Management Sweeney: "Were Looking To Make Changes" IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
So sounds like we can piece together some info and know this for sure:

1. Boston and Arizona were in talks for weeks about OEL.
2. Boston was the only team OEL would waive to.
3. Boston made an offer.
4. After that offer, the Arizona management went back to OEL and asked for more teams.
5. OEL added Vancouver.
6. Vancouver began talks that took place over weeks.
7. Vancouver made an offer.
8. Arizona now has two confirmed offers for OEL.
9. All parties start leaking information to see which of the three parties budges first and ups their offer or takes the offer.
10. We speculate.

This sound about right?

Seems to be how it is playing out.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Seems to be how it is playing out.

Same. No pieces confirmed but now all three parties are going to leak parts of the request, their offer and the other teams offer to try and make one of the three GM's blink. We are now deep into 9-10 as they use the media to try and bring this all to a finale.

Reactions: EvilDead

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'm not buying the VAN OEL stuff.
OEL and his 8.25 hit slotted behind Hughes for the next 7 years??????
uh huh...mmmkay.

I actually asked Sekeras this and he immediately asked Dhaliwal who said that OEL was indeed interested in Vancouver. My thought was that OEL wanted Boston and when he was asked for a second team he gave them a team with zero cap space and a rookie LHD who is their franchise D locked up for a decade; basically gave them an impossible second option. An agent move.

Dhaliwal refuted that and said OEL really does like Vancouver as a destination (Sweden connection) and would love to come to Vancouver.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I actually asked Sekeras this and he immediately asked Dhaliwal who said that OEL was indeed interested in Vancouver. My thought was that OEL wanted Boston and when he was asked for a second team he gave them a team with zero cap space and a rookie LHD who is their franchise D locked up for a decade; basically gave them an impossible second option. An agent move.

Dhaliwal refuted that and said OEL really does like Vancouver as a destination (Sweden connection) and would love to come to Vancouver.
Very strange. Even if OEL has friendship connections or something to VAN, why would he use ANY leverage that he has to get out of Arizona and decide to suggest VAN, where he'll be 2LD behind Hughes. Also, wtf is VAN thinking....

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Very strange. Even if OEL has friendship connections or something to VAN, why would he use ANY leverage that he has to get out of Arizona and decide to suggest VAN, where he'll be 2LD behind Hughes. Also, wtf is VAN thinking....

Their argument was simple; Pettersson is appealing to play with. I'm more along the lines of this is OEL's agent giving two teams, with one of them having little hope of making the trade happen.

It's like Bergeron waiving for two teams; LA and Montreal. Where is Boston going to move him? (This isn't happening of course but you see this often where a GM can't make a move with the other team possibly happen so they have to negotiate with one team even though the player technically gave two teams).

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

IMO, because they had a good playoffs, they think are further ahead then they really are.

It just doesnt feel like a good fit there...even if he goes there I see them as a bubble team

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Their argument was simple; Pettersson is appealing to play with. I'm more along the lines of this is OEL's agent giving two teams, with one of them having little hope of making the trade happen.

It's like Bergeron waiving for two teams; LA and Montreal. Where is Boston going to move him? (This isn't happening of course but you see this often where a GM can't make a move with the other team possibly happen so they have to negotiate with one team even though the player technically gave two teams).

If I'm Arizona, VAN pays a huge premium over BOS.
and NO way would I take that Eriksson contract.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
Are the Coyotes interested in clearing cap or clearing dollars? That might make a difference with where that Eriksson contract could fit if I understand what’s left of it.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Are the Coyotes interested in clearing cap or clearing dollars? That might make a difference with where that Eriksson contract could fit if I understand what’s left of it.
Both.
If you're looking at REAL dollars, then yes those 10m vs 4m cash payments look tasty for ARI.
Term and depth for VAN thoooo...

Last edited:

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd take loui contract for a 1st round pick . Why ? Well first we need our pick back plus I bet loui playing with DK he will have a banner year and pop 20

He has lost his hands. Like everyone here in Vancouver likes to say, 'Eriksson signed in Vancouver and left his hands on the airplane to Vancouver.'

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He doesn't play 6 '5" and never will only for a couple games after Neely says he needs to be more physical. It doesn't matter in the least how big he is.

Don't worry about the insult.:)

He doesn't need to smash people to be effective. Take away time and space with his stick and reach close his gaps, be hard on the puck when it's along the walls. That's Carlo's game and he does it very well. He had an excellent regular season but was poor in the playoffs for reasons XYZ. It happens.

You know who's taller, thicker, heavier, hits LESS frequently, and is considered one of the best defensive dmen in the game? Colton Parayko. They both play a very similar style of D, where they use their size and reach to smother the play, rather than going thru players to get the puck.

Look around the league this past decade. Good, right handed dmen are at premium around the league. 20 plus teams want a good RH dman and there's maybe 5 teams in the league that are fortunate enough to have two. McAvoy and Carlo should be cornerstones of this defense moving forward ( unless the plan is to sign AP, which would be an upgrade over Carlo and make him expendable ).

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So sounds like we can piece together some info and know this for sure:

1. Boston and Arizona were in talks for weeks about OEL.
2. Boston was the only team OEL would waive to.
3. Boston made an offer.
4. After that offer, the Arizona management went back to OEL and asked for more teams.
5. OEL added Vancouver.
6. Vancouver began talks that took place over weeks.
7. Vancouver made an offer.
8. Arizona now has two confirmed offers for OEL.
9. All parties start leaking information to see which of the three parties budges first and ups their offer or takes the offer.
10. We speculate.

This sound about right?
Why do I get the feeling that this is Luke Schenn 2.0?
Where's there's smoke, there's Don Sweeney and his water bucket to put it out. "Costs were to high" or "full moon" or Mercury was in retrograde and I love our bottom tier prospects too much to give up on them." I see it all now, disappointment du jour.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
Friedman is really throwing everything out there, hard to take all he says anymore. Rask for Andersen, lol Leafs and Bruins swapping goalies

Would a Rask-for-Andersen trade between Maple Leafs and Bruins make sense? - Sportsnet.ca

fwiw many media guys have at some point in the last few weeks said this is the most wild offseason. Heck Dom said the same thing today. At this point I'm inclined to believe GMs are actually engaging in some wild trade talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad