Confirmed with Link: Sutter out as Flames Coach

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I have a soft spot for Darryl like i have a soft spot for Don Cherry. But everyone's time comes when it comes to employment. Very few can keep up with the "times". He was a lame duck coach big time once the playoff miss happened. Then became even lamer when Treliving left. The only alternative was demotion to video coach so they could of fired him for incompetence for looking for the VCR.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I wonder if they go Love it will entice Philips to resign here. No one is gonna be more familiar with him and should be the most capable to allow him to succeed

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wonder if they go Love it will entice Philips to resign here. No one is gonna be more familiar with him and should be the most capable to allow him to succeed
I actually don't think Phillips is as out of the door as he may have been earlier this year. If the Wranglers go far and Mitch Love gets promoted, we may be able to retain him. He's also a Calgary kid and I'm sure he'd rather continue with life here

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I actually don't think Phillips is as out of the door as he may have been earlier this year. If the Wranglers go far and Mitch Love gets promoted, we may be able to retain him. He's also a Calgary kid and I'm sure he'd rather continue with life here

If not I hope he goes to play in Norway.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Going to have to show a lot of love to Philips to come back. One way deal is the only way I can see him coming back.
But why, the only reason he was blocked was a HC, now he gets someone who coached him for 2 yrs and knows all hes strengths. I have a hard time believing he lands a one way deal anywhere

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Listened to the Eric Francis’ show last night with Pat Steinberg. He said that there were college free agents who the Flames tried to sign but didn’t want to come to Calgary because of Sutter’s treatment of younger players. He also said it extended beyond just players having issues with Darryl (training staff, equipment staff, assistants, etc.) and that the environment he created was toxic and not fun to come too. Sutter’s a HOF coach but you can’t keep around a coach who makes it difficult for your team to evolve. It was time to move on

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Listened to the Eric Francis’ show last night with Steinberg. He said that there were college free agents who the Flames tried to sign but didn’t want to come to Calgary because of Sutter’s treatment of younger players. He also said it extended beyond just players having issues with Darryl (train staff, equipment staff, assistants, etc.) and that the environment he created was toxic and not fun to come too. Sutter’s a HOF coach but you can’t keep around a coach who makes it difficult for your team to evolve. It was time to move on
Speaks volumes if support staff are complaining. Usually you treat those staff with utmost respect when you’re in a position of authority.

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
There.. Huberdeau, Kadri, that is their one and only “get out of jail free” card. The one and only mulligan they get. They are calling the shots, regarding what coach works for them, so they will likely be the ones to give the approval for the hiring of the next coach. If they fail as miserably next season, as they did they did this season, they should face the media and admit that the failure of the 22-23 season was on them, not Sutter.

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
Listened to the Eric Francis’ show last night with Pat Steinberg. He said that there were college free agents who the Flames tried to sign but didn’t want to come to Calgary because of Sutter’s treatment of younger players. He also said it extended beyond just players having issues with Darryl (training staff, equipment staff, assistants, etc.) and that the environment he created was toxic and not fun to come too. Sutter’s a HOF coach but you can’t keep around a coach who makes it difficult for your team to evolve. It was time to move on
Wow. What a complete failure then on Treliving if he didn’t fire Sutter in the season if Sutter was in fact that divisive. Or support staff for not communicating this. I’ll be waiting for the media to turn this sort of story into an “abuse of power” the same way that Babcock was projected when he put Marner on the spot.

While I understand big changes needed to be made, the failure of this season was on everyone. Huberdeau just made a blatant excuse yesterday for his mediocre play this year. Face the music bud.

A side note too… Reading/listening anything Francis I take with a grain of salt. He has some sort of vendetta against Sutter.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Wow. What a complete failure then on Treliving if he didn’t fire Sutter in the season if Sutter was in fact that divisive. Or support staff for not communicating this. I’ll be waiting for the media to turn this sort of story into an “abuse of power” the same way that Babcock was projected when he put Marner on the spot.

While I understand big changes needed to be made, the failure of this season was on everyone. Huberdeau just made a blatant excuse yesterday for his mediocre play this year. Face the music bud.

A side note too… Reading/listening anything Francis I take with a grain of salt. He has some sort of vendetta against Sutter.

How is this a failure on Treliving if some of the rumors were that he quit because he couldn't fire Sutter and couldn't really work with him either???

Reactions: Roadrage

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
How is this a failure on Treliving if some of the rumors were that he quit because he couldn't fire Sutter and couldn't really work with him either???
Well then if the rumours are true then you’re right, it wouldn’t be Treliving’s fault. I’ll wait for that rumour to be confirmed.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Don't trust Francis. Don't trust Seravalli. Tre needed a reset. He didn't renew his contract at key junctures when the club wanted to extend him. They miss the playoffs and he's finally had enough. Then he leaves and they fire Sutter. Sutter being the reason Tre left still compute with anybody? It's actually the other way around. Tre leaving in part lead to Darryl's firing. College free agents is made up bullshit.

Trust Maloney- "Darryl's demanding. His style has a shelf-life. Today's player has a voice." Maloney sat in on the player exit meetings. 2 + 2 = 4 - Huberdeau, Kadri, and perhaps more had tuned Darryl out and told management the team is washed up under Darryl. Tre leaves. Maloney concludes, new GM needing to pick his own coach + multiple key players sick of Darryl's style = Darryl fired.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Well then if the rumours are true then you’re right, it wouldn’t be Treliving’s fault. I’ll wait for that rumour to be confirmed.

It is believed a deteriorating relationship with Sutter played a major role in the GM’s decision, that the two could not continue working together and really hadn’t communicated well in some time. If Sutter didn’t have an extension, maybe the outcome is different.

I don't think something like this will ever be confirmed because of Sutter's status in Calgary. But I think that other rumors about how even the other employees had strained relationships with Sutter (not just the players) is enough to say that it was a major part of it.

Reactions: Tofveve

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
Don't trust Francis. Don't trust Seravalli. Tre needed a reset. He didn't renew his contract at key junctures when the club wanted to extend him. They miss the playoffs and he's finally had enough. Then he leaves and they fire Sutter. Sutter being the reason Tre left still compute with anybody? It's actually the other way around. Tre leaving in part lead to Darryl's firing. College free agents is made up bullshit.

Trust Maloney- "Darryl's demanding. His style has a shelf-life. Today's player has a voice." Maloney sat in on the player exit meetings. 2 + 2 = 4 - Huberdeau, Kadri, and perhaps more had tuned Darryl out and told management the team is washed up under Darryl. Tre leaves. Maloney concludes, new GM needing to pick his own coach + multiple key players sick of Darryl's style = Darryl fired.
Well said. The biggest college signing Coronato actually signed, so Francis’s theory is shot.

I used to read his writeups, but not anymore, way too opinionated that is written fact.

Reactions: Tofveve

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Thanks Darryl! I wish you nothing but the best.

Darryl Sutter left the team in shambles twice due to his ego and pettiness and people wish him nothing but the best?

I'm so tired of the narrative he's a hard noses old school coach that those soft players couldn't handle.

Darryl Sutter is an old guy who places demands on others but not on himself, disrespects and buries players he doesn't like while overplaying his favourites no matter what.

A real, old-school man doesn't disrespect another guy publicly just to play his petty, pathetic-games with his GM.

Nazem Kadri flat out quit on this team and Darryl Sutter scratched him for how many games? Ruzicka and Phillips were shown the door and Kadri was getting his minutes, controller disconnected.

F off Darryl. F off.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Steinberg speculated/reported that the contract offered to Treliving wasn’t very long or lucrative.

That’s mainly why he left IMO. Sutter was part of the problem obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad