Prospect Info: Swedish Prospects 2021-22 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
So Wallinder didn't play in that game vs Edvinsson?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So Wallinder didn't play in that game vs Edvinsson?
Yes but he was 7th D so he had minimal icetime. Don't have exact stats but can't have been more than 4-5 minutes.
Thought he had one good rush up the ice with the puck and otherwise wasn't noticeable - good or bad.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Edvinsson major flaws are his questionable decision making and his stick handling. He needs to work on this to develop upon his offensive skill.

Stick handling might be the second most impressive tool he has next to his skating ability. When calling out his flaws, people keep adding in these things that just don't make any sense.

"He's so boom and bust if his offense doesn't translate" -- actually he's a pretty talented defender for his age and league
"We drafted a defensive defenseman at 6th overall" -- he's phenomenal in transition and has the ability to break open play with his skating and puck skills
"His weaknesses are decision making and stick handling" -- there are multiple clips of him toe dragging and dangling defenders inside out at the blueline

And so on, and so on...

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Phillip Broberg had those major flaws, which is why he was ranked #15 in McKenzie's final ranking.... as opposed to Edvinsson who was ranked #3.
I think Edvinsson's stick handling is fine, however his decision making on when to stick handle is a reason why it can be seen as an issue imo.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think Edvinsson's stick handling is fine, however his decision making on when to stick handle is a reason why it can be seen as an issue imo.

I think there is some substance to the decision making questions, but not because he's not smart enough. I think he's really yet to be able to get situated and comfortable in a league and learn the tendencies and abilities of the players he is playing with.

There's been a few plays I've seen where he tries to lead his forward with a pass out of the zone that ends up being out of reach and ends up a turnover. Is that a bad decision by Edvinsson, or was his teammate flat footed not expecting it, or did he try to execute that pass to Mursak instead of Raymond and the result is that Mursak just can't skate well enough to catch up.

We often talked about how watching Datsyuk and Zetterberg play together was so synchronized and beautiful. Same with the Sedin twins in Vancouver. It just goes to show you how much chemistry is needed to have that kind of connection with your teammate to be able to pull things off at a high level.

I know that if I zig, you will zag and if I make a pass to put the puck here you will be there to receive it. If Edvinsson starts to dumb it down and passes the puck to where his teammates currently are, we are going to be bitching for over a decade that he can't execute a breakout pass and constantly throws grenades into the feet of his forwards. This season will be fun to follow him if he sticks and plays a chunk of ice time that is meaningful on a nightly basis, because I suspect those mistakes that everyone tries to highlight will slowly be reeled in.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I really think some of you guys need to understand that the players you are talking about are playing their first or perhaps second year against senior players in professional teams that has set ways of how they want to play hockey and how that might translate into NHL hockey, well.. That's what the draft is for, trying to figure out what they might develop into.
It's really rare that a young player (especially D) that comes along and get top minutes, have all the skills on this level worked out or even sees any special team minutes. Players that have seen that has almost always been able to transition to NHL in a good way like Hedman, Karlsson, Dahlin, Brodin and Klefbom. Those are players that got the same attention in their teams as Edvinsson and Johansson is getting for example.

.. and there is Seider. I've never seen such a good player at that age in SHL.. The only thing that was able to shake him was the media pressure and refereeing level in the play offs.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Stick handling might be the second most impressive tool he has next to his skating ability. When calling out his flaws, people keep adding in these things that just don't make any sense.

"He's so boom and bust if his offense doesn't translate" -- actually he's a pretty talented defender for his age and league
"We drafted a defensive defenseman at 6th overall" -- he's phenomenal in transition and has the ability to break open play with his skating and puck skills
"His weaknesses are decision making and stick handling" -- there are multiple clips of him toe dragging and dangling defenders inside out at the blueline

And so on, and so on...
Being a top pair d-man at 18 on Frolunda is nothing to sneeze at. Not sure why people aren't amazingly excited for Edvinsson.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
It’s a bummer than Albert’s partner for just about all of last year left for the DEL
I don't agree. Blum was horrid most of the time last year. When he was benched he went to media and cried about how mean everyone was without taking any responsibility for himself.
Ginning was besides Johansson the one who made the biggest improvment last season on the team and since he is a big more defensive minded player, he fits with Albert better than Blum ever did.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Unless I'm reading it wrong..Johansson is on the 3rd pairing in a watered down preseason game? Doesn't bode well for his ice time this year.

he averaged 17.5 minutes/game in the regular season and 23 minutes/game in the Playoffs for the same team last year though

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Edvinsson major flaws are his questionable decision making and his stick handling. He needs to work on this to develop upon his offensive skill.
If people want to criticize his passing or shooting, I have time for that. His shot is weak and he forces passes trying to create offense. If you're criticizing his stickhandling, you're out to lunch. The kid has great hands. His ability to carry the puck through traffic is high end. Great puck control, very stable, beats the triangle, toe-drags, in-and-outs, outspaces guys with his stickhandling consistently well. Along with his size and speed, he's really hard to seperate from the puck and great at making space for himself.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

When I’ve seen Edvinsson his stick handling was really good. My big gripe was passing accuracy and passing decisions in the offensive zone. His defensive decision making was alright, but I did notice a couple risky plays yesterday that I think can be coached out of his game. (IE, overhandling the puck close to your own net.)

Once he gets in the reps and Kronwall starts doing his thing by working with Edvinsson I think some of these things get cleaned up.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I think we need to give him time in the SHL, understanding the systems and the speed, before we can really analyze his decision making. I agree it needs some work, but that seems like the sort of thing that can get sorted out as he gets some experience. The natural talent is clearly there.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Unless I'm reading it wrong..Johansson is on the 3rd pairing in a watered down preseason game? Doesn't bode well for his ice time this year.
Oh? He has a PP spot to lose and a clear plan from management to play three D about 20 min/game. Those three are Virtanen, Wikstrand and Johansson. Wikstrand will start the season with Joel Nyström, a SHL rookie who did really well in the play offs last year.
When Joel needs to rest and when the bench is used at the end of the games, Albert will slot into Joels spot with Wikstrand.

But again, it's his spot and icetime to lose. He will not get anything for free just because he is on loan.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If people want to criticize his passing or shooting, I have time for that. His shot is weak and he forces passes trying to create offense. If you're criticizing his stickhandling, you're out to lunch. The kid has great hands. His ability to carry the puck through traffic is high end. Great puck control, very stable, beats the triangle, toe-drags, in-and-outs, outspaces guys with his stickhandling consistently well. Along with his size and speed, he's really hard to seperate from the puck and great at making space for himself.

I could not agree more with this. I think he moves very well with the puck in part because he is very coordinated but also because he does have soft hands as you point out. I thought he transported the puck very well in those highlights notwithstanding the two turnovers. His issue is passing the puck both in terms of making faster reads and in execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad