Sven "Only Needs Love" Baertschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2014
Baertschi hasn't looked bad, just underwhelming. He's a highly skilled player so everyone is expecting some flashy play. He hasn't done that at all, he's been quite average but he hasn't been bad; he should be playing better and he quite clearly isn't playing to his potential. Hopefully scratching him will wake him up a bit and push him to his potential a bit more.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He has not played well. Quoting possession stats over such a small sample size doesn't change that.

He hasn't been bad. At worst, "invisible" is an apt description thus far. There's been worse players. No glaring mistakes or awful games.

And his possession numbers and zone entry numbers are something. They're positive elements. He's a passer too and he's shown glimpses of playmaking ability. Had Horvat and Vrbata finished some gimmies he'd have 3 or 4 assists and no one would be saying boo about him.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
He gets eliminated from the play easily, I'd think people would have less problems sitting him if it wasn't Prust taking his spot

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Vrbata's trigger happy style is definitely skewing that entire line's corsi. They have rarely had sustained zone pressure.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The only positive corsi forward but more importantly the only forward bailing on physical confrontations.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Baertschi has played averagely TBH. I will admit that.

But he hasn't played bad.

I hate to say it, but when the offensive play dies on your stick consistently, then you are playing bad. The exception, however, is that he is both young (but not THAT young) and he is new to the system. He is in the same position as Vey last year, and to this point, he has been worse than Vey was to start last season.

If Baerts doesn't improve, he doesn't deserve to be here. So on that note, he may not have been "bad", but he hasn't been good, or even good enough.

Vey played this same level of hockey for enough time to be able to pass through waivers unclaimed. Baerts has to be better than he has been.

MISC*

I think he has it in him. Just needs to find confidence and a groove. 5 games in. All new team mates. Wait at least half a season to see how he's doing. 35-40 points would be a great showing.

The thing about him is when he starts scoring he really racks up points. Hoping he finds his form soon. The skill is there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Complaints about Baertschi are eerily similar to ones on the Flames Board back in the day....skilled guy, but just doesn't win puck battles or go anywhere near the greasy areas.....obviously Benning thought they could change him as a player and surrendered a second-rounder, but not looking like a particular great use of assets....he could easily get passed by guys like Gaunce or Shinkaruk by the end of the year.

IDJOTBOY

Jan 7, 2014
Surrey, BC
Game against the Oilers coming up and the Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen line seems to be back, if practice lines are any indication. It's the perfect storm for Sven. 5 point night?

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I like Baertschi and I definitely think he has some serious upside, but he has to battle harder. Vey couldn't get away with losing puck battles all over the ice. Baertschi, who isn't the coach's pet, certainly won't.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Complaints about Baertschi are eerily similar to ones on the Flames Board back in the day....skilled guy, but just doesn't win puck battles or go anywhere near the greasy areas.....obviously Benning thought they could change him as a player and surrendered a second-rounder, but not looking like a particular great use of assets....he could easily get passed by guys like Gaunce or Shinkaruk by the end of the year.

Should trade Baertschi for a 4th. I this is another Linden Vey situation.

ManoWarrior

Jul 24, 2010
Virtanen and Bo will give him some space. Them against the Oilers gives Sven a nice opportunity to get some confidence going.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Memo to Jimbo....can we please stop trading second rounders for other team's failed prospects.:help:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the trade but hopefully putting him with Horvat and Virtanen sparks an offensive burst from the guy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Complaints about Baertschi are eerily similar to ones on the Flames Board back in the day

I think most Flames fans believe that Baertschi was mishandled. Nobody had too many bad things to say about Baertschi until Burke came out and said what he said.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Vrbata's trigger happy style is definitely skewing that entire line's corsi. They have rarely had sustained zone pressure.
They might have if Baer drove to the net for rebounds or went behind the net or the corners to get the puck. Corsi is a stat goals win games.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Should trade Baertschi for a 4th. I this is another Linden Vey situation.
Vey was acquired sight unseen just because Desjardins had coached him in junior. Bärtschi at least was a pretty high-profile prospect and starred down the stretch for the Comets last season. It wasn't a bad gamble to acquire him, and he deserves a bit of a chance.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Vey was acquired sight unseen just because Desjardins had coached him in junior. Bärtschi at least was a pretty high-profile prospect and starred down the stretch for the Comets last season. It wasn't a bad gamble to acquire him, and he deserves a bit of a chance.

Benning knew Vey, he played in Manchester just 40 miles away from Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad