Tribute T.J. Brodie Appreciation

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
He was McDavid and Draisaitl's daddy all series. Completely neutered them offensively and made many brilliant, stand out defensive plays. He's truly something special.
Not gonna lie, I was worried he’d be Barrie 2.0 without the offence but wow, happy to eat crow, he’s an exceptional defender and I honestly cannot remember one bad play or egregious giveaway. He’s almost never out of position, never a bad pinch, and that facedown slide with the stick swinging behind is unbelievably effective.

this guy is super cerebral, just oozes hockey IQ

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Imo the initial tepid responses from some to Brodie are a sign that Eastern based hockey fans don't spend enough time watching Western teams.

Conversely i see some truly bizarre opinions from fans of Western teams of players on Eastern ones too.

Last edited:

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Imo the initial tepid responses from some to Brodie are a sign that Eastern based hickey fans don't spend enough time watching Western teams.

Conversely i see some truly bizarre opinions from fans of Western teams of players on Eastern ones too.
It’s hard enough for me to stay up for a 10p Leaf game, you want me to stay up for a 10pm Crapmonton game??? Shiiiiiieeeett, not happening sir

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
It's hard to believe we have this guy locked up for 4 years. All the talk over the last several years about how we can get our hands on a guy like Slavin or Hamilton, Pesce, etc., and it almost feels like this guy just fell in our lap. Having him, Muzzin and Holl locked in for 3+ years and all playing fantastic gives me a peaceful, easy feeling. Dubas did this right.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Imo the initial tepid responses from some to Brodie are a sign that Eastern based hockey fans don't spend enough time watching Western teams.

I was saying this at the time of the signing. The comparisons to Gardiner were bad. Brodie spent years playing on one of the best pairings in the league against top competition and a few giveaways on the highlight reel had people calling him Gardiner lol. He got invited to team Canada camp for a reason

Reactions: unitedstars87

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Wonder if Brodie’s game can be a road map for what Travis Dermott can become?

2 years ago that was an optimistic projection. Now? Forget it.

Funnily enough, Brodie's possession stats aren't that great but he seems to limit quality scoring chances against even with tough matchups. Meanwhile, Dermott's underwater with easy minutes and just looks like a waste of space.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This guy has gotten better with each passing game. Exactly what we needed TBH. he is so defensively sound. Great signing. My buddy and I were talking about his impact so far being eerily similar to Dan Hamhuis when he signed in VAN during their cup run. 1 addition that essentially solidified our D-corps, and has allowed everyone on our D-Corps to play the role they should have been playing all along. Love what he brings to the table

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He’s been our best defender by far.
First time I’d say moving Rielly for assets makes sense, since we can’t really afford his increase during a flat cap.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Brodie and the emergence of Holl just fixed this team's multi-decadal problem with D without us even realising it.

Leafs have never had problems scoring (even when they were bad), but we're the 7th best team in GAA. And that's on terrible goaltending. 6th lowest shots against per game.

This is it, guys. This is the team. With Jack in net, of course.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
He's like if Tomas Kaberle traded his offensive instincts for defensive instincts (though Kabs was still a very good defenseman). Very unassuming, average size, not physical, but just so positionally sound and he always has his head up with an active stick.

He has great chemistry with Rielly too, since Brodie loves breaking up odd man rushes and Rielly loves allowing them to happen

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The guy has an amazing stick, how many times has he been one on one in a high danger spot and just poked the puck away like no big deal... the guy is fundamentally our best defender in 40 years..

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
There was a moment where I noticed he played a 2 on 1 not perfectly last game against the Jets. Then it hit me that we're almost at the deadline and that's the first time I've noticed him play a 2 on 1 anything but picture perfect while having to cover for Rielly's awful pinches. He's so consistent that the occasional slightly bad play will stick out like a sore thumb.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's like if Tomas Kaberle traded his offensive instincts for defensive instincts (though Kabs was still a very good defenseman). Very unassuming, average size, not physical, but just so positionally sound and he always has his head up with an active stick.

He has great chemistry with Rielly too, since Brodie loves breaking up odd man rushes and Rielly loves allowing them to happen

QFT

:laugh:

Reactions: Primary Assist

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There was a moment where I noticed he played a 2 on 1 not perfectly last game against the Jets. Then it hit me that we're almost at the deadline and that's the first time I've noticed him play a 2 on 1 anything but picture perfect while having to cover for Rielly's awful pinches.

Funny when Brodie had an awful pinch last game rielly got the blame.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Funny when Brodie had an awful pinch last game rielly got the blame.

Brodie had a really rough game in the early going vs Winnipeg on Friday night. There were a couple of WTF plays like when he missed a pass at the point and he lazily reached for it but kept rolling back before it became a Rielly problem, then he did a lazy reverse to Rielly who was battling Schiefele on the other side of the rink. Good thing these breakdowns are not very common.

Reactions: zeke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad