Post-Game Talk: Talbezina

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
91sn32Q.jpg
You win the day for me with this post

Reactions: McAsuno

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Then he’s long overdue cuz in this league there is fighting. Someday he’s going to cross check someone and they’re just going to start throwing them. If he turtles then he’s going to get hurt. It’s coming, just wait and see
Then that player gets a triple minor like Kassian did and Drai gets tons of time to stack those PP goals baby!

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'm fine with letting Lucic and Nurse handling any possible fights. Last thing we need is for Drai to try to fight when he just doesn't know how and then get concussed. The Ducks would just love that, and so would many of their fans. Not worth it. Screw him, or leave it to Lucic to sort out -- especially when he's on the ice at the same time, which was the case. Let's not start encouraging Drai, McDavid and RNH to start fighting. It's not really even in their DNA, and it's a bad idea.

Getlaf is a bit of a rat. Of course he would try to start a fight with a guy he knows doesn't know how in Drai; that's always been his way. If he really wants to fight, let him fight Lucic or Nurse if he thinks he's a tough guy (he wont).

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Draisaitl isn't a fighter, he likely would have gotten his ass kicked if he dropped the gloves with Getzlaf. And with the Oilers up 4-0, it would have served absolutely no purpose to get in a fight at that point.
I doubt anyone could disagree with this. However, Draisaitl does have a tendency to use his stick to exact retribution and a shocking lack of willingness for a man his size to square up. He can pick his spot, sure, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him stand up for himself once in awhile. I have no idea why the suggestion that he do so has elicited such scorn from the board. Nothing more boring than a dog pile.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I doubt anyone could disagree with this. However, Draisaitl does have a tendency to use his stick to exact retribution and a shocking lack of willingness for a man his size to square up. He can pick his spot, sure, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him stand up for himself once in awhile. I have no idea why the suggestion that he do so has elicited such scorn from the board. Nothing more boring than a dog pile.
We said why it “elicited” so much scorn.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Because you think Draisaitl can’t handle himself? Or because you think the poster is incognito from cpuck? Sorry, I don’t think either of those are right.
No there is a time and a place. What’s the point of Drai getting pummeled by Getzlaf (a bigger and more seasoned fighter) in a 4-0 game? The oilers don’t want that because he’s not on the ice and it gives the ducks some energy. Drai doesn’t want that because no one likes getting their ass kicked. Only guy who benefits is Getzlaf. Should Drai fight a guy more in his weight class instead of cross checking him? Sure I can get aboard that.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I agreed with @Del Preston that the timing/opponent may not have been great. I agree with what you say here. I just thought there was a total over reaction by some to the suggestion that Draisaitl stop waiting for Nurse etc to come defend him all the time.

Still .... if you are going to take a bad penalty, the time to do it may be when you have a big lead and little time remains in the clock. You wouldn’t do it in a 4-0 game because you wouldn’t want to be the guy who cost Talbot his shutout, but if the score was 4-1 or 5-1 I’d say that would be a great time to make Getzlaf accountable. Getzlaf is pretty tough and you’re probably right that Drai would get his ass handed to him, but the alternative may be that he gets a reputation as a bit of a p***y who uses his stick to defend himself. It’s not an attractive reputation to have. But I guess it’s up to Draisaitl to decide if that’s what he wants or not.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I don't really get the huge problem with what Draisaitl did.
There were two different situations:
1. Late in the first, when he started that scuffle with Henrique. He cross checked him 3 times, Henriques gave him one back and then they were looking and yapping at each other when Nurse came in and shoved Henrique down. I did not like that Drai started that, but he did not back down from Henrique either.
2. Midway through the second period, after he scored to make it 4-0. Lucic had that big hit on Montour to set this play up, and then after the goal skated by Montour and yapped at him. So Montour grabbed Lucic and Draisaitl went over, as did several other players (both Ducks and Oilers), to help their respective teammates. Drai didn't do anything noteworthy there, but thats when Getzlaf grabbed him and wanted to start a fight.

It's not like he started something (as he did with Henrique) and then backed out of a fight. It never got to that.
If Getzlaf was so upset about the Lucic hit that he wanted to fight, why not try to pick a fight with Milan? I guess Lucic might have dropped the gloves with him. Why pick Draisaitl in that moment?

Reactions: KarmaPolice

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If Getzlaf was so upset about the Lucic hit that he wanted to fight, why not try to pick a fight with Milan? I guess Lucic might have dropped the gloves with him. Why pick Draisaitl in that moment
I think we all know the answer to these questions. Getzlaf is smarter than that. He’s unlikely to throw down with Lucic unless given no choice.

Maybe Draisaitl could learn something there from an old pro. He doesn’t have to fight Getzlaf ... certainly not at a time of Getzlaf’s choosing. Maybe he could start with a more manageable battle ... like Adam Henrique - instead of using his stick like a battering ram, and then letting Darnell take care of the situation for him.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Talbot's play at the start of the game won us this game. One of those chances goes in and this team folds, so good on you Cam! Now keep it up.

JP's best game as an Oiler IMO. Lucic needs to play like that every game. I just don't get why he doesn't. Kassian looked great as well. Tough on the puck, smart plays and passes. I'm really liking him on the top line and I feel like he's been getting better each game.

Kessler was and always will be a piece of garbage. Retire already and take Getzlaugh with you. Ducks team are full of Angels and don't deserve any penalties. Glad that at least we pushed them as hard or harder than they tried to push us.

Need this type of team game every game. Very glad to have Russell back.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think we all know the answer to these questions. Getzlaf is smarter than that. He’s unlikely to throw down with Lucic unless given no choice.

Maybe Draisaitl could learn something there from an old pro. He doesn’t have to fight Getzlaf ... certainly not at a time of Getzlaf’s choosing. Maybe he could start with a more manageable battle ... like Adam Henrique - instead of using his stick like a battering ram, and then letting Darnell take care of the situation for him.

Darnell chose to come in. Drai and Henrique were staring each other down but neither was making a move to fight.

Reactions: Maverick41

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Henrique also flew like he was made of paper... Drai gave him unnecessary shots, yes, but I don't think he was going to back down if Henrique wanted to go... Drai also has a huge size advantage. Getzlaugh took exception and tried twice to engage with Drai, who didn't... (smartly)

I'm still reeling over that hit on McDavid though :/

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Cheerleading for your second best player who has a history of concussions to put himself at risk for no good reason is a stupid thing for a fan of this team to want.

I mean, Christ, this is the most cringe-worthy post I've seen on this board in a long time:

Messier never turtled, but he was a man. A Champion and a leader. A guy who had some pride in how he played and was perceived. Too bad today’s kids/social media fans never got to see him play

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If that’s the most cringe worthy post you’ve seen you need to read the board more often. It’s probably not even the worst post of the day.
put himself at risk for no good reason
Then he needs to lay off the stick work. That’s what’s putting him at risk.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Talbot came to play against the Ducks. Nurse has been a defensive stalwart since Klefbom went down and has been logging big minutes. Thankfully the Oilers were physical here and stuck up for each other. Draisaitl should bring it down a notch though. Puljujarvi and Brodziak provided some much needed secondary scoring as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad