Sven "Only Needs Love" Baertschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Vey was acquired sight unseen just because Desjardins had coached him in junior. Bärtschi at least was a pretty high-profile prospect and starred down the stretch for the Comets last season. It wasn't a bad gamble to acquire him, and he deserves a bit of a chance.

The LA kings prospect depth wasn't great when we traded for him, and he slipped down to 3rd on their depth chart.

LA didn't want to re-sign him

We did LA a HUGE favor.

three 2nd round picks Benning has now traded, and if you look at the players they are Roland Mckeown, and Rasmus andersson.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Baertschi may possibly be the softest player I've seen in a Canucks uniform. I've seen him win maybe two board battles all season and I'm having a real hard time envisioning him staying in the lineup once Higgins gets back. If he's not putting up points at a decent clip, there is no reason to play him. Nice assist last night? Sure, but that's also a fairly routine pass that most NHL players would also make, I'm not seeing an elite skill level or creativity.

Rooting for him but I do not see a day to day NHLer so far. Of the four rookies, he looks the worst, which is not a good sign for a guy that has tons more pro experience than the other three.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Get rid of him, no room once Higgins comes back and already out performed by the two rookie forwards.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Baertschi may possibly be the softest player I've seen in a Canucks uniform. I've seen him win maybe two board battles all season and I'm having a real hard time envisioning him staying in the lineup once Higgins gets back. If he's not putting up points at a decent clip, there is no reason to play him. Nice assist last night? Sure, but that's also a fairly routine pass that most NHL players would also make, I'm not seeing an elite skill level or creativity.

Rooting for him but I do not see a day to day NHLer so far. Of the four rookies, he looks the worst, which is not a good sign for a guy that has tons more pro experience than the other three.

For a guy who's 23 and has 80 games NHL experience, you'd expect him to hit the ground running offensively, even if he had some defensive issues.

But he's basically just been another Vey. Nothing but perimeter play, no shots, no offense. Picks up a 2nd assist here and there because he's smart in his distribution of the puck, but really contributing nothing.

For a good skater, he's also not very fast - there was a play last night where he would have had a partial breakaway if he could have caught up to an errant outlet pass, and either Beaulieu or Petry (couldn't tell if it was 26 or 28 - but neither is a burner) reeled him in like he was standing still.

We've now had a 15-game look at him including preseason and he's had maybe 2-3 games where he wasn't outright invisible/poor. The clock is ticking.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Baertschi is significantly better than Vey. He has the talent and looks to be that prototypical streaky European offensive forward that used to exist in the NHL.

The treatment he is being given with minutes cut would work for guys who have different skillsets and have different roles, but with Baertschi, you need to ride it out for a large amount of games with consistent minutes.

He seems like a guy that needs the confidence to produce, and the team is making it as hard as possible for him to gain it.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I think Baertschi has been given lots of quality ice time. He has seen PP time, and has had every opportunity to show something.

I think he has elite vision, but has no courage whatsoever. He has to get over being afraid to make the NHL, and start taking the puck to the net.

Otherwise, with the play he has been showing, we have better options on Utica. :(

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Baertschi is significantly better than Vey. He has the talent and looks to be that prototypical streaky European offensive forward that used to exist in the NHL.

The treatment he is being given with minutes cut would work for guys who have different skillsets and have different roles, but with Baertschi, you need to ride it out for a large amount of games with consistent minutes.

He seems like a guy that needs the confidence to produce, and the team is making it as hard as possible for him to gain it.

Came here to ask you guys how he's been, and this pretty much answers it. This has always been Sven's biggest fault. When he has his confidence, he does well. The issue is that he gets knocked off that confidence very easily.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
easily knocked off puck and not strong on his skates. I hope he can turn it around though, id really like to stick it to the Flames!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

2nd line/2nd best centre, PP time, 30 goal scoring winger. Those *******!

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Nobody can say Bae hasn't been given the opportunity. Other than the game he was scratched of course (deservedly), he's been put in offensive situations.

He's disengaged 90% of the time. Once he starts playing instead of floating he can be a solid player.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Being soft is only one of his issues. The bigger problem IMO is he can't separate himself from the opposition with the puck on his stick. He's not quick or shifty enough to spin into open ice where he can make plays with the puck.

Maybe he just needs some confidence to get going, but as of right now, he looks just a half step too slow to make an impact. You can be weak and fast/shifty or strong and slow, but it's tough to be weak and average speed in today's game and be effective.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Burkie and the Flames will get the last laugh on this one.....guy'd be in Utica by now if he wasn't subject to waivers....a pair of second-rounders for Vey and Baertschi makes me more than a little queasy.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He had some good shifts last night as well, where he actually made plays happen. I think the shift where he got the assist was pretty solid IIRC.

I think it will take some growing pains, but I don't mind him. He did put up a 40 point pace in Calgary years ago, and if he continues to develop he could be a solid pickup. Too early to cut our losses IMO.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He has until Higgins gets back to prove himself.... Shinkaruk has been doing great down in Utica too. Full youth movement!

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He doesnt hold onto the puck, even though hes a skilled player. He goes down and takes shots from a long distance or he walks with it for 2 seconds before passing to the D. He also doesnt go into the corners, unless if hes coming in off a rush hes not much of a threat.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
For a guy who's 23 and has 80 games NHL experience, you'd expect him to hit the ground running offensively, even if he had some defensive issues.

But he's basically just been another Vey. Nothing but perimeter play, no shots, no offense. Picks up a 2nd assist here and there because he's smart in his distribution of the puck, but really contributing nothing.

For a good skater, he's also not very fast - there was a play last night where he would have had a partial breakaway if he could have caught up to an errant outlet pass, and either Beaulieu or Petry (couldn't tell if it was 26 or 28 - but neither is a burner) reeled him in like he was standing still.

We've now had a 15-game look at him including preseason and he's had maybe 2-3 games where he wasn't outright invisible/poor. The clock is ticking.
I agree with your assessment. There is very little about his game that I like currently. It was very perplexing when a Leafs fan posted in the prospects thread saying he should be number 1 star in the game against Montreal. He didn't contribute much at all. I remember that play, i thought he looked very heavy footed. Where is the supposed skill and speed? I don't see any of it.

Beyond one game in the pre-season, he has yet to show any kind of sustained pressure or a consistent level of play. I'm not sure the change of scenery move has worked at all. Hopefully, this will be the end of the tactic of throwing our 2nds at other team's castaways. There usually a good reason why these players don't work out and why teams are ready to give up on them.

Give me Shinkaruk long-term and start show-casing Baertschi for a trade.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
2nd line/2nd best centre, PP time, 30 goal scoring winger. Those *******!

Baertschi is averaging 11:00 a game, only being ahead of 2 rookies in that category. Also 11th in PP TOI/G. 3 points in 8 games. Been benched for large periods of time. Been sub 10 minutes in 3 of those 8 games.

Pretty clear that he isn't being given the same treatment that WD's golden boy was last year. In Vey's first 8 games last year? 6 of 8 games with 13+ minutes, a few games with 15+. Lots of PP time.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Unpopular opinion, but I don't think he's been bad. Hasn't hurt the team at least. To my eye, he's been very good in the neutral zone and one of the few players who can make controlled zone entries consistently even without support.

His best skill is passing. He would probably benefit from having a "soft spot" shooter on his line (of which we do not have on this team). He likes to hang on to the puck on the wall and I feel he's actually decent at that. It's too early to just bail on him yet. Regardless of how he pans out, I still think this was one of Benning's smarter moves. Decent gamble.

And I know half this board will b**** and moan, but for what it's worth his possession numbers are strong. He's not actively submarining the team.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Baertschi is averaging 11:00 a game, only being ahead of 2 rookies in that category. Also 11th in PP TOI/G. 3 points in 8 games. Been benched for large periods of time. Been sub 10 minutes in 3 of those 8 games.

Pretty clear that he isn't being given the same treatment that WD's golden boy was last year. In Vey's first 8 games last year? 6 of 8 games with 13+ minutes, a few games with 15+. Lots of PP time.

And he's being outperformed by both of them, even with his undeserved pp time, which is ample more than those two rookies get.

What does Vey have to do with evaluating Sven anyway? He's not even on the roster anymore.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And he's being outperformed by both of them, even with his undeserved pp time, which is ample more than those two rookies get.

What does Vey have to do with evaluating Sven anyway? He's not even on the roster anymore.

Both players cost the Canucks second-round draft picks....and you're right...one isn't even on the roster anymore, and the other?....well, if he doesn't pick it up he might not be either much longer.....how many NHL teams can afford to flush second-rounders down the drain?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Unpopular opinion, but I don't think he's been bad. Hasn't hurt the team at least. To my eye, he's been very good in the neutral zone and one of the few players who can make controlled zone entries consistently even without support.

His best skill is passing. He would probably benefit from having a "soft spot" shooter on his line (of which we do not have on this team). He likes to hang on to the puck on the wall and I feel he's actually decent at that. It's too early to just bail on him yet. Regardless of how he pans out, I still think this was one of Benning's smarter moves. Decent gamble.

And I know half this board will b**** and moan, but for what it's worth his possession numbers are strong. He's not actively submarining the team.

yeah, the vey/pedan/clendenning/baertschi deals will all get thrown into the same slop bucket, but i still think the baertschi acquisition was the only one of the 4 that i'd advocate was a good trade

problem with baertschi is that while he's not hurting the team possession-wise, he doesn't provide any other attributes when he's not helping the team score goals...if the best you can say about him is that he's 'not terrible' then there's not much keeping him on the club

he'll definitely have the the entire year to prove himself as he can't be sent down to utica, but he's going to be in an uncomfortable position if either mccann or virtanen (or both) stick around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->