Sven "Only Needs Love" Baertschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Separate the trade discussion and the player discussion.

With the odds are that he will be on the team next year due to waivers, these final stretch of games/ playoffs in Utica may be the most important hockey of his life. Let's hope he rejuvenates his career and finds the confidence he needs!

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Been excited to see Sven play since he was drafted
Interested to see what he will do

Cue the inevitable season ending injury

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I hope Baertschi gets a legit look in our top 6 in Utica. I would expect him to be rejuvenated and will come out flying, showing the skill that made him such an exciting prospect a few years ago.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Stoked, if he reaches his potential he can be a star. Was very high on him when he played with Portland really think this was a great trade for us.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Didn't expect this gift at the deadline. He'll be motivated to play well.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He needs to turn it around very quickly.

He has this season and next fall to make the Canucks as a top 6 forward. In a similar spot as Grabner was few years back. I'd say there's more leeway now than back then because the team is not as tightly tuned contender but still. The way he's projected recent years, you have to pretty optimistic to believe he can do that.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Posted this in another thread, but obviously relevant here as well.

Hoping Baertschi will be our version of Nino Niederreiter, going from the Islanders to the Wild. A change of scenery can do wonders.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
Flames fan here! You got a great deal for him, he could still turn out to be a top 6 player for you guys in the future. However you need to get him back to playing offensive hockey. Calgary tried to make him a more defensive player and that dried up his offence. All you need for him to do is put up points, so put a forward that is good defensively with him. Also give him lots of minutes, he builds off confidence and thrives when he has it. Good luck!

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Flames fan here! You got a great deal for him, he could still turn out to be a top 6 player for you guys in the future. However you need to get him back to playing offensive hockey. Calgary tried to make him a more defensive player and that dried up his offence. All you need for him to do is put up points, so put a forward that is good defensively with him. Also give him lots of minutes, he builds off confidence and thrives when he has it. Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I've done a little stats searching because I'm a nerd like that

2011-15 (4yr)

Pts/60 are decent 6th on the Flames with 66 games played in that time

Sven Baertschi 1.77 pts/60

If he was on the Canucks he would be 8th on the Canucks only behind Bo "the legend" Horvat with (1.78 pts/60)

Then some not so good stats. His CF% is very bad 37rd on the Flames over 4 years. But, he played games when he was young so I'll give him a write off.

Sven Baertschi 44.1 CF%

That on the canucks would be 2nd last in front of only Alex Biega and behind Tom Sestito

--------------------

Did some extra digging that might explain the low CF numbers.

Calgary for the past 4 years has been 27rd in the league for CF%

He has been paired with Hudler and Monohan for most of his career.

Hudler is 49.6 CF% without, 43.7 CF% with

Monohan is 44.8 CF% without, 43.9 CF% with

So he hasn't been really that big of an anchor possession wise. I think sticking him to Bonino and Vrbata (who are good possession players) might be the right move. It'll drag Bonino and Vrbata down a bit but it's not like Baertschi isn't a weapon offensively. This season his PDO is also 97.3 so getting a bit unlucky and his Pts/60 is good. so we'll see.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't like the cost but I did like the player very much at one point.

Hopefully the change of scenery does wonders. It'll have to, because he needs to turn his career around quickly for this to work.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Loved Baertschi in the WHL, but man he has not impressed when I've seen the baby flames play.

From what I'm hearing and what benning said , it sounds like he lost all his confidence especially being passed by all of the flames farm system. Benning specifically said Sven was a positive guy who just loves coming to the rink and playing hockey, has passion for the game , and that he had lost that the last couple seasons due to the rut he was in. He probably felt he would never get a shot.

He sounds thrilled to come here and to hear that he wants to earn his spot starting in the ahl is great news.

I'm expecting him to have a huge impact on the comets.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Cautiously optimistic about picking up Sven. Would be such a boost to the organization if he pans out as a legit top 6 forward. Here's to hoping Travis Green can spark his former junior player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad