Prospect Info: Swedish Prospects 2021-22 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Seeing Albin Grewe first time playing in Finland.

Legendary Tampere Cup going and local rivals Ilves vs. Tappara. 0-0 after 20min, fast and physical pre-season hockey.

He is quite fast and agitating. More surprised of that skating. Had one breakaway already.

Skating was never the issue with Grewe. Neither were his hands, to be honest. The guy could be one of the more talented bottom 6 guys if only he had a brain and some discipline.

What the hell is he doing by going to Finland to play on the 4th line for Ilves instead of playing 2nd or 3rd line in Grand Rapids?

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Skating was never the issue with Grewe. Neither were his hands, to be honest. The guy could be one of the more talented bottom 6 guys if only he had a brain and some discipline.

What the hell is he doing by going to Finland to play on the 4th line for Ilves instead of playing 2nd or 3rd line in Grand Rapids?

I went on a tangent the other day about Russian players staying in the KHL and the potential trades offs between coming stateside to play in the NHL. This friend I was sitting with told me to shut up and astutely pointed out I had passed a recent opportunity for the sake of my family, comfort, familiarity, etc to effectively operate in a less "prestigious" market. He said that's the same thing. It was a good reminder.

We automatically assume our perspective is the same and that the NHL is the best, the most money, etc. etc. who wouldn't want to come here and play (ignoring the whole AHL thing). For some players, the jump might not be worth it and they are just generally happier being in a situation where they are closer to their own language, culture, comfort, family, etc. when offered the outside chance of riding the bus between Grand Rapids and Columbus to play in front of 200 people with the off-chance they could work themselves up to playing 10 minutes on the 4th line of the Red Wings, who are competing for Bottom 10.

I don't know the specifics of Grewe's situation but I get it when a player passes up the jump. It's not for everyone. Any more that offering one of you the opportunity to go work in manufacturing and logistics in Guangzhao, China for 20% more salary than Metro Detroit and the chance of being promoted to a position higher. Doesn't seem as glamorous

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I distinctly remember watching his draft tape and thinking everything he demonstrated was well beyond his draft spot. I didn't quite understand how he didn't have more hype.

But you may have identified the core issue. And those are issues that I wouldn't see on a edited draft tape.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I distinctly remember watching his draft tape and thinking everything he demonstrated was well beyond his draft spot. I didn't quite understand how he didn't have more hype.

But you may have identified the core issue. And those are issues that I wouldn't see on a edited draft tape.

Wasn't the original comments about this kid kind of veiled like "he's all spit and sharp knives" or "every time he touches the ice, everything gets way more physical" - I feel like I remember an anecdote about him that at practice he always took it too far and it resulted in fights and stuff?

Might be he's a huge asshole, like Swedish Sean Avery with a pinch of cheap shot. That could be an issue that's preventing him from going anywhere or being seriously considered. haha

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wasn't the original comments about this kid kind of veiled like "he's all spit and sharp knives" or "every time he touches the ice, everything gets way more physical" - I feel like I remember an anecdote about him that at practice he always took it too far and it resulted in fights and stuff?

Might be he's a huge asshole, like Swedish Sean Avery with a pinch of cheap shot. That could be an issue that's preventing him from going anywhere or being seriously considered. haha

That could very well be the case. People forget Avery was a skilled player, despite all his antics. But not so skilled the antics would be ignored if he crossed the line.

Perhaps that's where Grewe finds himself.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

When I saw him in Djurgarden this past season I came away impressed by some of the scoring chances he got in limited icetime. But then a shift or two later you'd see him just kind of hovering and looking for guys to take a run at instead of being involved in the defense to clear the zone or in on the forecheck to cause a turnover. Then he'd take a dumb shit stick penalty out of nowhere.

I went on a tangent the other day about Russian players staying in the KHL and the potential trades offs between coming stateside to play in the NHL. This friend I was sitting with told me to shut up and astutely pointed out I had passed a recent opportunity for the sake of my family, comfort, familiarity, etc to effectively operate in a less "prestigious" market. He said that's the same thing. It was a good reminder.

We automatically assume our perspective is the same and that the NHL is the best, the most money, etc. etc. who wouldn't want to come here and play (ignoring the whole AHL thing). For some players, the jump might not be worth it and they are just generally happier being in a situation where they are closer to their own language, culture, comfort, family, etc. when offered the outside chance of riding the bus between Grand Rapids and Columbus to play in front of 200 people with the off-chance they could work themselves up to playing 10 minutes on the 4th line of the Red Wings, who are competing for Bottom 10.

I don't know the specifics of Grewe's situation but I get it when a player passes up the jump. It's not for everyone. Any more that offering one of you the opportunity to go work in manufacturing and logistics in Guangzhao, China for 20% more salary than Metro Detroit and the chance of being promoted to a position higher. Doesn't seem as glamorous

I can understand the favorable schedule (50 something games compared to 70 something games played with easier travel schedules) and the cultural differences of playing in western michigan and mostly midwestern states versus Finland, which is closer to his family. And I'm fairly certain that Finland pays better than the AHL, so I can understand that as a young guy. Making 100k euros sure as shit beats making 70k USD. But if your goal is the NHL it seems strange that he jumped from the SHL (2nd to 4th best pro league) to the AHL (2nd to 4th best pro league) to Finland (5th to 7th best pro league).

Reactions: Bench

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

He was playing at 3rd line. And Ilves will be Top4 team.

Disappeared after 1st period.

Seems to be that he has more will than condition.

Long way to go.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
When I saw him in Djurgarden this past season I came away impressed by some of the scoring chances he got in limited icetime. But then a shift or two later you'd see him just kind of hovering and looking for guys to take a run at instead of being involved in the defense to clear the zone or in on the forecheck to cause a turnover. Then he'd take a dumb shit stick penalty out of nowhere.

I can understand the favorable schedule (50 something games compared to 70 something games played with easier travel schedules) and the cultural differences of playing in western michigan and mostly midwestern states versus Finland, which is closer to his family. And I'm fairly certain that Finland pays better than the AHL, so I can understand that as a young guy. Making 100k euros sure as shit beats making 70k USD. But if your goal is the NHL it seems strange that he jumped from the SHL (2nd to 4th best pro league) to the AHL (2nd to 4th best pro league) to Finland (5th to 7th best pro league).
Taking dumb stick penalties must not have been to very common for him considering he only had 29 PIMs

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Taking dumb stick penalties must not have been to very common for him considering he only had 29 PIMs

It wasn't every shift, but when he did take penalties it wasn't the kind you take to stop a scoring chance. Offensive and neutral zone penalties are almost always bad penalties.

Christien

May 1, 2010
An NHL scout's quote from an EPRinkside article found here:
"I think Raymond and Holtz will impact in the NHL this year. Holtz because he's so physically strong and can shoot. Raymond because he's so skilled and creative offensively. I think Raymond is going to be a star."

Reactions: golffuul

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
So tomorrow "Strömstad Classic" starts, it's a short pre-season tournament that consists of Frölunda, Färjestad and Leksand and it's the 6th year in a row that it's being held.
The Färjestads camp have had two really heavy pre-season weeks with focus on high tempo and competition drills where Albert stood out and got himself in a shouting match with the #1 RW in the teams, Lindqvist since he throught Albert went a little rough on him
Three players are unavailable when Färjestad and Frölunda meets on thursday. Pontus Widerström is out with undisclosed minor injury, Jens Westin is still rehabbing his knee and Joel Nyström has signs of cold/flu and needs to go through the protocoll.

So, either Albert slides into the #2 pair with Wikstrand or he stays with Ginning and a J20 player called Anton Berglund probably will be the call-up.. Him or Filip Maniscalchi is my bet, the later Frölunda as his youth team so perhaps that might be a fun test.

This tournament is also streamed by the Swedish everningsnews paper Expressen but not sure if it's awailable for non swedish users but have asked the paper.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Skating absolutely is an issue with Grewe.

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021
So tomorrow "Strömstad Classic" starts, it's a short pre-season tournament that consists of Frölunda, Färjestad and Leksand and it's the 6th year in a row that it's being held.
The Färjestads camp have had two really heavy pre-season weeks with focus on high tempo and competition drills where Albert stood out and got himself in a shouting match with the #1 RW in the teams, Lindqvist since he throught Albert went a little rough on him
Three players are unavailable when Färjestad and Frölunda meets on thursday. Pontus Widerström is out with undisclosed minor injury, Jens Westin is still rehabbing his knee and Joel Nyström has signs of cold/flu and needs to go through the protocoll.

So, either Albert slides into the #2 pair with Wikstrand or he stays with Ginning and a J20 player called Anton Berglund probably will be the call-up.. Him or Filip Maniscalchi is my bet, the later Frölunda as his youth team so perhaps that might be a fun test.

This tournament is also streamed by the Swedish everningsnews paper Expressen but not sure if it's awailable for non swedish users but have asked the paper.

Really appreciate all the AJ updates :)

Loved his play and progress last season.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan

Any update on this? Did any of our kids play today?

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Thanks, the post was from yesterday and said "tomorrow" so using my skills of deduction I thought it was today.
My bad, I mixed up the days. It starts today with Frölunda vs Leksand and then tomorrow thursday, Färjestad vs Frölunda.
Just started a new job and had a brainfart :D

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

This is pretty awesome. I wish the NHL would incorporate mini tournaments to their preseason.

Reactions: lilidk

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wallinder playing with Rögles J20 team now instead of the big team. Highlights how much of a project he still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad