Tribute T.J. Brodie Appreciation

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Easily our best defender every single game.
It’s not even close. The guy just simply doesn’t make mistakes (not literally but pretty much) or is out of position. I couldn’t care any less that Barrie will net 50 pts/yr, give me the exceptional IQ and defensive ability over a one way point man every day and twice on Sundays

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It’s not even close. The guy just simply doesn’t make mistakes (not literally but pretty much) or is out of position. I couldn’t care any less than Barrie will net 50 pts/yr, give me the exceptional IQ and defensive ability over a one way point man every day and twice on Sundays
You know how well he’s played, that when he makes a mistake, you’re surprised. Guy is our most reliable D man, couldn’t be happier Dubas brought him in, with he and Bogo adds, our D is a revelation this year.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Not trying to derail the thread but what is it that others see with Dermott? I just don't get it. We have other D prospects in the system who project to have a greater impact as a #6D on this team moving forward. Especially if paired with Bogo who quite frankly has carried Dermott's bag all season.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
As a Flames fan, I miss having TJ Brodie so bloody much.

His game, barring major leg injuries, will age like wine.

Honestly, not sure why any sane GM would want to trade a player like TJ. Ever. He's a cornerstone piece that are very rare. Leafs have been searching for a player like him for like 25 years. Kadri would have been a fair trade but Kadri is far easier to replace than Brodie.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
His stick work and defensive positioning reminds me of Nick Lidstrom. He just doesn't have the world class offensive skills.

Reactions: Tlo1

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Honestly, not sure why any sane GM would want to trade a player like TJ. Ever. He's a cornerstone piece that are very rare. Leafs have been searching for a player like him for like 25 years. Kadri would have been a fair trade but Kadri is far easier to replace than Brodie.

I recall in the summer when we first signed him, that some media were comparing him to a right D Jake Gardiner. He literally is nothing like Jake was(and I say this as a fan of Jake's)

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's amazing. So happy with him. Everyone has a bad game here or there but even in his bad ones he makes good plays.

A big area I'm paying attention to over next few years is how we address Defense and dcore.

Brodie is a huge piece for this team going forward. It'll be interesting to see what we can bring from outside to mix in with our Sandin's and Liljegren's.

Our offense is pretty much set apart from a few specific pieces. Not too worried about that.

I have been very happy with team defense this year.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He is solid and plays with a focus on minimizing errors. Quiet and controlled with an athletic ability to get his stick where it needs to be to stymie opposition chances.

If Dubas picks up a depth D Man, he has to maintain the philosophy that has allowed this defense to be a top three league D core. I truly believe they have another gear come postseason and a seventh stellar D Man is almost preferable to a forward. More preferable to any one way forward in my estimation.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
He's amazing. So happy with him. Everyone has a bad game here or there but even in his bad ones he makes good plays.

A big area I'm paying attention to over next few years is how we address Defense and dcore.

Brodie is a huge piece for this team going forward. It'll be interesting to see what we can bring from outside to mix in with our Sandin's and Liljegren's.

Our offense is pretty much set apart from a few specific pieces. Not too worried about that.

I have been very happy with team defense this year.

I'm really hoping Bogo is willing to come back under a similar contract for next year. He's absolutely a perfect 3rd pairing Dman. I haven't a single complaint for him, in that role. His vet presence is also a great asset to have on board should the organization give the nod to Sandin next year.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I recall in the summer when we first signed him, that some media were comparing him to a right D Jake Gardiner. He literally is nothing like Jake was(and I say this as a fan of Jake's)
Media? Couldn't have been media anyone with any credibility in the industry, Gardiner and Brodie are in no way similar.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gardiner????

you guys have to be kidding. I wasn't even a Gardiner hater but Brodie is 10x the defensemen Gardiner is, let's be real.
Gards was chicken sh*ts going into board battles ... Brodie is a man's man .. not even remotely close ... Rielly can do it but unfortunately he is weak and is almost always on his *ss on boards when gets hit ... he needs a Brodie to get pucks and Brodie takes da punishment and gets them ... as they play more together Brodie is learning Reilly's weaknesses and strengths and you can see he is helping Rielly play to his strengths ... da more I watch Brodie da more i really like him ... but likely Brodie will get hurt playing this game for Rielly ... we need 1 more dman Dubie and another one of da right kind

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I told you guys.

And it’s obvious Gio misses him.
I think we all had our reservations before the season started. He's been enormous to solidifying our D. Can't believe how good he is all over the ice. He's not just a defensive guy like Bogosian. He can play in all situations, move the puck with the best of them and still be elite defensively.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think we all had our reservations before the season started. He's been enormous to solidifying our D. Can't believe how good he is all over the ice. He's not just a defensive guy like Bogosian. He can play in all situations, move the puck with the best of them and still be elite defensively.
And his skating ability should allow you to have a player with longevity with the organization.

Reactions: smitty10

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
TJ Brodie is our best Dman. The Reilly love is insane and not accurate. Brodie is thinking for his d partner and making him look good. Brodie's decisions are excellent and a precise stick defending the rush. Brodie could run the PP1 better than Reilly. Reilly is held back by lack of confidence and with that hesitates to make a decision. Reilly has an easy job on the PP1 but has no idea how to threaten a shot from the point to open up Marner and Matthews on the half wall.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Best signing this team has made in years... I can't even remember a better one without research.

This guy is quickly becoming one of my favourite players on this roster. So smart. So effective. Fckn love it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->