Confirmed with Link: Sutter out as Flames Coach

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
He can leave

Honestly he hasn’t really been the solution

Ideally, it should be a complete clean house

They ate Darryl’s contract. May as well eat some of Huberdeau and Kadri’s and send them their way out of town. The sooner the better.

I could stand seasons like Arizona has had or Edmonton had to amass 1st round picks. Then the fun of watching young kids develop is the thing. We need some genuine superstars get drafted here again (or a generational one for a first time).

Also we need a new arena. Maybe the premier will finally make that happen.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I could stand seasons like Arizona has had or Edmonton had to amass 1st round picks. Then the fun of watching young kids develop is the thing. We need some genuine superstars get drafted here again (or a generational one for a first time).

Also we need a new arena. Maybe the premier will finally make that happen.

Then we'll have to draft one outside of the top 5 because ownership would rather have a few games of playoff revenue every season than rebuild. Whoever ends up taking over is going to have to really dial in on scouting and development.

Reactions: Tofveve

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
Darryl Sutter left the team in shambles twice due to his ego and pettiness and people wish him nothing but the best?

I'm so tired of the narrative he's a hard noses old school coach that those soft players couldn't handle.

Darryl Sutter is an old guy who places demands on others but not on himself, disrespects and buries players he doesn't like while overplaying his favourites no matter what.

A real, old-school man doesn't disrespect another guy publicly just to play his petty, pathetic-games with his GM.

Nazem Kadri flat out quit on this team and Darryl Sutter scratched him for how many games? Ruzicka and Phillips were shown the door and Kadri was getting his minutes, controller disconnected.

F off Darryl. F off.
You completely lose the argument when you say Sutter left the team in shambles… the team didn’t make the playoffs by 2 points. Not sure how you consider that leaving the team in shambles… I mean, the guy is the reigning Jack Adam’s winner. Whatever though. He probably wouldn’t hear you telling him to F off cause he’s got his 2 cup rings jammed in his ear.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
You completely lose the argument when you say Sutter left the team in shambles… the team didn’t make the playoffs by 2 points. Not sure how you consider that leaving the team in shambles… I mean, the guy is the reigning Jack Adam’s winner. Whatever though. He probably wouldn’t hear you telling him to F off cause he’s got his 2 cup rings jammed in his ear.
Bro, it’s obvious Sutter wore out his welcome. Sutter isn’t the first coach to get fired after winning the Jack Adams and he won’t be the last. I don’t care about two cups he won a decade ago if his methods aren’t currently working and wearing thin on multiple people within the franchise. He won those two cups with an entirely different team and during a different time period in the NHL. The game has changed quite a bit since 2014. And a lot of those guys on those Kings teams hated playing for Sutter too

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Then we'll have to draft one outside of the top 5 because ownership would rather have a few games of playoff revenue every season than rebuild. Whoever ends up taking over is going to have to really dial in on scouting and development.

If you interviewed 32 owners they'd all say they expect, and hope for playoff revenue every year. They'd say that if they happen to bottom out(which leads to a GM being fired, usually), they would tolerate cap flexibility, and low payroll costs afforded with youth for a while, but I guarantee you their patience is severely limited on missing the playoffs.

Do you know how bad (or miraculously lucky in the lottery) you have to actually be to draft 1st overall? Teams that get that bad really struggle to pull themselves out of it. Even when they get successive high picks.
When the Leafs were in the sewer due to incompetence in 2015, Shanahan said, "no shortcuts this time." They were luckily terrible enough to draft Matthews.
7 years later they finally get past the first round.

Remember Tim Murray? Hired as GM of the Sabres after they had totally collapsed in 2014? That was an instance of a team purposely tanking, which some people here think is the way to go. He traded everything away to try and secure the top odds in the McDavid lottery. They had the best odds but didn't get McDavid. He was then fired because of how bad he had made them. Almost 10 years later they still haven't even made the playoffs.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Huberdeau better back it up next year. Paul Maurice is an old school guy who yells at his players. He's coached more NHL games than Darryl. Look at Tkachuk over there.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Personally I'm excited to see a offensive strategy that goes beyond dump and chase, get it back to the point, float one in from 45ft.

I'd also just rather avoid going the retread route. There's a reason those guys don't last that long and teams get more mileage from coaches promoted from within like Bednar and Cooper. I want a guy that's able to grow and improve with the team. Huberdeau, Kadri, Toffoli, Lindholm, Andersson, Tanev, Markstrom, Backlund, Coleman whatever these guys are what they are. They shouldn't need someone to reinvent the wheel for them. It's the next wave of younger guys who need to be integrated properly, and playing for a coach they've played for before in Mitch Love could be a huge advantage for that.

Love has won AHL coach of the year twice in a row now. This shouldn't be a tough decision.

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Pointed it months ago how Sutter's ego wouldn't let him name a captain and that it very likely an issue in the lockerroom. Sutter cultists were predictably perplexed as their single shared brain cell was otherwise occupied in their veneration of their idol.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Pointed it months ago how Sutter's ego wouldn't let him name a captain and that it very likely an issue in the lockerroom. Sutter cultists were predictably perplexed as their single shared brain cell was otherwise occupied in their veneration of their idol.

If we are throwing out former Huberdeau coaches, Gallant coached him in junior :)

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
I’d be down with Love on the coaching staff, but I think you bring in someone with experience and have love learn at the nhl level with the understanding he’s the coach next time up.

See what you can get out of this team and if you tank and need to rebuild/retool you use Love for that and move forward from there.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Would the GM don't come first?

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006

Totally right. Stupid Sutter supporters and their single shared brain cell, the Flames totally should have fired him immediately after he took home the NHL‘s best coach award. That sounds so much smarter that letting him continue with his system that got him that award. And he didn’t even have a captain that season either. Stupid Sutter supporters.

Reactions: ChrisOsullivan

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If you interviewed 32 owners they'd all say they expect, and hope for playoff revenue every year. They'd say that if they happen to bottom out(which leads to a GM being fired, usually), they would tolerate cap flexibility, and low payroll costs afforded with youth for a while, but I guarantee you their patience is severely limited on missing the playoffs.

Do you know how bad (or miraculously lucky in the lottery) you have to actually be to draft 1st overall? Teams that get that bad really struggle to pull themselves out of it. Even when they get successive high picks.
When the Leafs were in the sewer due to incompetence in 2015, Shanahan said, "no shortcuts this time." They were luckily terrible enough to draft Matthews.
7 years later they finally get past the first round.

Remember Tim Murray? Hired as GM of the Sabres after they had totally collapsed in 2014? That was an instance of a team purposely tanking, which some people here think is the way to go. He traded everything away to try and secure the top odds in the McDavid lottery. They had the best odds but didn't get McDavid. He was then fired because of how bad he had made them. Almost 10 years later they still haven't even made the playoffs.

Then there are about 10 liars or dumbasses if that's the answer they give. Plenty of teams heading into this season should've known that the playoffs were not going to happen for them.

It takes a long time to build a proper playoff contender and many GMs fail at it. Doesn't mean it isn't the way every successful team is built even if there are plenty of failures. You need to either draft at the top for a bit to get the best players available or have great scouting and development to be able to find them in later rounds. We were lucky with Gaudreau in the 4th round but he's gone now and the other core pieces drafted high were all traded.

Bringing in a bunch of supplementary players from other teams looking for their payday and surrounding them with mid tier talent isn't going to be successful at anything besides giving you some playoff revenue before a 1st or 2nd round exit.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
Wonder if Gallant will bet available now that the NYR are out.
Not sure if we'd be interested, and I know a lot of people want Mitch Love.
I think Gallant stock has plummeted after this season in NYR. There was sympathy after the taxi ride firing in FLA, and certainly in LV as everything seemed to be going well, or well enough to suddenly be turfed. But in the brightest lights, with a team that many saw as the 3rd seed but still championed to come out of the East this playoff - he's chose the wrong playoffs to go out in round 1. He will work again, but certainly not as a top option for playoff teams.

Reactions: Boomstick

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022

Be fair? (I like(d) Trelving and Sutter),

You had Glue Gun, 3 Hills and then Ward, all 3 were hired by Tre and therefore, its safe to say that the teams best results should have come from one of those coaches, but it didn't? (If something as ridiculous as having a buffer, a captain was that important, they had those, where were the results?)

Players, especially today's players, have no idea what they need, what a team needs to be successful. You rarely see retired good players moving on to be coaches because they can't see what it takes to motivate 23 players vs. "numero uno". I, just like ownership, would have likely brought Sutter in because they had seen proven results in the past and felt this team really just needed a kick in the.... and it did, they had a great season last year, which fell short in round 2. We can't blame Tre nor Sutter for the exodus of American players to America (I've talked at length about the disadvantages of being an NHL team in Calgary) this wasn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last - no salary cap etc. can ever change that. If Calgary got in this year, we would have got by Vegas in round 1. Vegas will be out in 4-5 and only benefitted from the disfunction that was the Winnipeg Jets.

This will be an exciting off-season, but don't expect much better results next year based on a new coach and GM. The players underperformed and god how I hope Markstrom's .888 save percentage was because there wasn't a "C" on the team.

Reactions: Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

“In talking to various people around the league that have connections to Calgary, the sentiment was any trade requests that were out there, or demands so to speak, have been rescinded now that there’s been a coaching change. So that, I think, opens the door for some players who might have been hesitating to eventually re-sign… that’ll of course be the call of whoever’s the next general manager.. that’s part of the reason why it was so important from a competitive standpoint. It doesn’t really make sense to throw away an $83.5 million roster, whatever next season ends up being, on the basis of a $4 million coach.”

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Then there are about 10 liars or dumbasses if that's the answer they give. Plenty of teams heading into this season should've known that the playoffs were not going to happen for them.

It takes a long time to build a proper playoff contender and many GMs fail at it. Doesn't mean it isn't the way every successful team is built even if there are plenty of failures. You need to either draft at the top for a bit to get the best players available or have great scouting and development to be able to find them in later rounds. We were lucky with Gaudreau in the 4th round but he's gone now and the other core pieces drafted high were all traded.

Bringing in a bunch of supplementary players from other teams looking for their payday and surrounding them with mid tier talent isn't going to be successful at anything besides giving you some playoff revenue before a 1st or 2nd round exit.
The flames bottomed out and got their high picks in Bennett and Tkachuk who is now a superstar, they got their diamond in the rough in Gaudreau. They did your classic rebuild. They aren't there again yet.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The prospect of Gallant doesn't inspire as much as it used to. But the Rangers are built completely wrong for the playoffs. Then again, so are we.

Just go with Mitch Love and embrace the "re-tool" (in essence a thinly veiled tank that will go down against our will) under him. When we emerge from the rubble, either he'll have proven that he's good enough to navigate us into our window or he'll be our Jeff Blashill.

But I really hate the idea of hiring Love and keeping our past AHL coaches on staff. Huska and MacLean should be fired with immediate effect if that happens. At best, there are too many cooks in the kitchen, and at worst there will be heavy tension and a potential power struggle brewing

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The flames bottomed out and got their high picks in Bennett and Tkachuk who is now a superstar, they got their diamond in the rough in Gaudreau. They did your classic rebuild. They aren't there again yet.

Like I said, GMs fail at rebuilding all the time. It doesn't mean you double down on mediocrity. This team is not close to being a real Stanley Cup contender and the upcoming UFAs will be looking for retirement contracts. They need to be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad