Prospect Info: Swedish Prospects 2021-22 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I figured it would take him a few games to get acclimated to the NA ice and the physicality of the AHL. I’m also glad to see him continue to grow.

I didn't doubt that there would be an adjustment period because his game is predicated on drawing opponents to him before escaping and exploiting the gap in coverage to make a play. I felt that it would only be a short period before his timing adjusted to the different ice size.

I'm hoping he gets his call up soon. I'd love to see him and Veleno on that 2nd line with Erne doing the dirty work. It'd be like a discount version of Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Still no Edvinsson

No Edvinsson again makes me wonder if his "cold" is from a concussion. Brain injuries like concussions and post-concussion synrome can sometimes manifest physically with symptoms like nausea, chills, fever, vomiting. And Edvinsson did take a check to the head and then bounced his helmet off the ice on his way down. I really hope the kid is alright.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
No Edvinsson again makes me wonder if his "cold" is from a concussion. Brain injuries like concussions and post-concussion synrome can sometimes manifest physically with symptoms like nausea, chills, fever, vomiting. And Edvinsson did take a check to the head and then bounced his helmet off the ice on his way down. I really hope the kid is alright.

Brain injuries should never be rushed. Whatever is happening, I hope Frolunda stays extra cautious.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I have determined that I am going to attempt a redo of my last 2 birthday trips that were canned by COVID.

Iceland - Germany - Denmark - Sweden

I'm going to try and see the Farjestad @ Frolunda game January 29 and the Farjestad @ Rogle game January 25. There's cheaper ways to get SHL swag, but I don't think they'll be as fun!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pretty close. Wallinder is an elite skater. I thought his overall skating ability was top 5 in that draft.

Honestly it was Wallinder's skating that had me so enamored with him and made him a top 15 guy for me. He is a big project, we have always known that, but there is just so much to work with. If we can win on him and again I keep saying this but we need to win on a few of these guys in a big way all Stanley Cup teams have those guys they hit homeruns on in the second round or lower than just the top few positions. I know we still need a super elite guy, but Seider looks like one and Raymond looks like a difference maker. You can see the plan at least, fix center and we are starting to look really interesting. I love what Yzerman is doing. They talk about compete, but a thing I like about Yzerman and Draper is they seem to draft a decent amount of plus athletes. I think Wallinder might translate better to the small rink too, but I guess we will see, I think he gets lost in space sometimes and the simplification might actually help him a bit.

It is fun to watch these guys in Sweden, they are playing well thus far, encouraging to see that. We invested heavily in this though, so to have success should be kind of an expectation, at least I assume Yzerman feels that way.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Honestly it was Wallinder's skating that had me so enamored with him and made him a top 15 guy for me. He is a big project, we have always known that, but there is just so much to work with. If we can win on him and again I keep saying this but we need to win on a few of these guys in a big way all Stanley Cup teams have those guys they hit homeruns on in the second round or lower than just the top few positions. I know we still need a super elite guy, but Seider looks like one and Raymond looks like a difference maker. You can see the plan at least, fix center and we are starting to look really interesting. I love what Yzerman is doing. They talk about compete, but a thing I like about Yzerman and Draper is they seem to draft a decent amount of plus athletes. I think Wallinder might translate better to the small rink too, but I guess we will see, I think he gets lost in space sometimes and the simplification might actually help him a bit.

It is fun to watch these guys in Sweden, they are playing well thus far, encouraging to see that. We invested heavily in this though, so to have success should be kind of an expectation, at least I assume Yzerman feels that way.

I think that's an interesting take and I think we can test that theory when he's at the WJC U20s this year. Like I've said in other threads, I think the inconsistency with Wallinder is tied more to confidence. He's doing things with the puck this season that we didn't see from him in his draft year and last year. He's got a lot more giddyup and go in his game this season and is a lot more actively engaged, skating much harder much more consistently. And you may be onto something about less space and his game. We may see him skate even harder.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Wallinder this season is completely night and day compared to last year. He looks much more refined and polished, which has allowed him to get the most out of his skating.

We're going to be spoiled for choice when it comes to our defense for years to come.

Reactions: r0bert8841

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018

What the only swedish prospect that has underwhelmed in Yzerman's time been Albin Grewe?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Evangelista (42nd) is easily a better prospect as well.

I've actually watched Evangelista play a bunch, Iwould love to hear how he is easily a better prospect lol. He played 14 games last year after the draft and this year is having a hot start for sure, but what exactlydoes he do that makes you think hes easily better than Wallinder? Hes scoring in a league against a lot of kids who didnt even get to play last year like he did, Wallinder is having a hot start against men who played all last season in a pro league.

How can you compare the two to say one is easily better? I would love to hear how many times you have watched them play to compare them

I think that the team and doctors would be able to recognise those concussion symptoms and tie the 2 together though. I wouldnt worry about it too much

Reactions: ealong59

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Man I keep telling people (not on this board) to not sleep on LDN. Great hockey sense and that's exactly the kind of player I'd take a gamble on with a late round pick.

Reactions: wingerdinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad