Tribute T.J. Brodie Appreciation

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Curious if others share the sentiment that Brodie has been a fantastic pickup. He’s quickly becoming our number 1 all around D man imho. Steady, calm, smart, efficient, skilled, battles, a true diverse toolset. Can play any situation, can matchup wherever needed, he’s quietly becoming a player Keefe can lean hard on.

He made a few fantastic quick up passes last night in particular that didn’t show up on the scoresheet, but were instrumental to subsequent chances. Every game we are seeing different wrinkles, more positives and emerging anchor on D. He’s exactly what the Leafs needed on defence.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Another player who plays with poise, calm, and self assurance - and who has beautiful skating, too.

That poise will keep rubbing off on and calming the rest of the team more and more as the season rolls on.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Great pickup, can understand now why Dubas wanted to acquire him initially for Kadri.

Keep it up. I love his skating and his smarts. The way he used his body to take lane away on 2-on1 against, followed by moving his stick to block the pass after was unreal.

Also had a beauty stretch pass to Boyd for the tic-tac-toe goal.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Great pickup, can understand now why Dubas wanted to acquire him initially for Kadri.

Keep it up. I love his skating and his smarts. The way he used his body to take lane away on 2-on1 against, followed by moving his stick to block the pass after was unreal.

Also had a beauty stretch pass to Boyd for the tic-tac-toe goal.
That pass to Boyd last night was gold.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I was cautiously optimistic when the leafs picked him up. He has currently out preformed my expectations. Excellent partner for Reilly that allows him to play his game. Brodie has preformed like a more mobile Ron Hainsey and been effective in all 3 zones. His poise both with and without the puck has been fantastic. His ability to both speed up and slow down the game to suit the current dynamic on the ice has been awesome. He's also shown to be pretty effective at disrupting other teams ability to cycle down low, dispite being a bit smaller by nhl standards. Very happy with Brodie, I hope he can keep up this level of play with consistency going deep into the season and playoffs.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
He's been everything I prayed Barrie would be. Exactly what we needed.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I know the Rielly/Brodie advanced stats haven’t been great, but it’s also only been 11 games. Small sample size, and they’re still getting used to one another. They’re doing a lot right, I really like Brodie’s game, and I think they’ll get more and more effective as a pair the more they play together.

Overall really liking what Brodie brings to the team. Great defensive instincts, great skater, good with the puck, basically everything you could ask for in a partner for Rielly but physicality.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He’s been ok but clearly he’s no Cody Ceci...... :sarcasm:

He wasn’t the RHD I wanted us to get but he has been solid 11 games in.

so far so good, even if he ain’t no Tyson Barrie....... thank God.

Reactions: cipher

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He has come as advertised. I am not sure I would say he has ben our best D-Man all year. I would say Justin Holl has been our best overall defenseman. But yes, I am liking what I am seeing from him. Think he and Reilly still need some seasoning, but it is starting to come for sure. He is clearly more suitable for us than Barrie, and I fully understand why KD targeted him the year prior

Reactions: banks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's really what we've been missing when Gardiner left. I know Gardiner is polarizing around here and made plenty of mistakes, but Brodie brings skating and puck poise from our end to the offensive zone. He understands puck possession and can make plays. He's just better defensively all around, so that helps a lot.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His pair hasn't been great but he fits our style well. Good stick & positional play, strong skater, quick heads up puck moving etc. Just steady play with no aimless pinches that that take him out of position and he makes some nice feints to gain seperation from forecheckers.

If Rielly calms down and stops trying to force offense they should be fine.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good add to our lineup ... he started out slow but his game/speed has picked up ... now we got him, Muzzy, Holl and Bogo that's 4 guys who makes us a much more complete defensive team ... we are making progress ... I can see those 4 guys playing against Habs in playoffs near end of games when things get tough ... I can see Rielly playing a lot less too because we can't have a rover against a good solid playoff team ... first time in a long long time I can remember us be in such strong position

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He's really what we've been missing when Gardiner left. I know Gardiner is polarizing around here and made plenty of mistakes, but Brodie brings skating and puck poise from our end to the offensive zone. He understands puck possession and can make plays. He's just better defensively all around, so that helps a lot.
Gards and Barrie were scared ... Brodie is not ... if u played defense u would know right away ... u can tell when a guy goes into corner if he wants to be first or last ... chicken sh*ts always take long way its in their nature ... they are converted forwards

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Been terrific aside from the one game. He makes important defensive plays every game. Calm and efficient.

Reactions: X66

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Gardiner is a pretty decent comparison. Premium added for playing RHD position.

The one point I must make is he hasn't made Reilly return to his form that he displayed with Hainsey as his partner.
Is that because Reilly isn't as good as he showed back then or Brodie and Reilly aren't quite the perfect fit for Reilly?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Gardiner????

you guys have to be kidding. I wasn't even a Gardiner hater but Brodie is 10x the defensemen Gardiner is, let's be real.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad