Sven "Only Needs Love" Baertschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Or is it that the AHL game is that step slower and it allows his talent to come through more despite the deficiencies in his game?

It shouldn't be a lack of confidence for him. He had a strong finish last year. He has been gifted a prime spot in the lineup. I don't see where the lack of confidence would come from besides worrying that it his last shot at the NHL. Which might very well be the reason but in the end he needs to show a lot more than he has. To quote a great intellectual from this great game of hockey: "It is what it is".

Not only a strong finish last season but he also racked up points in pre-season. I don't think his game there was deserving of those points but surely it wouldn't have had a negative impact on his confidence.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Not only a strong finish last season but he also racked up points in pre-season. I don't think his game there was deserving of those points but surely it wouldn't have had a negative impact on his confidence.

He's pretty much had all his NHL success in a Canuck uniform against the Oilers whose defense is not far off an AHL level. There's a big step up when you play most Western Conference teams. They're mostly heavy, well coached teams that don't give you much to work with offensively.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Would the Flames have dumped a former 11th overall first-rounder for a late second-rounder, not to mention traded him to a division rival, if they really thought there was any chance he'd work out?

Grabner:handclap:

Baer is a playmaker that needs to have a sniper on his line. He has been offering nice saucer passes, only to have them misfired by the receiver. Vrbata is still in rust mode and Horvat is overwhelmed with carrying the weight for his soft wingers. The only other option is to play him with McCann and add some toughness on RW (Dorsett maybe).

It's early days, so people should cut him some slack for a bit.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Or is it that the AHL game is that step slower and it allows his talent to come through more despite the deficiencies in his game?

It shouldn't be a lack of confidence for him. He had a strong finish last year. He has been gifted a prime spot in the lineup. I don't see where the lack of confidence would come from besides worrying that it his last shot at the NHL. Which might very well be the reason but in the end he needs to show a lot more than he has. To quote a great intellectual from this great game of hockey: "It is what it is".

Yeah, agreed. In a way I'd also like to see Virtanen with those two, but it's never a good sign when a guy seemingly needs a specific type of player on their line just to succeed.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Yeah, agreed. In a way I'd also like to see Virtanen with those two, but it's never a good sign when a guy seemingly needs a specific type of player on their line just to succeed.

most players would love to play with a center like bo horvat who covers for so many defensive errors and does all the dirty work along the boards

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I suppose if there is a bit of a silver lining with Sven's play this season it's that it's becoming more likely that he'll pass through waivers.

It's only 3 games in and I really think he's a player who's feast or famine when it comes to chemistry with linemates.

The talent and upside is still there but man he looked way more explosive when he first came up in this league.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Baertschi is a setup type winger. Bo can score, but he also has to help get the puck. The other winger needs to be fast, a go to the corner guy as well, and have a scoring touch (e.g. Virtanen). Once either Bo or Baert are in possession in the offensive zone passes from and to Baertschi will be turned into setup passes. He piles up assists a la Edmonton. He scores when he has an open path to the net which will only occur when the other two start creating havoc and Baert is less dangerous to the opponent. Baert is not a board mucking, puck battling, physical, banging, power forward. His game is really a form of finesse that melds with two good skating, hard working mates who use all parts of the zone and are not glued to their spots based on line titles (C/RW/LW). That's why Virtanen and Bo worked so well with him.

His setups for Vrbata are going for Naught and Vrbata is too soft to get the puck in the corners. Two softies with Bo won't cut it and no offside crasher hurts Baert. Many NHL lines are created by guys who fit with each other. All players can't just be stuck on a line and produce no matter the style of their line mates. Baert is one of those guys. Give him the right mates and you will be very happy. WD has to stop trying to make him a round peg. The square peg won't fit into the round hole. He must be hockey wise enough to know that.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I thought he played pretty well against Anaheim both ways but against LA he didn't seem to have any confidence to actually make a play with the puck.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
@taj1944: LMAO RT @patersonjeff: #Canucks Benning tells @TSN1040 he talked to Baertchi's agent for an hour this morning explaining team's thinking

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Who is Baertschi's agent? Seems weird that a GM would have to get involved in that at all.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
@taj1944: LMAO RT @patersonjeff: #Canucks Benning tells @TSN1040 he talked to Baertchi's agent for an hour this morning explaining team's thinking

yikes

Hope Svens looking forward to a summer of watching game tape:laugh:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If I was Baertschi's agent I would be pretty pissed that my client is getting sat out for Prust.

Best possession forward on the team getting sat our for a face puncher.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

So weird that a GM would have to take time out of his day to tell some agent about how average his client has been playing.

Sven never goes into the corners, and he shy's away from any sort of contact.

Definitely not a western conference player.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If I was Baertschi's agent I would be pretty pissed that my client is getting sat out for Prust.

Best possession forward on the team getting sat our for a face puncher.

He has not played well. Quoting possession stats over such a small sample size doesn't change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad