Tribute T.J. Brodie Appreciation

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Said it when he signed with the Leafs and I'll say it again; now that Brodie's in the centre of the hockey universe, he'll finally get the accolades he's long deserved. Was always a fantastic and underrated player that was moronicly run out of Calgary because of an idiot coach (Gulutzan) misusing him.

I hope he wins a cup, even if it's in Leafs colours.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
He has been the perfect fit for this team. I never knew he was as solid as he is... very strong in the D zone, excellent outlet passer and can bring some smart decisions to the offensive zone. What more could you ask?
Another Brodie like player. He’s been an absolute gem and the best thing to happen to this team since Matthews/Marner. If we can acquire another D as good if not better than Brodie then we have a shot at becoming a serious contender.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Don't really know what Fred is doing there.
Making a left pad save if TJ didn’t tip it? I mean draw a straight line, pretty simple math. Too funny how people create things when there is plenty of real things to criticize. A nice D effort is bastardized to criticize the goalie on a cross ice play. Okie dokie.

Reactions: leafers

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Making a left pad save if TJ didn’t tip it? I mean draw a straight line, pretty simple math. Too funny how people create things when there is plenty of real things to criticize. A nice D effort is bastardized to criticize the goalie on a cross ice play. Okie dokie.

Left pad save? He doesn't get within a foot and a half of that far post.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Left pad save? He doesn't get within a foot and a half of that far post.
See where the puck was tracking prior to Brodie tip and maybe you might clue in. Or just bash the guy, it’s your world.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Said it when he signed with the Leafs and I'll say it again; now that Brodie's in the centre of the hockey universe, he'll finally get the accolades he's long deserved. Was always a fantastic and underrated player that was moronicly run out of Calgary because of an idiot coach (Gulutzan) misusing him.

I hope he wins a cup, even if it's in Leafs colours.
I think it fair to say he’s been out most steady D man this season. I trust him in every situation and he quietly does the job and makes a ton of small, important plays. What an addition. It’s even more pronounced because we essentially replaced a liability in Barrie with an asset in Brodie. Throw in a Bogo and our D suddenly looks the best in years.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's not a bash. He put himself in no position to make any save.
Last time, get out your ruler, see where that puck was going and you’ll note it probably hits his left pad, which is what he was reacting too. It’s a weird criticism, but moreso just a “tell”.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last time, get out your ruler, see where that puck was going and you’ll note it probably hits his left pad, which is what he was reacting too. It’s a weird criticism, but moreso just a “tell”.

Get out your eyes, watch him push across the net and leave himself in a helpless position with most of the next wide open.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Brodie was excellent last night. He defended/poked the puck away from a Mcdavid rush 3 minutes into the game, small things like that boost the team confidence, sets a great tone. He absorbed a check in the corner in the D zone, got the puck to Marner who ended up scoring 5 seconds later on the rush. He poked that puck ahead on the Spezza goal. He was getting in lanes, supporting his partner. Very impressed re-watching parts of the game. I hope Keefe, looks at a Muzzin, Brodie pairing for empty net situations late in the game. Muzzin and Brodie from just a defensive standpoint I trust more than Reilly.

Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
First time in his career Rielly had played with a legit top pair defense partner

And it shows in the numbers.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Having someone who can defend well in open ice in transition, and also break up the cycle.....*chefs kiss*.

...and then calmly hold and skate the puck out of danger upon retrieving it. Something a rielly partner has never been able to do before.

And I'm pretty sure I've seen only a single one of the bad breakout pass "gaffes" we were warned about with him....and that one came very early on the year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Do you know how you have a stud on defense?

When you dont hear him at all mentioned during a game. His game is so solid its uneventful in our end meaning you dont notice him

Great signing and I am happy that Reilly finally has a partner that can be trusted. It shows in his game.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad