Injury Report: Svechnikov: Concussion Protocol

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
If you believe their side of the story, Svech asks for a fight, OV asks the equivalent of "Are you sure?", and then Svech nods.

Like I said, only two people know the truth, and both are giving different stories. Trying to claim for certainty that one guy or the other started it is a fool's errand
And...does it really matter? Both fellas wanted to go. Who cares who asked first? There’s no obligation to say yes. Zero.

Everyone who is upset with Ovechkin is upset with the result. Which is exactly what Caps fans are upset about with Oshie. Just....everyone chill out. No one is “dirty.” No one intends to injure the way that Svechnikov and Oshie were injured.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
And...does it really matter? Both fellas wanted to go. Who cares who asked first? There’s no obligation to say yes. Zero.

Everyone who is upset with Ovechkin is upset with the result. Which is exactly what Caps fans are upset about with Oshie. Just....everyone chill out. No one is “dirty.” No one intends to injure the way that Svechnikov and Oshie were injured.

Agree with all this. IMO, I doubt either of them is really ‘lying’ about how the fight came about, it is just a Rashomon effect situation.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Agree with all this. IMO, I doubt either of them is really ‘lying’ about how the fight came about, it is just a Rashomon effect situation.
Damn your Rashomon effect. I would look it up on Wikipedia, and I would follow the "See Also" link to 'Unreliable Narrator', which would have this gem:

One of the earliest uses of unreliability in literature is in The Frogs by Aristophanes. After the god Dionysus claims to have sunk 12 or 13 enemy ships with Cleisthenes, his slave Xanthias says "Then I woke up."

(405 BC, if you must know.)

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Svechnikov agreeing to fight Ovi despite never fighting in his life was dumb, but certainly some big dick energy.
Ovechkin provoking a teenager to a fight after shrugging off challenges for the past 10 years is some tiny dick energy.

"Dick energy?" Ok.

More likely: Ovi sees Svech as the real deal, and worth this kind of fight, and maybe his heir to the title of Greatest Russian Alive.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"Dick energy?" Ok.

More likely: Ovi sees Svech as the real deal, and worth this kind of fight, and maybe his heir to the title of Greatest Russian Alive.

So narratively it will go so that Ovi will hit the lights out of our boy and concuss him once again one of these days, and only in his third attempt our boy will finally prevail, gloriously, and quickens all Ovechkin's might then.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
the only reason i care about who initiated the fight is because Ovi went public saying Svech was "asking for it" and that would annoy me if that's not true. otherwise, the fight was obviously mutual.

disappointed to hear about Svech, but glad he's being honest and they are being cautious. he's a key part of this team, but his future is more crucial than this series as sad as it is to admit.

sending prayers out to him and the other healed players.

Norman Moscow

Jun 8, 2018
With peace here. Just some explanations , for sure they were talking russian.
"What are you doing, Son? Are you gonna fight?"
In russian it's just a WARNING, not an invitation.
And don't forget that Ovi is a natural southpaw.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Honestly i hope he doesnt play. Pissed me off seeing Martinook trying to skate on one leg. Our lack of depth is **** and thats on our owner.

I'm confused by that comment. Canes are down 3 top 9 forwards and at least have some decent AHL depth to call upon. How many teams have 3 NHLrs they can plug in if they lose 3 top 9 forwards?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
"Dick energy?" Ok.

Bingo. I mean why would OV take himself off the ice for 5+ minutes to fight some scrub? Crosby or Stamkos aren't about to try to throw with him. Says a lot to me that he willingly went with Svech.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Saying his head still hurts a bit wouldn’t necessarily mean because of the concussion. He’s wearing a full cage for a reason (my speculation is multiple stitches inside his mouth).

That’s being said if he is still having concussion symptoms/ pain obviously he should not - and would not be cleared to play

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Is Ferland really top-6, or was he just a passenger on the Aho-TT train? Everything I've seen since he left that line suggests passenger.
even if just a passenger he's a guy that we can slot from the 3rd line up to a top 6 role. We need more of that. Plus his nagging injury is upper body, i would be curious to know how much that is affecting what he can do offensively.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Is Ferland really top-6, or was he just a passenger on the Aho-TT train? Everything I've seen since he left that line suggests passenger.

That may be correct, but not every top 6 player drives a line, there are a number that are still top 6, but in a passenger/complimentary role and do so quite successfully. Also, I'm not sure what we even have in Ferland because he was off and on injured for half the season. Was his early season play just because he was Aho/TT? Or also because he was healthy?

That said, you bring up a good point. If he's just a passenger and his style leads to frequent injuries, he's probably not a guy the Canes want to pony up a lot of money for.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
even if just a passenger he's a guy that we can slot from the 3rd line up to a top 6 role. We need more of that. Plus his nagging injury is upper body, i would be curious to know how much that is affecting what he can do offensively.

Ninja edit before I could make an inappropriate joke. Nice!

I agree that a player on the 3rd line that can slot up and be effective is valuable. And I also agree that his injury is certainly contributing to his play. But, do we really want to pay him top six money to find out? I think that is too big a risk. And in terms of replacement of what we were getting for the majority of the season here, he wasn't producing as a top 6 guy, even if he is capable of it when healthy.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s always been a passenger, just as Lindy is. The point has always been that he’s a good passenger. He’s not supposed to be a driver, he’s a finisher who can play big. That’s still a top six guy.

Anyone who can score 20 goals is a top six player in the current NHL. Depends how you use them.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If Ovechkin asks "Are you trying to fight me?" and then Svech nods as seen on video, both of them can reasonably say the other initiated the fight without lying.

Just curious, are Canes fans trying to justify things on the Caps board in a thread on this topic? (serious question as I'm not wandering over there). I get that you are trying to provide a potential (although I don't think it's reasonable) rationale for what went on, but you aren't going to sway anyone's opinion by going on another teams' board with your posts about it.

I find it hard to believe Svech would ask, but so be it. In the end, both agreed to fight so "who asked" is pretty meaningless.

Jun 15, 2007
Just curious, are Canes fans trying to justify things on the Caps board in a thread on this topic? (serious question as I'm not wandering over there). I get that you are trying to provide a potential (although I don't think it's reasonable) rationale for what went on, but you aren't going to sway anyone's opinion by going on another teams' board with your posts about it.

I find it hard to believe Svech would ask, but so be it. In the end, both agreed to fight so "who asked" is pretty meaningless.

Lmao I didn't even realize this was the canes board. Theres a list of thread at the top and I saw this one. Thought it was main board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad