Tribute T.J. Brodie Appreciation

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He deserved one for a long time and finally got it. Probably the most T.J. Brodie type goal as well:laugh:
I have always liked him seeing Flames games. Good skater and just makes smart choices. One of the better additions Dubas has made

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It was nice to see him finally get his first goal as a Leaf. He was our best acquisition in the off season.

Reactions: banks

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
His stick work and defensive positioning reminds me of Nick Lidstrom. He just doesn't have the world class offensive skills.

I’ve said for years that if TJ Brodie could shoot the puck through a wet paper bag, he’d be a $9M player.

Calgary’s offense has had an impossible time breaking out without him, and everyone looks worse.

Go get that mug, 78.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
TJ Brodie is our best Dman. The Reilly love is insane and not accurate. Brodie is thinking for his d partner and making him look good. Brodie's decisions are excellent and a precise stick defending the rush. Brodie could run the PP1 better than Reilly. Reilly is held back by lack of confidence and with that hesitates to make a decision. Reilly has an easy job on the PP1 but has no idea how to threaten a shot from the point to open up Marner and Matthews on the half wall.

If you make Brodie run your PP1, you won’t like him as much, it’s not what he’s good at. He’s no threat to shoot, so he just ends up skating around the top of the zone before dishing off.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It was nice to see him finally get his first goal as a Leaf. He was our best acquisition in the off season.
not sure about you, but when we signed him I had that "well I guess Pietrangelo was a pipe dream" let down then did a small amount of research on Brodie and was like "this guy was the obvious target for us all along, the best available fit in years of free agency".

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
When Brodie left Calgary, many fans said "now we'll see what Brodie is without Giordano" . I turned that around and asked the opposite question, given Gio wasn't one of those yearly Norris favorites and only bumped up when paired with Brodie.

Seems like Brodie complements players very well.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Love me some Brodie.
upload_2022-1-2_2-37-18.jpeg
upload_2022-1-2_2-37-18.jpeg

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The guy is exactly the top pairing steady-Eddy that we've been needing for years. The two on one whisperer, a rock solid #2 who's clean in his own zone.

He and Muzzin are basically our own version of Spurgeon/Brodin. Different players of course, but a pair of #2's who give our defense the backbone that it so desperately needed. What a brilliant signing Brodie has been.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Every time Brodie is defending a 2 on 1 I always think "here comes the snow angel" It reminds me so much of laying in the snow and flailing my arms and legs as a kid.
I've watched over 30 years of hockey, and I do not remember a player doing this so consistently on 2 on 1's with this level of success. Just a great positional awareness and timing skill.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Every time Brodie is defending a 2 on 1 I always think "here comes the snow angel" It reminds me so much of laying in the snow and flailing my arms and legs as a kid.
I've watched over 30 years of hockey, and I do not remember a player doing this so consistently on 2 on 1's with this level of success. Just a great positional awareness and timing skill.

I agree. I never panic when he's back there on a 2 on 1. He's been a good mentor for Dermott on that too. You can see Dermott playing them the same way. Hopefully he can become the next Brodie.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

He looks to cover 20 feet of ice when he snow angels out there.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Brodie is crazy good. The ultimate #2 defenseman. I still can't believe Calgary let him walk.

calgary is doing just fine with out him, they had so many young D that are now in their lineup and killing it. Plus they had to resign Matthew, so i think it’s def worked out for both sides. I’m happy they did!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The guy is exactly the top pairing steady-Eddy that we've been needing for years. The two on one whisperer, a rock solid #2 who's clean in his own zone.

He and Muzzin are basically our own version of Spurgeon/Brodin. Different players of course, but a pair of #2's who give our defense the backbone that it so desperately needed. What a brilliant signing Brodie has been.

For sure. It's hard to overstate what an amazing signing this was. It's so rare to sign an UFA and get this much bang for your buck. Amazing player and like you said, he's a perfect fit for Rielly which is what we've been looking for for so long.

Love Brodie!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->