Confirmed with Link: Sutter out as Flames Coach

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
1682964565023.jpeg

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Backlund doesn't want out because of Sutter. He wants out because he's turning 35, still playing hockey at a high level and the team looks no where close to competing for a cup.

He made his trade request last summer after Gaudreau and Tkachuk left. He stayed because (on paper) it looked like they salvaged the team's contention window.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Tkachuk - Bennett - Phillips
A line I constructed four years ago

Imagine if we had just one coach between Peters, Ward, Sutter with the intelligence, bravery, and sensibility to do what this dude on the internet said to do. Instead, next year none of those three will be a Flame.

p.s. can we send Kirk Muller and Ryan Huska off with him?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Backlund doesn't want out because of Sutter. He wants out because he's turning 35, still playing hockey at a high level and the team looks no where close to competing for a cup.

He made his trade request last summer after Gaudreau and Tkachuk left. He stayed because (on paper) it looked like they salvaged the team's contention window.
He can leave

Honestly he hasn’t really been the solution

Ideally, it should be a complete clean house

They ate Darryl’s contract. May as well eat some of Huberdeau and Kadri’s and send them their way out of town. The sooner the better.

Reactions: Tofveve

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Just saw that Sutter got fired. Congrats, I think he was holding your team back. Hopefully the Flames get competent GM and coaching replacements now who can work together and get the most out of the current roster, and make necessary changes and the tough decisions moving forward.

Gotta have a legit long term plan to win a Cup too, not just patching holes and making knee kerk reactions to make the playoffs and then hope the team caught fire in the playoffs, which it sometimes seemed like was the case with Tre. Anyways, good luck with a successful turnaround! Having 2 top tier Alberta teams and a super-competitive BoA rivalry is good for both Calgary and Edmonton.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Sorry where are you hearing that? Vid won’t play for me.
Have to watch it on youtube or it won't play for some reason. Relevant part starts at around 18:20:

"At one point, I'm told, Darryl Sutter expressed frustration on the bench for the powerplay and how it hadn't worked out. And the answer from the players was like 'we didn't work on the powerplay one time this season. Like literally not once. So if you wanna be critical of the powerplay, then maybe we should have worked on it.'"

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

After watching and listening to Maloney speak, I'm a fan. At least, far more of a fan then I was before.

He at least seems to understand the modern NHL. This direct quote (and the other one about young players being able to play at a younger age) in particular speaks to that:

"You look around the league, you have to have young players on entry level contracts that are not just putting in 6 to 7 minutes that can play meaningful minutes to have any kind of success"

Also, LOL at Francis asking if Treliving would be considered for the GM role again

On the other hand, one of Maloney's last quotes is fairly troubling:

"If anybody thinks Murray is removed or not paying attention then they are sadly mistaken"

Basically confirms that Murray Edwards is a meddler

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Seravalli still insisting Treliving left because they wouldn't let him fire Darryl, instead telling him to "manage" Darryl. But then the Flames give Maloney full autonomy to fire Darryl. When asked to actually explain what happened, Seravlli said it's "nuanced."

Maloney not tapdancing at all. "Darryl's style has a shelf life."

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Clean house please
No to Conroy. He was there ‘assisting’ Treliving with all those stupid decisions. Why anyone would think he’ll be different now. All the assistant coaches need to go also. The guy responsible for the goalie shouldn’t be allowed back in the building.

As for the players, other than the rookies, I really have no love left for most of them. Huberdeau, Kadri, Markstrom, Lindholm and even Backlund, leave please. You suck.

Reactions: lightstorm

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Clean house please
No to Conroy. He was there ‘assisting’ Treliving with all those stupid decisions. Why anyone would think he’ll be different now. All the assistant coaches need to go also. The guy responsible for the goalie shouldn’t be allowed back in the building.

As for the players, other than the rookies, I really have no love left for most of them. Huberdeau, Kadri, Markstrom, Lindholm and even Backlund, leave please. You suck.

IDK I really want to keep Lindholm for sure, other than that yeah I agree.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
IDK I really want to keep Lindholm for sure, other than that yeah I agree.
He is a good player but they are going to have to overpay to keep him

And for all his greatness, when was the last time he takes charge on important games?

He lived off his line mates

Reactions: lightstorm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad