Injury Report: Svechnikov: Concussion Protocol

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I have this strange feeling Svech will be an absolute beast after this. He's fearless in the true sense of the word. You can see it in his eyes when they show replays. He's a unit just like Ovi. Just a much younger inexperienced one.
As good and confident as Ovi was as a rookie, there's no way he would have challenged a veteran superstar who has at least 30/40 lbs on him, especially a fellow countryman, to a fight. That would probably be the smart move but this all just shows how confident Svech is. And once he grows into his body and gains experience, he's just going to be an absolute unit out there.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
No reason to play him Saturday I don't think. Give him the extra days and bring him back at home when you can more easily control the matchups.

There's one reason I can think of. That it's the Stanley cup playoffs, and they are 2-2 against the defending champs and missing martinook and ferland. If hes not ready, dont play him. But if he is, nows not the time for dillydallying.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
As good and confident as Ovi was as a rookie, there's no way he would have challenged a veteran superstar who has at least 30/40 lbs on him, especially a fellow countryman, to a fight. That would probably be the smart move but this all just shows how confident Svech is. And once he grows into his body and gains experience, he's just going to be an absolute unit out there.

Except that it doesn't look like Svechnikov challenged Ovi...Ovi went after Svechnikov. Well, it would be possible that Ovi jumped him after Svechnikov asked but you can clearly see that Ovi dropped his gloves first and had his arms around Svechnikov while Andrei was still trying to lose his gloves. How Ovi got away without an instigator and without a suspension is beyond me.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's rare that both guys drop gloves simultaneously. Just because Ovi got his gloves off a nano-second ahead of Svech doesn't mean anything. To me it comes down to who has incentive to lie... which is clearly Ovi.

It wasn't a nano second.
And of course they don't always drop simultaneously. But in a fair fight, you wait until the other guy is ready...Ovi didn't.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I know it's been posted before, but I do think its noteworthy that Ovechkin hadn't fought anyone in 10 years before this. Is it possible that svechnikov just really got under his skin to where he didnt want to back down from a fight? Absolutely it is. Is it likely that hes the only person in a decade to do incite that reaction? Or the only person in a decade Ovechkin knew he would demolish?

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

giphy.gif

Edit isn’t as definitive :(

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Confirms what we knew already...Ovi was lying all the way. He challenged a much smaller rookie and, as if that wasn't cheap enough, even jumped him, not even giving him time to drop his gloves. Finally he keeps on ramming his head into the ice with full body weight when the fight was long over...and he gets away with all of this without a suspension or even a penalty. This is pathetic and I just lost all my respect for this clown.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Confirms what we knew already...Ovi was lying all the way. He challenged a much smaller rookie and, as if that wasn't cheap enough, even jumped him, not even giving him time to drop his gloves. Finally he keeps on ramming his head into the ice with full body weight when the fight was long over...and he gets away with all of this without a suspension or even a penalty. This is pathetic and I just lost all my respect for this clown.

All this confirms is what was already alluded to. OV said Svech initiated it, Svech said OV initiated it. Since they're the only ones who know the truth, the rest of us really can't say one way or the other.

As for the rest of your post, as I said before, you're seeing things that didn't happen, riling yourself up over your own perceptions.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

I somehow missed that part.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Except that it doesn't look like Svechnikov challenged Ovi...Ovi went after Svechnikov. Well, it would be possible that Ovi jumped him after Svechnikov asked but you can clearly see that Ovi dropped his gloves first and had his arms around Svechnikov while Andrei was still trying to lose his gloves. How Ovi got away without an instigator and without a suspension is beyond me.
Because RearDon said Svech challenged Ovi. Nuff said.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

You’re funny.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Blues fan in peace. Was checking to see an update on Svech and if he played tonight, didn't get to see much of your game due to the time lapse between ours and yours. Glad to hear it sounds like he'll be good to go for game 6. Members of the Blues board are pulling for you "bunch of jerks".
GO CANES!

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
All this confirms is what was already alluded to. OV said Svech initiated it, Svech said OV initiated it. Since they're the only ones who know the truth, the rest of us really can't say one way or the other.

As for the rest of your post, as I said before, you're seeing things that didn't happen, riling yourself up over your own perceptions.

Watching the replay, it's pretty clear OV initiated. Or Svech just nods yes to his own questions. "Am I going to attack you if now? Yes, I am!"

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Blues fan in peace. Was checking to see an update on Svech and if he played tonight, didn't get to see much of your game due to the time lapse between ours and yours. Glad to hear it sounds like he'll be good to go for game 6. Members of the Blues board are pulling for you "bunch of jerks".
GO CANES!

Go Blues :), I have y’all going to final

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Watching the replay, it's pretty clear OV initiated. Or Svech just nods yes to his own questions. "Am I going to attack you if now? Yes, I am!"

If you believe their side of the story, Svech asks for a fight, OV asks the equivalent of "Are you sure?", and then Svech nods.

Like I said, only two people know the truth, and both are giving different stories. Trying to claim for certainty that one guy or the other started it is a fool's errand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad