Confirmed with Link: Sutter out as Flames Coach

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think this is the right move. No matter how good a coach is, if he's lost the room then you gotta kick him to the curb, and Sutter was debatably not even good. Hopefully this is the end of overplaying mediocre vets and giving ice time to the youngins who showed quite a bit of promise.

However, I am not entirely convinced players that underperformed playing for him will suddenly go back to previous form. The Kadri that avalanche had was a massive outlier. I think Kadri's output this season is basically what he is at this point. Its in line with his career production.

As for Huberdeau, I don't think anyone is expecting 100 points out of him again, but his 4 year pace of 90 points is not even a guarantee either. He never clicked with anyone in the lineup and the current offensive talent is inferior to the Panthers teams that Huby played for. Hopefully off-season changes that

It's also worth noting that not everyone underperformed this season. Toffoli, Backlund and Zadorov had their best offensive seasons, Anderson matched last year's output.

Of course, since I'm of the notion the underachievers weren't majorly because of Suter, then it's only consistent of me to say the overachievers weren't necessarily because of Sutter either. I just think it worth mentioning
to those that that want to place significant blame on Sutter for certain players underperforming.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Why? He became Florida's coach by default, inherited a juggernaut, was out if his depth and thoroughly out-coached in the playoffs.
Rookie coach losing to Jon Copper isn't exactly unexpected. But I like the fact he was thrown into the fire did a pretty great job in the regular season was able to get the most out of our most expensive player, played a fun style of hockey to watch, and he has had a year to reflect on his mistakes and learn from them while being sn assistant on good team. As much as I would like to give Mitch a chance brunette has more experience especially with Huberdeau

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Totally right. Stupid Sutter supporters and their single shared brain cell, the Flames totally should have fired him immediately after he took home the NHL‘s best coach award. That sounds so much smarter that letting him continue with his system that got him that award. And he didn’t even have a captain that season either. Stupid Sutter supporters.
No they shouldn’t have gotten rid of him last offseason BUT they shouldn’t have given him an extension either. Sutter gets 3 seasons max before he pisses everyone off not sure why they thought it would be different

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
In less than a year Sutter destroyed his legacy and reputation. In the minds of a lot of fans he will now be thought of as a bitter, stubborn, and angry old man who sometimes went out of his way to embarrass and belittle others.
Good riddance.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Even in his first division winning season, as much as I was happy for that, I do recall that I had noticed that Sutter didn't seemed like the Sutter we had previously or the one that LA had.

This past season, by December, I definitely noticed the air and commentary was weird. February/March ish, it was blatantly obvious that the team looked scared and stiff. How much was Sutter and how much was other factors, I didn't know. Until now.

Damn. Thank goodness things were sorted out in the players favor.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
In less than a year Sutter destroyed his legacy and reputation. In the minds of a lot of fans he will now be thought of as a bitter, stubborn, and angry old man who sometimes went out of his way to embarrass and belittle others.
Good riddance.

Lmao. He lost the room, like every nhl coach in history. Calm down.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lmao. He lost the room, like every nhl coach in history. Calm down.
By all accounts he lost the room approximately 130 games into his 2nd stint as HC of the Flames. That has to be a record for any SC winning coach. Sutter is a petty bully with zero people skills and that just doesn't fly nowadays

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
By all accounts he lost the room approximately 130 games into his 2nd stint as HC of the Flames. That has to be a record for any SC winning coach. Sutter is a petty bully with zero people skills and that just doesn't fly nowadays
You clearly have an agenda here, so I hope you got some sweet gratification from your clickbait thread on the main board. You look really foolish posting the poorly written requote articles of the original Strang article, in which she just recounts Darryl Sutter's career, with all of the good and the bad. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That Win Column article is so poorly written. It clearly made it out without even one proofread. That John MacKinnon is so bad. Not to mention it's a clickbait requote of the Athletic's nothing article.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You clearly have an agenda here, so I hope you got some sweet gratification from your clickbait thread on the main board. You look really foolish posting the poorly written requote articles of the original Strang article, in which she just recounts Darryl Sutter's career, with all of the good and the bad. Nothing to see here.
That Win Column article is so poorly written. It clearly made it out without even one proofread. That John MacKinnon is so bad. Not to mention it's a clickbait requote of the Athletic's nothing article.
Speaking of “agendas” I don’t understand why you are so defensive of the guy still. The team made it clear they didn’t appreciate the Pelletier comments or the huberdeau ones. There was an alleged physical altercation, and he was fired after the Gm left because the guys were done with him. He doesn’t coach for Calgary anymore and there is no leg to stand on, so is he like your godfather or something?

He didn’t just lose the room, but alienated the entire organization and was way offside with his attitude. Again, good riddance to the prick.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Speaking of “agendas” I don’t understand why you are so defensive of the guy still. The team made it clear they didn’t appreciate the Pelletier comments or the huberdeau ones. There was an alleged physical altercation, and he was fired after the Gm left because the guys were done with him. He doesn’t coach for Calgary anymore and there is no leg to stand on, so is he like your godfather or something?

He didn’t just lose the room, but alienated the entire organization and was way offside with his attitude.
Where am I defending him? Other than saying he's a good coach, with an equal number of glowing reviews and bad ones as far as dealing with players, I know he's a dick who lost the room. I'm talking about this hyperbolic, inaccurate nonsense about toxicity and abuse. I don't like people running wild with clickbait horseshit. He's gruff with the media and hard on his players. That's it. I doubt anybody here read the Athletic article. You just saw the hockeyfeed headline, "SERIOUS ACCUSATIONS" and felt very gratified. There were no accusations.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Where am I defending him? Other than saying he's a good coach, I know he's a dick who lost the room. I'm talking about this hyperbolic, inaccurate nonsense about toxicity and abuse. I don't like people running wild with clickbait horseshit. He's gruff with the media and hard on his players. That's it. I doubt anybody here read the Athletic article. You just saw the hockeyfeed headline, "SERIOUS ACCUSATIONS" and felt very gratified. There were no accusations.
I did read the article lol.

Just making it clear, you would not describe his tenure as toxic and abusive?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I did read the article lol.

Just making it clear, you would not describe his tenure as toxic and abusive?
Please post the direct quotes from Flames personnel/players that say his tenure was toxic and abusive. No Valji/Francis/Seravalli spitballing speculation permitted.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad