WJC: Sweden announces WJC roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Although it seems disappointing because you cannot assemble all your talent, if your Swedish you have to be very happy that for the last 2-3 years Sweden is missing some of its top juniors ; it highlights the strength of the Swedish development system. Although Canada (and the US to a degree) has this issue to a greater extent, via proxy of such good development Sweden's world junior squad is reversely impacted. To think last year their D didn't even have Hedman or Karlsson on it, yet it was still sick. This year they lost their 3 best 92's. Next year one would assume Larsson and Landeskog won't be around to play. Great for Swedish hockey.

Any idea what role Brodin will play? It is interesting to note that of the "other" 2011 first time eligibles, he made it over bigger names such as Rask. I've heard him as a potential 1st round pick yet he isn't really listed there in any rankings as of yet.

Also, what about Friberg? Considering he is also a 1st time eligible and made it over some highly regarded NHL prospects he must have a pretty nice skillset?

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Rask is a center, but I think he should have made it, at least to camp. He's been pretty dominant in earlier junior tournaments.
Brodin will likely be drafted in the 1st round.

Nobody knows much about Friberg. He plays division 1 (tier 3) senior hockey which is not aired on any TV channel. It will be interesting.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Nobody knows much about Friberg. He plays division 1 (tier 3) senior hockey which is not aired on any TV channel. It will be interesting.

All I know is that he's been highly touted for years and many teams, Frölunda and HV especially, have wanted him to join them.

Friberg is gritty but with some skill. Is playing a pretty big role with a top Swe-3-club and doing it well. Hard working, tries to be physical but it's not the heaviest hitter by any means. He'll bounce off Cowen and Gudbranson like a kid playing against men.

However, good team guy and it's good to have some returnees next year.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
ide say ur butthurt about landers comment but, thanks for your input:)

Maybe.

I'm hoping Sweden might really go and force their way through on team effort, but honestly.. this team looks like the worst in 3 years or so at this point. Previous years I really felt like Sweden could go all the way, but this time around I'd be happy with bronze really. Even if draft position isn't everything especially for Europeans, we have one first rounder on this team (in Erixon) and youngsters Larsson and Landeskog in their draft year who'll go in that round (Brodin as a long shot too).
Meanwhile a team like Canada has 15 or so first rounders plus guys like Couturier. We can't expect to beat that, especially on small ice. Not this year.

But here's hoping! ;)

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Just wondering, what is Anton Lander's high and low end potential? I haven't been able to watch him all that much, but I've heard names like Zetterberg and Pahlsson. Thanks in advance.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Just wondering, what is Anton Lander's high and low end potential? I haven't been able to watch him all that much, but I've heard names like Zetterberg and Pahlsson. Thanks in advance.

Well, I'd say he lacks most of the game-breaking offensive skills that Zetterberg possesses (and uses from time to time), but in terms of playing style he is a good comparable. Lander is extremely smart and responsible and a great teammate, evident by the fact that he's been voted best teammate in several camps, being an alternate captain and captain on several teams (an alternate with Timrå in the SEL at very young age).

I think he's going to be a responsible second line centre at best and a third line center with some scoring touch at worst. He's one of the "safer" prospects out of Sweden in terms of making the NHL eventually. Perhaps his lack of said game-breaking offensive skills will keep him to the bottom-6, but his smarts should definitely earn him a full-time gig in the big league in the coming years.

Will have to work on faceoffs and his foot speed still, but the former is always improving for Swedish centers after they cross the Atlantic.

To sum up, ranging between Greg Campbell and David Krejci (as a very high ceiling, not very probable). Don't know why it's two Bruins, by the way.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I know Adam Larsson is projected to go either 1st or 2nd overall this summer. The Devils are in desperate need of a right handed PMD that can log solid minutes in every aspect of the game and Larsson is just that IMO.

Can someone give me a solid "scouting report" about Larsson? Does he have a hard shot or is he more of a playmaker... is he a smooth skater that can skate himself out of trouble or will he make a nice crisp pass to get out of the zone?

Thanks ;)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I know Adam Larsson is projected to go either 1st or 2nd overall this summer. The Devils are in desperate need of a right handed PMD that can log solid minutes in every aspect of the game and Larsson is just that IMO.

Can someone give me a solid "scouting report" about Larsson? Does he have a hard shot or is he more of a playmaker... is he a smooth skater that can skate himself out of trouble or will he make a nice crisp pass to get out of the zone?

Thanks ;)

Shoots the Lidstrom way, i.e. hard shots from the blueline for redirections or rebounds primarily. Crisp pass out of the zone rather than skate it up himself.

JetLi

Apr 19, 2004
Sweden
Excellent start for team Sweden , half of the equipment left i Munich. Hopefully the team will get atleast one practice together before the Canada game....

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
According to Bob MacKenzie, Team Sweden has arrived in Toronto safe but without their equipment.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
According to Bob MacKenzie, Team Sweden has arrived in Toronto safe but without their equipment.

Yeah, this was reported earlier today in Swedish media aswell. Only around ten players skated on first practice (yesterday).

dude67

Nov 15, 2010
OEL can stay in PHX he is awesome but a skilled upside is not everthing we had awesome team last year and that turned out ugly.

We had really good chance to win with our 88-89 team and that team had more grit then skill.

More balanced team this year i think

dude67

Nov 15, 2010
Maybe.

I'm hoping Sweden might really go and force their way through on team effort, but honestly.. this team looks like the worst in 3 years or so at this point. Previous years I really felt like Sweden could go all the way, but this time around I'd be happy with bronze really. Even if draft position isn't everything especially for Europeans, we have one first rounder on this team (in Erixon) and youngsters Larsson and Landeskog in their draft year who'll go in that round (Brodin as a long shot too).
Meanwhile a team like Canada has 15 or so first rounders plus guys like Couturier. We can't expect to beat that, especially on small ice. Not this year.

But here's hoping! ;)

Don´t hang up on 1 rounders its deliver time now and for sure they have lots good hockey players but after all its same people how draft them as players like Omark Zetterberg Datsyik Franzen Lidström J.Ericsson etc etc etc etc 3-4 rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland