Prospect Info: Swedish Prospects 2021-22 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
You probably mixed him with Johansson, who did play at WJC. He also got some critics.
Or Gustav Berglund. I guess I can’t keep track of these prospects because I don’t think I actually watched Wallinder at all. My opinion was apparently baseless :laugh:

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
He didn’t? Am I going crazy? I saw him play somewhere, let me try and remember where
He had a rough season last year in 2nd tier league and had a bit of a rough summer showcase. Thats probably why you pictured some national team play issues. But really most of team sweden had a rough summer showcase.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
He had a rough season last year in 2nd tier league and had a bit of a rough summer showcase. Thats probably why you pictured some national team play issues. But really most of team sweden had a rough summer showcase.
Yeah for sure, Wallinder would've been on the World Junior team 100%. He was one of several players to test positive for Covid right before Sweden left for North America.
Following Positive COVID-19 Test, Red Wings Prospect William Wallinder Ruled Out of WJC Tournament

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

friday-ice-cube.gif

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Niederbach only played one shift yesterday, didn't return after hitting his head on the ice. No update on the injury or how long he will be gone.

And the skill is there, among the best hockey IQ on the team.

Reactions: Henkka
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Wallinder has really changed course since last year. That's awesome to see. Most of us were getting a little down on the pick, I think.

But now we can remind ourselves that Wallinder has elite level tools, especially his skating, for which he has that Broberg level elite straight line speed.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Niederbach removed from the U20 tournament next weekend. Edvinsson is still on the roster but he hasn't returned to play with Frölunda yet...

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I definitely thought Wallinder was a bust after the WJC last year. Maybe it was because I didn’t think he looked very good at the WJC. Or maybe I naively thought that statistically one of these Swedish kids was going to have to bust and I didn’t think it was gonna be Raymond/Neiderbach/Soderblom. But maybe they all can pan out

Maybe you shouldn’t be trying to label 19 year olds as busts.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wallinder has really changed course since last year. That's awesome to see. Most of us were getting a little down on the pick, I think.

But now we can remind ourselves that Wallinder has elite level tools, especially his skating, for which he has that Broberg level elite straight line speed.

With + agility.
Also he doesn’t doodoo in his britches when there’s a forechecker within 30 feet.
(More like Philip Bustberg, amirite?!)

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Tage Thompson wishes he could be Soderblom when he grows up. Elmer has way better hands.
I think their hands are pretty close. Elmer is already stronger. But Tage has looked super-impressive this year when I've watched him. Looking at him at 24 might be like looking at Elmer in 2024 in a crystal ball...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It’s like people didn’t know wallinder was a project when we drafted him, these guys take time, what’s with all this I gave up on him talk?

Don't understand wither. Maybe that going to HOckeyAllsvenskan is "giving up" move, when others were developing at SHL.

It's still also a mens league and very good place to develop.

He obvisouly needed that extra year there, and now is playing at SHL Rögle - as 19-year-old (!) - year younger than Seider was ! :eek::thumbu:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just to remind people:

Seider currently, born April 2001 = 20.5 years old (played last year at Rögle)
Wallinder currently, born July 2002 = 19.3 year old (plays this year for Rögle)

Of course Wallinder is nothing like 1st pair Seider there at last season, more of 3rd pair, but he has scored really well, 8 points in 16 games.

Wallinder is really young and compared to future Norris Trophy Winner - straight from gate NHL 1st pair guy. That's anyways unfair comparison. He doesn't need to match that, just develop on his own way and pace.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Do you actually see him playing this season?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That's one good point. But it really comes also Edvinsson on my mind how good skater he is.

What Finnish VIASAT studio talked yesterday, was about defencemen abilities for the future NHL. They talked how skating backwards will be key attribute, to defence against forwards who are skating fast against you. When you can handle them with your skating, you can also break effectively their plays because you have extra time on 1-on-1 situation.

And another, sceond important or as important thing is the defensive zone 1st pass under pressure (forecheking forward coming against you).

Think Red Wings have drafted exactly this kind of guys in last 3 years. Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johansson, Sebrango, Viro and Buium etc.. All are from same mold.

They can skate (backwards) + they can pass. Most important skills for a D. If somebody has a good shot, that's only a bonus. Nothing like needed, just an intangible.

Reactions: David D
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad