Sven "Only Needs Love" Baertschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The thing that's really disappointing to me thus far, is that Baertschi so far has looked a lot like a guy who has somehow had the offensive pizzazz beaten out of him. I say Pizzazz because it's a bit doubling fitting, as that flair he's shown at times (and seemed to have back on track with Utica last year looking like a different player...even jumping into the preseason here), the creativity just seems to have de-materialized...just rarely even seem to see him trying to make that "risky" east-west play that he needs to be making to be successful as an NHLer. Baertschi on his game, is going to serve up some offensive zone "pizzas"...but he's also going to thread some beauty passes right to prime scoring areas offensively. That's what he has to do to be successful, and it can be a fine line.

Right now though, he just looks like he's playing not to screw up...and he just doesn't have the skillset or intensity for that. If he's "not screwing up", he's still not really doing much of anything. He needs to be taking those risks and trying stupid spinorama between the legs dekes then thread a pass back straight up through the slot and have big WillieD shaking his head in disgust...right up to the point a Canuck hammers it home and all is well.

Just seems what we've got here is a player with a very specific offensive skillset, and not a lot else. Like an Ales Hemsky type, and shows flashes of all the skill to be just that...which would be a great outcome here. But very much "live by the sword, die by the sword" type player, who i think really needs to spend a lot of time each game actually handling the puck - that's where his skillset is, and has to be if he's ever gonna find any success.

Right now though, he doesn't look like he feels comfortable trying silly things with the puck and handling it extensively (outside the PP really). Tough to do in such limited minutes...But if he can't break through that somehow (or the staff can't find a way to help him break through that), he's not gonna make it. At every lower level he's dominated, he's done it by possessing the puck and doing nifty things with it - outside of that, away from the puck...he's basically just minutes floated out to the ether, hoping he doesn't goof up defensively. Not a lot else to offer there.

Hi guys, just checking in on Bart. Seems like he has gone back to what essentially happened when he was with the Flames. Way different than the pre-season Bart and i just don't understand it. Its all between the ears for him. When he is on fire he is making great plays and creating chances, but for whatever reason he just wants to play safe, and honestly that isn't his game anyways.

Early in the season, maybe he figures it out. Was one of my favourite guys to watch in junior and I'm hoping he turns it around sometime.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Hi guys, just checking in on Bart. Seems like he has gone back to what essentially happened when he was with the Flames. Way different than the pre-season Bart and i just don't understand it. Its all between the ears for him. When he is on fire he is making great plays and creating chances, but for whatever reason he just wants to play safe, and honestly that isn't his game anyways.

Early in the season, maybe he figures it out. Was one of my favourite guys to watch in junior and I'm hoping he turns it around sometime.

Talent is there, he's just afraid of the dirty areas. Problem is that's where most of the goals are scored in this league. He either starts paying the price and the production will come, or he doesn't and he doesn't stay in the NHL. Time will tell. But yes, same story since he was drafted.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Talent is there, he's just afraid of the dirty areas. Problem is that's where most of the goals are scored in this league. He either starts paying the price and the production will come, or he doesn't and he doesn't stay in the NHL. Time will tell. But yes, same story since he was drafted.

If he had the tenacity of Shinkaruk, he'd be a top 6 forward.

As soon as he hears footsteps, he dishes the puck out. And it's not even a good pass. He treats it like a grenade.

I feel like he's going back to Europe next year or a team like Coyotes might take a flyer on him. Shinkaruk will likely take his spot next year.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

The frustrating thing for me is we're looking at a player who is averaging 10:48 in ice-time through 9-games, and it hes going to succeed needs to be put in a more offensive role.

Linden Vey through his first 9 games in a Canucks uniform was getting about 14:30 per game.

If Baertschi is going to learn what he needs to do to be successful (such as going into the dirty areas) playing 10 minutes a game and then being benched in 3rd periods isn't going to help him figure out what he needs to do to be successful.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The thing that's really disappointing to me thus far, is that Baertschi so far has looked a lot like a guy who has somehow had the offensive pizzazz beaten out of him. I say Pizzazz because it's a bit doubling fitting, as that flair he's shown at times (and seemed to have back on track with Utica last year looking like a different player...even jumping into the preseason here), the creativity just seems to have de-materialized...just rarely even seem to see him trying to make that "risky" east-west play that he needs to be making to be successful as an NHLer. Baertschi on his game, is going to serve up some offensive zone "pizzas"...but he's also going to thread some beauty passes right to prime scoring areas offensively. That's what he has to do to be successful, and it can be a fine line.

Right now though, he just looks like he's playing not to screw up...and he just doesn't have the skillset or intensity for that. If he's "not screwing up", he's still not really doing much of anything. He needs to be taking those risks and trying stupid spinorama between the legs dekes then thread a pass back straight up through the slot and have big WillieD shaking his head in disgust...right up to the point a Canuck hammers it home and all is well.

Just seems what we've got here is a player with a very specific offensive skillset, and not a lot else. Like an Ales Hemsky type, and shows flashes of all the skill to be just that...which would be a great outcome here. But very much "live by the sword, die by the sword" type player, who i think really needs to spend a lot of time each game actually handling the puck - that's where his skillset is, and has to be if he's ever gonna find any success.

Right now though, he doesn't look like he feels comfortable trying silly things with the puck and handling it extensively (outside the PP really). Tough to do in such limited minutes...But if he can't break through that somehow (or the staff can't find a way to help him break through that), he's not gonna make it. At every lower level he's dominated, he's done it by possessing the puck and doing nifty things with it - outside of that, away from the puck...he's basically just minutes floated out to the ether, hoping he doesn't goof up defensively. Not a lot else to offer there.

Agreed with this.

He's been poor but his confidence is obviously not there, and the coaching/icetime is a problem.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Agreed with this.

He's been poor but his confidence is obviously not there, and the coaching/icetime is a problem.

Absolutely, this coaching staff clearly isn't the right fit far Baertschi. Birtubo hit the nail on the head with confidence, Baertschi more than anyone on this team struggles with it, benching him in important situations despite not actually making any glaring errors is a terrible mindset to have, especially when you're defending a lead early in the 3rd. Does adding Dorsett to a line late in the game ever actually make a ****ing difference? It seems like it's come back to bite us more times than not. At least with Baertschi you have a guy that can possibly keep the puck 200 FT away from his net (he's been a good possession player this year) I completely understand making changes with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd and you're nursing a lead. But playing a whole 3rd period like that makes no sense considering they (bae/horvat/hansen) actually had a decent night.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

If you have him in the lineup why not play him on the powerplay? This guy was the engine of our farm teams powerplay last post season and it's his best quality.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you have him in the lineup why not play him on the powerplay? This guy was the engine of our farm teams powerplay last post season and it's his best quality.

Nah, gotta get Brandon Sutter those minutes to make that trade/contract look better.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
When Baertschi was having success in Utica he had way more room on the side wall to skate up and down and find lanes. He's getting squeezed off very quickly now. Not surprising he's found success against the Oilers almost exlusively at the NHL level. I also see him trying to be patient with the puck thinking the window for making a pass will improve but it's not happening. That failed play with Horvat last night for instance. I'm starting to worry that the NHL might be too fast for him.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think it's pretty simple with Baertschi - he's not fast enough. Hard to make plays when you aren't fast enough to create some space for yourself.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm more than willing to give Sven another 30-40 games to figure it out.
It'd be nice to put him in more situations to succeed, second PP and offensive zone stars etc.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think it's pretty simple with Baertschi - he's not fast enough. Hard to make plays when you aren't fast enough to create some space for yourself.

I'd say there are a lot of problems but that's definitely one of them.

He's a technically good, fairly agile skater, but has no top-end speed to create separation. And at this level, defenders close in on him very quickly. Same problem Vey had.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd say there are a lot of problems but that's definitely one of them.

He's a technically good, fairly agile skater, but has no top-end speed to create separation. And at this level, defenders close in on him very quickly. Same problem Vey had.

I think you're on to something here....at his size, if he doesn't have a elite level speed he can't gain any separation, and he certainly isn't going to win many puck battles, so he becomes virtually invisible....guy has offensive talent...we saw that in junior, but then so did Linden Vey....the NHL is a place where small wingers with average speed go to die, no matter what their skill level.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
people need to quit coddling this kid. hes not a baby. he flat out just doesn't try hard enough physically.

he would more suited to european hockey but unfortunately for him this is 'MERICA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad