WJC: Sweden announces WJC roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE

May 10, 2010
Lander is extremely smart and responsible and a great teammate, evident by the fact that he's been voted best teammate in several camps, being an alternate captain and captain on several teams (an alternate with Timrå in the SEL at very young age).

When Lander was offered a new contract by Timrå, he had some issues with his salary.
Unlike most players Lander thought he was offered too MUCH money and he wanted a lower salary.
Says a lot about what kinda person he is..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
To me one of the most intriguing draft-eligibles in the tournament is JOHAN SUNDSTROM....6'3 198 --there are not a lot of BIG centres listed in the top 30 on most rankings for this draft I have seen and SUNDSTROM is only listed at #13 in the Swedish skater prelim. rankings by Central scouting,Normally that is only 3rd rounder quality..So either he SHOULD be ranked a lot higher on most draft rankigs OR he willbe if he has a good tournament..SWeden opted for him as the 4th line centre with his size+weight instead of already drafted JOAKIM NORDSTROM(CHI) who shined at the selection camp with 2g+3a over the 3 games,or the higher ranked Mikka Zibanejab ..Sundtrom is an inch taller and about 22 pounds heavier than Nordstrom... A good showing at the WJHC could make Sundstrom a big "riser" on a lot of lists..
THUS keep the radar on SUNDSTROM --with that size if he shows anything skill-wise-look out --you have a potential riser with a bullit ...The write-up on him at eliteprospects.com seems toi ndicate a very god mix of size,speed,hands,hockey sense ,and willingness to go to the high traffic areas..IF all that shows up at the WJHC --then here could be your riser with a bullit that changes the dynamics of all the rankings...Big centres with that tool set are rare comodities who willbe highly prized at draft time.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Don´t hang up on 1 rounders its deliver time now and for sure they have lots good hockey players but after all its same people how draft them as players like Omark Zetterberg Datsyik Franzen Lidström J.Ericsson etc etc etc etc 3-4 rounders

While I do agree that there are many exceptions, it's still quite telling if you manage to get that many first rounders on a WJC team. Late round draft picks tend to not show their worth until later in their career too. And scouting has gotten a whole lot better since 10 years ago.

All I'm saying is.. don't expect this team to be as good as it has been in recent years.

Last edited:

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
TSN just said Hockey Canada has provided Team Sweden with gear in case their gear doesn't get here. Anyone have any more info on that?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I assume Lehner will be playing tomorrow since he may be the only goalie with his gear?

Sounds reasonable to think Lehner will start against Canada and P-W against Switzerland, although nothing is confirmed. Apparently they went to a sports shop and tried new equipment out for those missing just in case it doesn't appear before the game.

CODER33

Nov 28, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
Sounds reasonable to think Lehner will start against Canada and P-W against Switzerland, although nothing is confirmed. Apparently they went to a sports shop and tried new equipment out for those missing just in case it doesn't appear before the game.

Exactly. TSN announcers said that the Swedish team should expect all their equipment into Canada by the game tomorrow night, but the airline company can not write anything in stone thanks to all the snow Great Britain is getting. If you happen to get a chance to see some pictures, do so. Crazy weather going on everywhere in the world...

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Can anybody tell me who Sweden's big guns are? I know Larsson and Lehner are looking good, but how about Landeskog & Co.?

Biggest stars in each position is Landeskog, Larsson and Lehner, but with Anton Lander and Tim Erixon being the less flashy names but still stars on this team.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly. TSN announcers said that the Swedish team should expect all their equipment into Canada by the game tomorrow night, but the airline company can not write anything in stone thanks to all the snow Great Britain is getting. If you happen to get a chance to see some pictures, do so. Crazy weather going on everywhere in the world...

Great Britain getting snow, go figure what we are having up here. ^^ Haven't had plus degrees(Celsius) in over a month, coldest in 135 or so years. Warmest temperature in the country as we speak is hovering around -10, it's like the freaking north pole.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Great Britain getting snow, go figure what we are having up here. ^^ Haven't had plus degrees(Celsius) in over a month, coldest in 135 or so years. Warmest temperature in the country as we speak is hovering around -10, it's like the freaking north pole.

-12 in SOUTH sweden:cry:

Puckluck11

Feb 13, 2008
Luleå
Someone wrote that this team is not as good overall as the last 2 teams and i fully agree. Lot's of questions mark going into the tourny. Which is of course expected but when was the last time Sweden had a team with so many youngsters to be drafted come June? Can the handle the best 91's?

Jarnkrok, Landeskog, Lander and Cehlin are the go-to guys offensively that needs to produce. Add to that Fasth given his latest achievements. I expect Lindberg to chip in occasionly as well. Klingberg is the question mark much due to his lack of offensiv production in SEL. He absolutely need to step up.

3 and 4th line is big question marks, maybe not defensively with Sundstrom, Larsson and Friberg all defensively sound but off-wise. Can they hold off the best lines vs US/CAN/RUS and able chip in as well? Time will tell of course....bronze game against Russia anyone?

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln