Tribute T.J. Brodie Appreciation

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Who compared him to Barrie?!
Odd . I was going to write, hes like the opposite of what Barrie brought.

He seems to thrive on doing the little things and okay with having a quiet game. Barrie on the otherhand seemed to make everything look like it was the most difficult play in the world and more often then not stuck out in your mind with "C'on Barrie!" Plays

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Brodie is perhaps the best D on the roster at the moment. His outlet passes are freakin' brilliant, his puck tracking and anticipation is solid and defensively he remains level headed and does not play chicken in the d-zone.

Perhaps the best thing that has happened to our D. Now if Mo can calm the F down a little that pairing will cause serious trouble for the opposition

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Brodie is perhaps the best D on the roster at the moment. His outlet passes are freakin' brilliant, his puck tracking and anticipation is solid and defensively he remains level headed and does not play chicken in the d-zone.

Perhaps the best thing that has happened to our D. Now if Mo can calm the F down a little that pairing will cause serious trouble for the opposition
Good summary.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It is curious given it's one of the bigger beefs some folks have with Kyle. Looks like his initial assessment was right again.

Would be curious to know if moving Kadri was his decision alone or if the organization was pushing it? I mean, one can debate if the offer you want isn't there, then hold but I'd be curious if the organization said they wanted the distraction gone by a certain time or anything?
I know Dubas never said this to the media, but I think he had to trade Kadri because of his back to back playoff suspensions.

Plus since he tried to trade Kadri to Calgary and he vetoed it, I think he was at a point of no return and needed to find the next best option and unfortunately it was the trade for Barrie.

Now if Toronto did not blow their 3-2 series lead in 2019 and Kadri returned for the second round and played well, who knows what would have happened.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Another great move from Dubas
He’s not perfect , not even Sam Pollock was ,
But he’s made some subtle great timely moves
Unfortunately his vision was stunted by Lou and B...cock
Shanny and Dubas and Keefe and the management team are doing a fine job indeed

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Odd . I was going to write, hes like the opposite of what Barrie brought.

He seems to thrive on doing the little things and okay with having a quiet game. Barrie on the otherhand seemed to make everything look like it was the most difficult play in the world and more often then not stuck out in your mind with "C'on Barrie!" Plays
I felt a sense of relief Barrie was no longer on our team while watching him VS us in the Edmonton games.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Personally love that our struggling bottom pair dman from last year is Edmonton's best dman now, and they STILL think they have a better dcorps than us.

In fact, I predicted before the season this exact thing would happen.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Personally love that our struggling bottom pair dman from last year is Edmonton's best dman now, and they STILL think they have a better dcorps than us.

In fact, I predicted before the season this exact thing would happen.
Our defense has been probably the best in the north division TBH. They have managed the game very well. I am not sure how EDM fans could actually think their D is better TBH. They are hot dog shit. I will not knock Barrie for his time in TO, he is the player that came as advertised. He is defensively a train wreck but he can move a puck. I will say though, I was expecting him to be better offensively when he was in TO. He has skill no doubt, but absolute rocks in between the ears

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I was never a big fan of brodie and was deathly afraid of the Gio effect.

But he's been much steadier than I expected and his mistakes are nowhere in a guy like Jake's league.

He's already a guy I feel utterly safe with when he has the puck, and I'm sure his teammates feel the same.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
When I heard Brodie signed a 4-year/$20M contract with the Leafs last October, I really didn't know what to expect as I knew nothing about the guy.

So I lurked on the Flames board and read every post I could find about the guy. Most Flames fans comments were how great a guy he was. He was well liked, solid top pairing D and that they will miss him. They said Brodie is a perfect pairing for Reilly, he brought Giordano's offensive abilities and last season was one of his strongest year in terms of being defensively responsible.

Now that I've watched him play, all I can say is that they were right!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When I heard Brodie signed a 4-year/$20M contract with the Leafs last October, I really didn't know what to expect as I knew nothing about the guy.

So I lurked on the Flames board and read every post I could find about the guy. Most Flames fans comments were how great a guy he was. He was well liked, solid top pairing D and that they will miss him. They said Brodie is a perfect pairing for Reilly, he brought Giordano's offensive abilities and last season was one of his strongest year in terms of being defensively responsible.

Now that I've watched him play, all I can say is that they were right!
If fans of another team and this time it's of a Canadian team are saying the Leafs made a good signing, that's when you know Dubas did a good job.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like that Brodie will take the extra half second to make the (correct) play, has great mobility and a really great stick check. The fact that he's quietly efficient out there is an element to the Leafs defense I can't remember the last time we ever had. Traditionally when Toronto puts a higher skill defenseman into the lineup we tend to gravitate towards rovers and hope they make the correct play.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I like Sheldon Keefe but he needs to get Brodie away from Rielly ASAP.

All Purpose Morgan Rielly Discussion

This tells me my eyes don’t lie on Brodie. I’ve also been arguing Dermott has been quite good and getting flack.

Brodie really is our number 1 D, in the sense he can play all situations and perform well.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I sound like a broken record, but I would love to try Dermott - Brodie.

Brodie has been very good from my standpoint. His support of his D partner is excellent. Brodie reads the game really well, isolating on him when his D partner has the puck is really positive what he is thinking based on his positioning and adjustments etc. Dermott I would trade, he has not been good lately and inconsistent for 3 years. The 2nd goal last night, Dermott stepping up again and getting burned in the offensive zone this time. This is common for Dermott especially defending the rush, stepping up at the defensive blue line and getting burned. If u look at Dermott's skating and how he doesnt use it, combined with his decision making, its becoming somewhat clear that Dermott looks to have limited upside because his mental game isnt strong. It puzzles me at times why Dermott is frozen in his own zone, clearly looks like he has room to skate but isnt 100% sure what he wants to do, hesitates and forces a stretch pass or passes to Dman who doesnt have clear favourable options.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I sound like a broken record, but I would love to try Dermott - Brodie.

Muzzin-Brodie
Rielly-Holl

Seems like it would cover everyone's weaknesses best. There's no sense trying to get Rielly a partner who can help him down low, might as well put him with Holl to break up chances before they get set up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad