petrovic and Manning now. Now all the Oiler critics can direct all their hate on them and leave the whipping boy Russell alone

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Didn’t watch today. Really happy for Talbot. Man did he ever need that game. Nice to see the gifs of Nurse and Lucic throwing Ducks around. More of that please.

Reactions: Aerrol and LaGu

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I wouldn’t count on Sekera coming back and even if he does, some of the intel is that he is going to struggle. He really hasn’t played for us for a couple years now (at least the way he used to be), so I wouldn’t put him in the mix. It’s Klefbom coming back and that’s it, as far as I’m concerned.

We are now into week 5 of Klefbom injury. He got hurt Dec 11 against Colorado. One tough game against SJ Tuesday night and then 6 outta 7 at home against some lighter opposition. After the home stand they have a full week off for all star and thatey will be well into week 8 of Klefbom injury and hopefully fingers healed. Believe people!

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
GlaringKlutzyBluegill-size_restricted.gif

I was a mod for HFOil back then and made a whole series of cryptic threads about a major trade as HFOil “GM”, playing on how horrible Kevin Lowe was at the time and how the board needed a major change as GDTs were becoming stale.

Then I traded two HFOil posters for a HFNYI poster named Law who made incredible GDTs. It was all planned with a NYI mod and those posters. It was pretty incredible when I think about it. The trade thread and Mowzie’s GDT were epic.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Haha, memories! I remember I kept saying "hey guys" and used no punctuation. That was really a lot of fun because a lot of people thought the trade was serious and were super pissed off and confused. Isles board was pissed that I was their new GDT guy as their guy was really really really good at GDT's. I was getting private messages from people really confused and sending me well wishes. I gotta try to dig that up.

I remember we had to some actual damage control after some of the Isles board took the whole thing seriously and were not happy at all. LOL

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly believe they could bully and lean hard on teams with their physicality... which would wear on the opposition at least and make games tougher so the opposition doesn't have easy, smiling wins like LA just had.

Lucic
Nurse
Kassian
Khaira
Larsson
Benning
Manning
Petrovic

All big guys with some solid physicality in their games.

Drai/Brodziak/Chiasson/Gravel are all good sized guys as well... not physical but not easily pushed around.

There's absolutely no reason this team can't play hard-nosed tenacious hockey on most nights instead of the soft floating version of the Oilers we usually see.
This is what I don't get. Even if you can't get it going offensively, why can't they do this night in and night out?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
This is what I don't get. Even if you can't get it going offensively, why can't they do this night in and night out?

This is how Chia built the team. A team that could go up and win battles against the big ducks, kings, and sharks

It worked 2 years ago, and the reason why Chia fired TM.

TM didnt want the team playing that kinda way for whatever reason, and the team lost its way. Hitch is trying to get it back.

Reactions: McFuhryous

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm a little fuzzy on details but basically Mowzie was traded for some guy on the isles board who made absolutely incredible GDTs and he made one for the Oil that night.

Mowzie made one for the isles but it was all text, filled with spelling mistakes had wrong players listed etc. It was hilarious.
I love these moments. There are thousands of people here but moments like these makes us feel like a much smaller community.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is how Chia built the team. A team that could go up and win battles against the big ducks, kings, and sharks

TM didnt want the team playing that kinda way for whatever reason, and the team lost its way. Hitch is trying to get it back.

TM wanted to coach a team that played like his Sharks.
We haven't had the level of depth to play like his Sharks since we were winning cups.
We were so good then back then that we would have won a cup even if I was coaching the team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't get why it would be so hard to get back to doing. Larsson and Nurse maybe had to take a step back as the defense was weak and they couldn't afford the energy or risk the penalty. However the forwards weren't doing anything offensively, so at the very least they should've been playing tougher

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
two reasons

1) There is a sheep mentality by some on this board and they fear being outcasts
2) Others think they understand fancy stats and Russell's so called fancy stats are some of the worst in the league--so they base their criticism on that and not on ice play

The irony being Russell is even worse by the eye test than he is by the numbers but keep beating that dead horse.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I’m not sure you’ll find anyone that’s actually watched him regularly who would agree with you

I can't speak to last night's game as I didn't watch but I hated Russell's inability to make any breakout attempt except to ring it up the boards to the other team way before I read any advanced stats of his. I don't think it's that outrageous to dislike the player from the eye test alone.

And yes, I can admit he helps the team keep the puck out and steadies the game in our end. I just detest watching him play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad