Sven "Only Needs Love" Baertschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asidas

Jun 15, 2014
vancouver
beargee will get better as the games have more meaning. sutter is not his fit and vrbata looked like the worst player on the ice when paired with sutter.

interesting from that game when they were a "thing" all three of them looked garbage. So why the hate on with beargee.

relax people. Theres a thing called chemistry and skill players need that. Grinders dont. Split the sedins and you'll hear ppl say d. sedin is useless and is no good in corners.

Skilled players look for plays and when the other linemate doesnt know where to be because of lack of chemistry, you have no options, therefore you look stupid. A grinder can always look good if he hits and steals the puck a few times

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My thought with Baertschi is this:

Split him from Sutter, and play him with Horvat in these final few pre-season games. If Baertschi and Horvat connect, Baertschi makes the team. If Baertschi still continues to struggle, send him down to Utica and risk losing him to waivers.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Back on the Baertschi bandwagon

Back on the Baertschi bandwagon

Alrighty boys, I'm back on the Baertschi bandwagon. He's looking very good with Horvat thus far. Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen looks pretty solid tonight.

I'll admit that my confidence in Baertschi took a massive hit when I saw his lackluster play with Sutter and Vey (hey that rhymed), but as I said before the pre-season; I think a line of Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen will be solid.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
a little too soon

a little too soon

a little too soon. i think youre flopping back and forth too easily

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That's an awful post.

Watch him struggle next period and you flip back.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There's no one method of developing a player. Some players need to be put into a position to succeed and Baertschi is clearly not the type of player for tough love. The Canucks have invested quite a bit in Baertschi. Forget about making the team based on merit. Give him consistent minutes and a chance to succeed and see what he can do with it.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If he wasn't waiver-eligible, IMO his preseason would have him sent down to the AHL already. Hopefully he shows something soon.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
3A so far in this game, that's the thing about him, he always seems to balance out his play with monster games.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Only Benning trade I've liked. I feel like Baertschi was the Flames' Kassian. Management just gave up on him because they didn't like him. Granted tonight was just the Oilers being the Oilers, even in games where Baertschi didn't produce he showed flashes of brilliance.

Consistency will come with time, the kid has talent and isn't awful defensively or along the boards, no reason not to give him a good long look.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Only Benning trade I've liked. I feel like Baertschi was the Flames' Kassian. Management just gave up on him because they didn't like him.
Some players need a change of scenery. Travis Green spoke about Baertschi and how he seemed like a completely different player from the one he coached in juniors. Baertschi was clearly frustrated playing in the Flames' system and he needed a fresh start and new opportunities to ignite the fire he had before. One can argue that Kassian is different because for better or for worse he kept playing for new coaches. He may be the same player or he just might need a new start.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Others have said it already but I really liked the complement of skills on that Bae-Bo-Virt line tonight. Each player brought something to the table and made the game easier for their linemates. Pretty sure a few of us had suggested this line throughout the preseason and it certainly showed the chemistry we had thought might be there.

I think Baertschi is always going to frustrate fans a bit. He's got the great hands and vision but is also very weak on the puck. He isn't elite enough in his skills to be a Patrick Kane so you'll see some games you love him and others you won't know he played. But if he can become more consistent and limit those invisible games then it's pretty good value on a second rounder.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Others have said it already but I really liked the complement of skills on that Bae-Bo-Virt line tonight. Each player brought something to the table and made the game easier for their linemates. Pretty sure a few of us had suggested this line throughout the preseason and it certainly showed the chemistry we had thought might be there.

I think Baertschi is always going to frustrate fans a bit. He's got the great hands and vision but is also very weak on the puck. He isn't elite enough in his skills to be a Patrick Kane so you'll see some games you love him and others you won't know he played. But if he can become more consistent and limit those invisible games then it's pretty good value on a second rounder.

I don't think he's weak on the puck, he protects it well and on the boards he's got a really smart stick and smart feet. He wins more than his fair share of board battles at his size. My knock on him right now is it doesn't seem like he has the confidence to make dazzling offensive plays that he's capable of, but he did say he's trying to keep it simple and not make mistaks.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Some players need a change of scenery. Travis Green spoke about Baertschi and how he seemed like a completely different player from the one he coached in juniors. Baertschi was clearly frustrated playing in the Flames' system and he needed a fresh start and new opportunities to ignite the fire he had before. One can argue that Kassian is different because for better or for worse he kept playing for new coaches. He may be the same player or he just might need a new start.

I think young players like them only need a fresh start because management forms their opinion of the player and it sticks even if the player changes. That's a fault of management or coaching who form an opinion and can't let it go.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Obviously his high-end skill level was on display, he can pass the puck and stickhandle. But it was Horvat and Virtanen's determination that created most of those assists. Baertschi got a bit dirtier but he still needs to drive the net and pay the price if he's going to produce against anyone other than Edmonton. Definitely showing that that he can be a complimentary scorer on the right line though. Liked him with Horvat, Horvat drives the net like a maniac and finds the seems as well as anyone. He's an ideal centre for a playmaking winger like Sven.

Bottom line is we need more Horvats.

arsmaster*

Obviously his high-end skill level was on display, he can pass the puck and stickhandle. But it was Horvat and Virtanen's determination that created most of those assists. Baertschi got a bit dirtier but he still needs to drive the net and pay the price if he's going to produce against anyone other than Edmonton. Definitely showing that that he can be a complimentary scorer on the right line though. Liked him with Horvat, Horvat drives the net like a maniac and finds the seems as well as anyone. He's an ideal centre for a playmaking winger like Sven.

Bottom line is we need more Horvats.

Agree with all of this. I never once thought Baertschi was the best or even 2nd best player on that line, and he finished the night with more points than either.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Higgins - Sutter - Hansen
Dorsett - McCann - Burrows

Every line can easily play 13+ minutes, and every line should be able to generate some offence.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Can't see the Kassian-Baertschi comparisons really.....Kassian frustrated his coaches in Buffalo and wore out his welcome with three different coaches in VanCity....although Torts did seem to get the best out of him for a brief period....Baertshi just got buried in the Flames system after Burkie called him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad