TV: Survivor 44

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Sad to see Danny go.
Same, but I have to say, as much as I liked Danny and his attitude/strategy toward the game, he really came up short. I thought he could be Tony-esque early in the season. He seems like a very competitive guy and I'm sure it must have been killing him inside to be losing physical challenges to people like Frannie and Carson. No offense to those two, but if you look at it on paper Danny should win those.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Same, but I have to say, as much as I liked Danny and his attitude/strategy toward the game, he really came up short. I thought he could be Tony-esque early in the season. He seems like a very competitive guy and I'm sure it must have been killing him inside to be losing physical challenges to people like Frannie and Carson. No offense to those two, but if you look at it on paper Danny should win those.
Agreed on that part. No individual immunity wins from him is rather poor almost Jonathan Esque.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Amazes me people still watch this stuff.
I'm a long time fan, been watching since I was a kid (32 now), so I still enjoy the show. But they have gone way too far on the whole advantages and idols thing.

I miss the seasons where there were like max 3 idols the entire game - one on each starting beach, one at the merge beach. Now it's like every episode someone seems to find something, and a lot of them are so obviously planted by the producers as a way to either benefit a particular player, or to create drama or confusion. The fact that they literally created their own 'official' fake idols as a way to trip up players is really bad. The producers shouldn't be deliberately tripping up and interfering with gameplay, only facilitating it. There's just way too many advantages, idols, twists etc. now.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Quite the opposite for me... I just started a few years ago and I can't believe I haven't been watching it all along, lol.
My significant other is into it. So while spent most of my life hating on Survivor and other "reality" shows, I've gotten into it for her, with her in the past 3-4 years. Still hate Big Brother though.

Honestly when Survivor was released I didn't like reality shows. Still don't. But the bar has now changed. The reality shows I hate now are like Kasdashians/housewives bs. Survivor is more game show than reality TV as it's currently defined. Or at least how I justify it to myself, I don't know.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I started watching as a kid, half way through season 1. Parents introduced me to the show. Been a fan of reality competition tv most of my life, kinda a guilty pleasure. After all these years, despite dropping in quality overall imo, survivor still remains at the top of this show genre.

I watched big brother from ~season 2 but eventually dropped it by season 16/17. Just wasnt it anymore, lost its way.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
My significant other is into it. So while spent most of my life hating on Survivor and other "reality" shows, I've gotten into it for her, with her in the past 3-4 years. Still hate Big Brother though.

Honestly when Survivor was released I didn't like reality shows. Still don't. But the bar has now changed. The reality shows I hate now are like Kasdashians/housewives bs. Survivor is more game show than reality TV as it's currently defined. Or at least how I justify it to myself, I don't know.
My S/O also started me on these shows. I actually began on Big Brother... 20 was the first season I watched and then we went back and watched some of the highly rated older seasons. But BB is such a joke compared to Survivor and once I got into Survivor I could never go back to BB.

I agree with you about Survivor being more of a game show than 'reality' TV in the normal sense. I think the idea that it's 'reality TV' is what pushed me away from watching it in the past.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Might have been a million dollar decision there for Yam Yam or Carson. They chose emotionally, I think, and might have paved Carolyn's way straight to victory.

She seems incredibly well-liked by everyone and has been a very resilient and strong player throughout the game.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Might have been a million dollar decision there for Yam Yam or Carson. They chose emotionally, I think, and might have paved Carolyn's way straight to victory.

She seems incredibly well-liked by everyone and has been a very resilient and strong player throughout the game.

IMO only 1 of Carson, Yam Yam and Carolyn are making the final 3. Whichever one does, wins in a sweep 8-0-0 or maybe 7-1-0 vote.

Albeit I always forget there's the randomness of fire making.

At least a good player is going to win this one (any of those 3). I dislike Yam Yam and Carolyn, but they've done well while Carson is the standout best player this season easily, IMO. Jesse losing a few seasons ago was such a tragedy and a bunch of the winners recently have been super blah (Erika, Maryanne).

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
This fire making challenge at the end is so stupid. It absolutely needs to go, in my opinion.

A useless floater who drifted through the game making zero moves the entire season (aside from needlessly playing her idol) knocks out a power player. This one was even worse than watching Jesse get bumped last season.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
At least we didn't have another season where the jury awarded the win to whoever made fire.

I kinda figured Yam Yam would win by the time tribal ended, but I'm pretty shocked that Carolyn got zero votes. Especially when Heidi got a vote. I guess she had a tough time getting people to take her seriously.

And we got a 7-1-0 vote for the fourth time in a row. I feel like FTC is just a formality at this point. The jury almost always talks about it beforehand. Everybody votes the same since they're afraid to be wrong, and one person votes for someone else to give them second place.

It was an okay season overall. Jeff overhyped it though. Still too many twists/advantages (especially in the early merge episodes). The format is getting a bit stale too - three tribes, no real swaps, "earn the merge", reused challenges, firemaking challenge, etc. I wish they'd consider switching it up. Cast was pretty good though and the Tikas carried most of the season.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Disappointed Carolyn was a 0 vote finalist. But, Yam Yam played a strong game. I personally think Yam Yam trying to help Carson learn how to do fire so he didn't get embaressed pretty much cemented Carson going to jury for Yam Yam, and his interpretation of the Tika 3 was gonna be how the jury likely viewed that alliance dynamic.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Would have been crazy if all 3 Tika made the finals. I was rooting for Carolyn, but I'm happy/fine with a yam yam win. In the end, I think he had a better game than Carolyn. He was a great social player and really knew how to work people and get them on their sides.

And yeah fire is so boring at this point... Sucks having one less vote out. I get bored of watching 20+ mins of them practicing to make fire and just talking about it in general.

May have been my favourite season of the new era but I'm still desperately missing the make up of the older seasons.

And Jeff, when you start using samotion every single season at the final 4 the challenge no longer becomes a survivor classic... The novelty of that challenge is almost gone.

Glad they removed that stupid solve this word scramble for an advantage at the final 4/5 or whatever. We don't need that shit.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
This fire making challenge at the end is so stupid. It absolutely needs to go, in my opinion.

A useless floater who drifted through the game making zero moves the entire season (aside from needlessly playing her idol) knocks out a power player. This one was even worse than watching Jesse get bumped last season.

Disagree that this one was worse than Jesse, but yeah again the game's best player is out at 4 cause of that fire making challenge. That needs to be switched up no doubt. A complete re-thinking of how final 4 is handled is in order.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Disagree that this one was worse than Jesse, but yeah again the game's best player is out at 4 cause of that fire making challenge. That needs to be switched up no doubt. A complete re-thinking of how final 4 is handled is in order.
I only thought it was worse because Heidi was a floater all game... at least Jesse got beaten by an actual strong player and the eventual winner. Emotionally though, Jesse getting bumped was a heartbreaker. I really hate the F4.

Disappointed Carolyn was a 0 vote finalist. But, Yam Yam played a strong game. I personally think Yam Yam trying to help Carson learn how to do fire so he didn't get embaressed pretty much cemented Carson going to jury for Yam Yam, and his interpretation of the Tika 3 was gonna be how the jury likely viewed that alliance dynamic.
I think part of the other reason for zero votes is because Carolyn never really drove any moves, she played a good game, but I think the jury realized pretty clearly she was playing 3rd fiddle to Carson and Yam Yam. I think Danny's vote for Heidi was more symbolic than anything.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
At least we didn't have another season where the jury awarded the win to whoever made fire.

I kinda figured Yam Yam would win by the time tribal ended, but I'm pretty shocked that Carolyn got zero votes. Especially when Heidi got a vote. I guess she had a tough time getting people to take her seriously.

And we got a 7-1-0 vote for the fourth time in a row. I feel like FTC is just a formality at this point. The jury almost always talks about it beforehand. Everybody votes the same since they're afraid to be wrong, and one person votes for someone else to give them second place.

It was an okay season overall. Jeff overhyped it though. Still too many twists/advantages (especially in the early merge episodes). The format is getting a bit stale too - three tribes, no real swaps, "earn the merge", reused challenges, firemaking challenge, etc. I wish they'd consider switching it up. Cast was pretty good though and the Tikas carried most of the season.
Yeah Jeff definitely did overhype it. I really hope that they decrease the number of ridiculous twists throughout.

Another thought I had last night was wondering if application numbers are down. It seems the last two seasons in particular Jeff is really hammering home the suggestion that everyone applies to be on the show.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah Jeff definitely did overhype it. I really hope that they decrease the number of ridiculous twists throughout.

Another thought I had last night was wondering if application numbers are down. It seems the last two seasons in particular Jeff is really hammering home the suggestion that everyone applies to be on the show.

I'm going back and watching the old seasons on Paramount+ which here in Canada goes from S30 (Worlds Apart) to current, and just finished S30 and the big application push has been going on at least that long. He even got the entire cast to talk about it, repeatedly, even with the next season S31 Cambodia Second Chance being a whole cast of returnees. So I'm thinking that's not really the case, but idk. I'm sure they are way down from their peak, but doubt they are in trouble.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I'm going back and watching the old seasons on Paramount+ which here in Canada goes from S30 (Worlds Apart) to current, and just finished S30 and the big application push has been going on at least that long. He even got the entire cast to talk about it, repeatedly, even with the next season S31 Cambodia Second Chance being a whole cast of returnees. So I'm thinking that's not really the case, but idk. I'm sure they are way down from their peak, but doubt they are in trouble.
Yeah, it was just a feeling I had, wasn't really backed up by anything empirical.

My wife and I are doing the same, we usually start a new season toward the end of the live seasons. We're currently watching S32 - Kao Rong and I'm really loving it. (No spoilers please, I haven't seen it before).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad